The Martian Space Suit

Definitely looks like thin neoprene to me. Looks like the same texture that my wetsuit is. There are a couple sites that can print onto neoprene in 1 yardx1.5 year measurements based on an image you upload. I'll get a quote today with the patterns I made and see if I could get a bulk discounted order for everyone.

My Wild Country Vision v2 harness came in today. Not the accurate v1 used in the film but scooped it up off eBay for $30 so figured it's a back up in case the Greek source doesn't work.

Also, regarding the head lights. Another thought is that it's a handheld or miniature projector...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434634747.939377.jpg

kaffemustasj;3675650 Seems like you have already done most of the work with the 3D models. They are easy to fasten to the suit with just an orange strap. What modeling software did you use?[/QUOTE said:
Yeah with that last set pic I have more than enough regerende to finish the wrist monitor this week. I started with sketch up for quick prototyping but now using blender. What would be best for you guys as an output file?

Yeah with that last set pic I have more than enough regerende to finish the wrist monitor this week. I started with sketch up for quick prototyping but now using blender. What would be best for you guys as an output file?

Stl is the best for me

+1 for stl.
Regarding the head mounted gadget, I'm thinking it's a camera.
We know from the book that the astronauts wear cameras on their helmets. If I remember correctly the lights on the helmet were on the other side. So, even though the gadget may not be a real camera, I think it's supposed to be a camera.
The camera shape looks like it's based on one of the sony action cameras.

I will try to 3D model the shape anyways, because I can't really buy an action cam to mod for this project.

Im making it so that the white part is universal and was thinking of making the orange part a sort of swappable orange cartridge. This would be in 3 variations (iPhone, android, samsung galaxy or something) which can be downloaded separately. I'll upload a sketch tomorrow, out of town atm.

- - - Updated - - -

+1 for stl.
Regarding the head mounted gadget, I'm thinking it's a camera.
We know from the book that the astronauts wear cameras on their helmets. If I remember correctly the lights on the helmet were on the other side. So, even though the gadget may not be a real camera, I think it's supposed to be a camera.
The camera shape looks like it's based on one of the sony action cameras.

I will try to 3D model the shape anyways, because I can't really buy an action cam to mod for this project.

If you look closely you can see there is a mechanism in the backpack which folds up and presents a gopro. That's why I think the head mounted units are not cameras but really are lights in a custom case. I'll run the wrist design in a 3d printer this weekend for some fabrication testing.

Cheers

While you guys work on that, I'll make us a pattern for the undersuit in photoshop and get a quote on the fabric.

Im making it so that the white part is universal and was thinking of making the orange part a sort of swappable orange cartridge. This would be in 3 variations (iPhone, android, samsung galaxy or something) which can be downloaded separately. I'll upload a sketch tomorrow, out of town atm.

That makes it much easier to paint the different colors as well.
So you're thinking the computer will be two different cases? One case which fits the phone then the outer case to fit the phone case?
I think that's a great idea. Hopefully I'll be able to modify the phone case to fit a LG G3. I'll upload the modifications after doing a test print for the G3. Just need to finish building my prusa i3 first.

While you guys work on that, I'll make us a pattern for the undersuit in photoshop and get a quote on the fabric.

This is what I'm most interested in hearing. Getting a accurate fabric would probably be the hardest for me to do at home.
Do you have any experience sewing neoprene or similar elastic fabrics?

kaffemustasj;3676536This is what I'm most interested in hearing. Getting a accurate fabric would probably be the hardest for me to do at home. Do you have any experience sewing neoprene or similar elastic fabrics?[/QUOTE said:
I haven't sewn neoprene before but I've helped some guys in the area on their Spider-Man costumes.

Edit: well, last week I found ONE UK vendor who advertised having an XL vision v1 harness in red in stock. Just received it...

wkm8q3Wh.jpg

Ugh

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it helps anything here, but I believe Scott and Co. have based the designs for the base suit on compression suit ideas that are right now being championed at MIT. The idea is that you create a pressure suit that adheres to the skin, rather than being inflated off of it, to protect from an environment with no air pressure. You can see in the pictures the tight-fitting look of the spacesuits, so they may have decided on base materials, like neoprene, in conjunction with what will be used for these suits in the future.

http://newsoffice.mit.edu/2014/second-skin-spacesuits-0918

- Master Tej -

Got an email that the blue one was their last one so it looks like I'm modifying it to work.

Luckily with my v2 I have almost the correct color in everything except the waist. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434899729.044221.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434899737.982249.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434899754.257318.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434899784.689276.jpg

Sorry for bad quality. Phone pics. Once I modify it I'll set up higher quality ones

I'm new to fabric cosplaying. . . So forgive a potentially foolish inquiry.
If I were to put together the fabric portion of this spacesuit where would I start? I will presume I will need some form of pattern and the fabric, could someone guide me in the direction of those?
Also, Jockey, I can help with the 3D printed wrist computer. I have access to a Makerbot and would be happy to print one off or help finish the model. I am also looking at doing the rest of the external helmet parts, be they lights or cameras.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm new to fabric cosplaying. . . So forgive a potentially foolish inquiry.
If I were to put together the fabric portion of this spacesuit where would I start? I will presume I will need some form of pattern and the fabric, could someone guide me in the direction of those?

Find yourself a good jumpsuit pattern and then sketch on the sections. This suit looks like it fits a bit big (not totally skin tight). We're working on getting a quote on custom printed neoprene. I would do a run if it's reasonably priced.

Last edited:
Have you been able to source the wide gray webbing WBE?

All I can find are 50mm (2"). Nothing I've found looks accurate.

Also . . .

Orange buckles!

20150623_111119.jpg

20150623_110906.jpg

20150623_112243.jpg

Honestly I think they recycled some unneeded webbing from the harness to add the straps with the Orange buckles. When I get home I'll measure the width of what I'm talking about and see if it's 30mm.

Check out the soles of the shoes.

And the matching tote bag.

-MJ

Attachments

• the_martian_61-cropped.jpg
    the_martian_61-cropped.jpg
    942.4 KB · Views: 1,129

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back