The Grey

Risu

Master Member
A couple days ago I got a chance to watch a screener DVD of The Grey, which comes out in theaters in a couple weeks, and I've got to say it was a pretty great movie. Has anybody else here managed to see it yet?

Not yet, but looks decent. Kinda just looks like it is a simplistic movie though. I'm hoping for more than just...plane crash, Jedi vs wolves. Still may check it out though.

The payoff is the second half of the movie, when the characters have grown on you. The cinematography was also pretty nice, and as usual Liam Neeson plays a total badass.

Ultimately, I was left disappointed with this one for a few reasons.

Liam was strong, but probably a little too strong (but, was probably supposed to the echo the Alpha male of the wolf pack).

spoilers....

I thought the movie just grasped a little too much with the jump off the cliff into the trees, and wouldn't you know somehow the wolves were already there waiting... I can suspend belief, but c'mon.

Another open ending.... That's been played out to death... yeah, I know the scene after the credits is supposed to suggest some things, but even that was open.

I won't get into taping bottles to your hands to fight a wolf... :facepalm

They had a throwaway line that explained the wolves being over-aggressive, but it was unrealistic. As was the bottle-taping, but dramatically speaking it was cool.

I'm curious if the animal behavior came off as realistic or did they get a bit silly with them?
I've never been hunted by a wolf pack, so it's hard for me to say.

The size of the animals seemed to vary considerably from shot to shot.

I really dug it except for the ******* behind me that kept explaining things with his dad, and the four dick heads in front of us that kept laughing at parts that put a smile on your face at most, not cackling like a hyena.

spoiler: I hated the ending. John should have survived instead of getting into a boxing match with the wolf. What happened after the credits? I thought about staying but didn't.

spoiler: I hated the ending. John should have survived instead of getting into a boxing match with the wolf. What happened after the credits? I thought about staying but didn't.
Apparently the credit scene was Liam still alive resting on top of the dying alpha wolf. It wasn't clear if Liam was injured/dying...

I don't mind open endings... I just didn't like this movie much.

It lost me for a few reasons...

Killing of all the supporting characters.
The one character opting to stay behind... and apparently a strong willed character despite an injury.
The death defying leap from the cliff into the trees.
Taping little, tiny broken bottles and a knife into your hands to battle a wolf. C'mon... even the knife would have issues getting in there with fur and skin - not mention a large, vicious wolf attacking you.

But, the big one:
The wolves at the the base of the cliff, apparently waiting for the survivors.

I can suspend belief, I like movies with 'leaps of faith,' and huge plot holes, loops, twists, fate, kismet, coincidence and what have you... but, I was already on the fence due to the unlikable characters, despite going in wanting to like this movie.

Last edited:
...on the other hand, I just saw Man on a Ledge and while not stunningly original, was a very solid, fast passed action flick and worked pretty well for me. Yeah, uber-unbelievable... but fun (which The Grey seemed to miss).

I went to The Grey Friday because based on reviews it was the stronger of the two flicks. In fact, the reviews had me to the point where I pretty much wrote off and wasn't going to see Man on a Ledge and that The Grey was that much more a better film.

I liked Man on a Ledge considerably more than The Grey. Maybe it was because I went in with lower expectations? I don't care much for Sam Worthington (and dig Liam Neeson quite a bit), I do like Elizabeth Banks but I'm so accustomed to her in comedic roles that her seriousness in this almost took me out of the movie... but I got over that.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back