The Martian helmet buildthread[CAD & 3D-print] - [FINISHED]

After pretty much a full week of non-stop printing, all the parts are printed. Not pictured, all the smaller pieces I did with my resin printer. Now for sanding, filling, sanding, filling, sanding...
IMG_20190110_200335.jpg

Things are coming along! So fun to be in the finishing phase, I was sanding and filling for so long...
IMG_20190207_205555.jpg

Really nice finish!
No doubt about lots of sanding - that just goes hand-in-hand with 3D printing.
But so does scratch building other ways too.

Looking real good there thepoynt!
I did finally get word this week that my visor guy started work on converting my printed bucks into the final form needed. Sadly things got a little more involved than I was first told. Basically (for the big dome) I want them to be at least 3 mm thick, and that thickness they will likely be very hard to remove from the buck once formed due to there being some negative draft around the u-shaped areas, or "ear-areas". What he will do is to make a silicon cape onto a removable inner core. I'm confident that this, albeit expensive method, will work. I'm really looking forward to him to start forming the parts.

My wife bought these designs for my birthday in January! I've been a member on The RPF for a while but have never had anything to post until now. I have a couple more things to print, the left light and the bucks for the domes. I can't wait to post some of my own wip pics.

My wife bought these designs for my birthday in January! I've been a member on The RPF for a while but have never had anything to post until now. I have a couple more things to print, the left light and the bucks for the domes. I can't wait to post some of my own wip pics.

I had so much fun on this project - you'll love it!

One tip that would have saved me some money - I first ordered the decals from a place online, done on clear vinyl. I thought due to the size of the bigger ones that would be better than doing them as decals. Turns out the thickness of the vinyl made the edges very obvious. I ended up printing them myself on decal paper and that worked really well, and there's really no thickness to speak of; it looks like the details are printed directly on the helmet. So I'd recommend that, or if you can get clear stickers. Just not vinyl.

I had so much fun on this project - you'll love it!

One tip that would have saved me some money - I first ordered the decals from a place online, done on clear vinyl. I thought due to the size of the bigger ones that would be better than doing them as decals. Turns out the thickness of the vinyl made the edges very obvious. I ended up printing them myself on decal paper and that worked really well, and there's really no thickness to speak of; it looks like the details are printed directly on the helmet. So I'd recommend that, or if you can get clear stickers. Just not vinyl.

This is the only part of the build I'm not worried about. I make custom football helmets and other sports promotional products for a living. We have clear and white convex material that's specifically formulated for helmets and curved surfaces. If I'm happy with what I can produce, I'll post some images of them on here and can probably make some for other people working on this project. I have a foil printing method that really makes bright colors pop. Speaking of colors, what color did you use for the orange and blue?

Cool! That was the part I was most worried about ;)

Both were custom mixed. The orange was mostly orange (x-6) Tamiya with some red and a tiny bit of black. The blue was a undercoat of silver, with a mix of translucent blue, green, and black over it.

So, attached is a zipped catalog of the .stls I made for the head harness. These are designed to fit the helmet without any modifications to the existing helmet. All that is needed is some appropriate screws to lock the parts in place(M3s). Assembly should be self explanatory. I thought I should share these for all people who bought my design on Etsy.

Attachments

• CAD_Gothenburg_Martian_helmet_head_harness.zip
    1 MB · Views: 257
  • Catia_img_2.JPG
    Catia_img_2.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG-7805.JPG
    IMG-7805.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 283
So, attached is a zipped catalog of the .stls I made for the head harness. These are designed to fit the helmet without any modifications to the existing helmet. All that is needed is some appropriate screws to lock the parts in place(M3s). Assembly should be self explanatory. I thought I should share these for all people who bought my design on Etsy.

Thanks! Something isn't right with the zip file though, it's either empty or corrupted or something.

Ok, I gave that a shot and even though it also threw an error saying it couldn't open the zip, it did get the files out somehow. Thanks again!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back