The Magic That Used To Be Saturday Morning

We didnt get cable until around 1991 and didn't get cartoon network until 2000 or so when adult swim wasn't crap and most of the good cartoons were on during the day. Now all the cartoon channels have monopolies on getting the new shows. I know cartoon network lost alot of stuff (especially anime) when other venues opened up channel wise.

Has anyone mentioned Bob McCallister's Wonderama? No one I talk to these days knows what I am talking about. It was a New Yark show that played in the Los Angeles market. It had a live audience and played games and ran cartoons. Anybody?

And hoestly, saturday morning was Looney Tunes.

Sure. I remember that. Used to run on Sundays. Watched it every week. I remember one show where Stan Lee was a guest.

What kids today don't understand is that back in the 70s - 80s there was an average of about 12 channels.
And only 3 of those channels had a sharp picture.
We had a couple extra ones on UHF that would air shows like the original Speed Racer and Kimba the White Lion.

But all that ended when this baby showed up....

800px-Push_button_cable_box.jpg

When you hear the horn, help is on the way!
YouTube - Wonder Bug

AND for those fellow naughty kids like me - if you stayed up really late on Saturday nights - 2am Hoouston Time, you could switch on PBS and find a slice of british heaven known as THE GOODIES. My buddies and I loved this show - mostly because hey showed bare BOOBS - and at 11 - that's all tv needed to get my viewership - heck that's all it needs now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raHNSIWOG4k&feature=related

speaking of which BIZARRE with John Byner was always good for a flash - This is the show that gave us Superdave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiTpuCVQ2CU

Last edited:
They even had killer after school programing, which was more of a local thing.

Little Rascals, Three Stooges, Superman (George Reeves), Speed Racer, Astro-Boy and Kimba the White Lion.

God how I loved the Little Rascals.

I don't remember many Saturday morning cartoons, but I remember rushing home to see GI Joe, Transformers, and Ghostbusters (the one with the gorilla) after school. I stayed with my grandparents until my mom got was finished at work, and they set me up with my own tv and a snack every day. I was living like a king. It was awesome.

I remember planning out my Saturdays, waking up early and waiting for the test pattern to go away. Then it would be the New Zoo Revue, Saturday Starcade, Pac-Man, Smurfs, Laff-a-lympics (and other various Hanna-Barbera shows) and of course the Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show. I'd know it was over when the Wide World of Sports came on (the agony of defeat indeed). As time went on, these shows would be replaced with others, but the fun stayed the same.

cobalt crimson said:
This is slightly off topic but anyone else miss Christmas specials? Back when cartoons had special episodes or they were making new xmas only shows like Frosty the snow man? The only modern cartoons i know that did it all got canceled thanks to cartoon network.

I do miss the holiday specials that would come out too, especially the Garfield ones. I think it's become incredibly hard for a show to break out enough to be viable enough for a dedicated special.

The cool thing was that you knew that everyone in your class had probably watched the same thing. We had like 2 cartoon channels on Saturday. And sometimes you had to fiddle with the antenna to clear up static.

I’m showing my age here but we couldn’t even record shows back then so if you weren’t playing outside or doing chores you were watching the same TV as your peers.
And if you missed an episode you had to hope they played it again.

The voice of Rudolph has passed, that makes me sad.

Some of the modern cartoons are good but man oh man Bugs Bunny still rules the roost. My daughter loves it!

Creature Feature rocked, loved the old horror movies that came on Saturday afternoon.

Thundarr the Barbarian!!! FTW!!!!!

Of course !

Saturday mornings were the best!

Here were my favorites:

Superman
Batman
Super Friends
Spiderman
Spiderman & His Amazing Friends
The Incredible Hulk
Dragon's Lair
The Littles
Defenders of the Earth
The Herculoids
Turbo Teen
Challenge of the Gobots
Thundarr the Barbarian
Danger Mouse
The Mighty Orbots
Dungeons and Dragons
G.I. Joe
Blackstar
Inhumanoids
Robotech
Tom & Jerry
Shazam
BraveStarr
The Adventures of Johnny Quest
The Centurians
Star Blazers
Looney Toons
Voltron
Thundercats
He-Man & The Masters of the Universe
Silverhawks
Transformers
Visionaries

Last edited:
God Yes, Up at 8, breakfast and toons/shows. Noon, the adult shows would come on, so Lunch then out on my bike or board to play in the world. One summer, 3 houses in my neighborhood were being built, all had giant dirt piles by them. Nothing like taking a triangular shaped dirt clod, and flicking pieces of it off, damaging the "Star Destroyer". Playing with my SW toys. I can't wait for my second childhood to do it again.

Hanna Barbera festival from 7:00am to 12:00 noon!! IStarting at 12:00pm noon American Bandstand....!

Crap I just aged myself!

Dang! How could I forget the Bugs Bunny Show!

Overture, curtain, lights
This is it, the night o' nights
No more rehearsing and nursing our parts
We know every part by heart
Overture, curtain, lights
This is it, to hit the heights
And, O what heights we'll hit
On with the show, this is it
Tonight what heights we'll hit
On with the show, this is it

Man! So many great old shows and great memories!

I grew up on Saturday morning cartoons/shows in the 70s-

So things like Krofft Supershow, Superfriends, The New Adventures of Batman, Fat Albert, Shazam!, Ark II (pretty much all of them have been mentioned). I also think I remember a show called "Kids Are People Too".

However in the 80s... I graduated to "after school" shows like GI Joe, Transformers, He-Man, M.A.S.K. etc. :lol

Kevin

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back