The Keep (1983 film)

Flecktarn92

I'm sure many of you have seen it but regardless what did you think. I just watched it, it has been hanging around on my Netflix instant for awhile. Supposedly its a hard movie to find as their are no DVD copies of it so if you have Netflix and haven't seen it I recommend it.

I thought it was pretty entertaining and overall a pretty good film but towards the end it got a little bit weird. The movie kind of lost itself within the plot. It seemed kind of rushed. The music was good, but mostly didn't really fit in a WWII movie (one or two parts fit were alright).

After I did a little research and I just seemed to really like it and looked around here if there were any threads or discussions about it but didn't really find anything.

I think it has a lot of potential and I would love to see a remake of it done right. I may go out and get the book and apparently theirs a short run comic of it as well.

And also are their any other GOOD films that have a similar theme ie Germans/Nazis getting involved into the occult/magic/ancient forces etc etc (I know Indiana Jones).

So long story short: discuss ;)

I dont get starstruck much, but when I met Michael Mann....that was one time. I had no idea why I liked this movie so much as a kid. Then Miami Vice showed up, The insider etc.

MM films are art to me. And art is totally subjective to the person viewing it. He has a talent for setting a tone that grabs the viewer into his world.

I am holding off on watching it as I am afraid it wont hold up to my memories.

But from what I remember, something about it was so cool to watch.

Have you seen Hellboy?

Ah yes, not for awhile though I remember the beginning. I'm gonna have to watch that again. Thanks for reminding me.

And Lear I kind of know what you mean. I've only seen a few of his newer films and by the way you described his movies I have a feeling that you will enjoy this movie.

It's a very strange film, I've never really felt this way after watching a movie before. Its very odd, the visuals, the story and the music all kind of make you love this film but at the same time (for a lack of a better term) hate it. Yet after you finish watching it and let it settle in for awhile you want to go back for seconds.

Tangerine Dream did the soundtrack and as I said in the first post it doesn't fit but its good music.

Let me reiterate. I did watch it when it came out on VHS in the 80's. I really hope it hols up to the test of time. Other loved flicks from the 80's did for me. But then again Im a MM fan.

Ever watch Manhunter?

Say what you will, I thought it was a decent movie with a few really cool shots scattered throughout. I loved the music as well.

The best shot in the movie is when that guy
Sticks his head in the wall and they do
That forever pullback to where he's just
A tiny dot.

At $4.00 shipping included I am probably gonna order the book.

And Kerr Avon when you say real do you mean there are actually movies with real elements of nazis and the occult?

The best shot in the movie is when that guy
Sticks his head in the wall and they do
That forever pullback to where he's just
A tiny dot.

That was a great scene!:thumbsup. I think I was in middle school when my older Brother was watching this and I caught a glimpse of that scene. Not a bad 80's film at all.

At $4.00 shipping included I am probably gonna order the book.

And Kerr Avon when you say real do you mean there are actually movies with real elements of nazis and the occult?

Yes, "The Outpost" is based on some actual experimentation on something called "The Bell" which involved some odd mangling of science and possible occult ties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bell_(German)

How much of it is true? Hard to say, but we know the Nazis were involved in some real oddball things.

I will definitely take this recommendation to heart. I'm a rather big Michael Mann fan and had always sort of wondered about this film.

Tangerine Dream also did the music for Risky Business.

I "Loved" this book and then I saw the movie and was a little let down. If you do get the book and like it you should check out some of the others written by F. Paul Wilson as they kind of tie together with some characters etc.

I'm glad you reminded me of this movie and the fact that it's on Netflix. I wanted to see it back in the 80's when I saw it featured on an FX show. I think it was 'Movie Magic' on the Discovery Channel.

I remember catching this on a late night movie showing on some channel in the early 90s and it always stuck with me for some reason. Hard to believe it isn't on dvd yet.

I first saw this on cable back in the '80s and remember liking it - there were definitely some cool shots in it (and I was a fan of MM's work).

Many years later I read the book and found it to be far superior to the film - particularly the concept of the talisman/weapon (it was much cooler and made a lot more sense in the book). Afterwards I went back and watched the film again - it didn't hold up very well (for me). Again, the weapon that they came up with for the film was pretty cheesy in comparison to the original concept (not sure why they felt the need to change it).

I'd be almost afraid to watch it again now - I have a feeling that I'd find it horrifically bad :unsure

I started watching it again last night. There are just so many cool moments in this movie. The slo-mo of the soldier bathed in light running toward the silver cross. The cool pull-back of the soldier looking through the opening in the wall. The incorporeal body of Molasar that looks like smoke going in reverse with the glowing eyes/brain.

See if you can find the novel. It's WAY better.

I read the book before the movie and this was my face.

:confused

Yup, agree. I am a huge fan of F. Paul Wilson and have read all of his stuff. This story is actually the first book in a long series. Although it can stand alone, the characters continue into other books, and also cross over into his other characters books as well.

I would love to see this redone right, its a great story.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back