The Grey

wow, i thought it was an amazing movie. its a shame to see you guys ****ting on it.

Don't worry about it, the folks here complain about every movie (unless it is made by Nolan - then it can only be great) :rolleyes

Although I did not stay for the credits and still loved the ending, it is nice to know that final scene was there - wish I would have seen that.

I just saw it with my buddy, and I liked it. Anyone else feel grateful to be alive, and not stranded miles upon miles from your loved ones? I went home and immediately kissed my wife.... Which I do all the time anyway.

Hope that ending scene spoke about with Neeson winning will be on the DVD extras..
However I have to disagree with the majority I thought the film was excellent and refreshing. I missed the scene at the end of the credits and I watched it on youtube and it made the ending make sense.

I did enjoy it but didn't like some things- the wolves were almost 'magic' wolves or something. Almost came off like robots or aliens or something.

And the men were walking through the knee deep snow- until they had to run and then they had no problem with it. Pretty inconsistant.

The scenery was beautiful and we we freezing the whole time from watching how cold the characters were- it really made us feel the snow.

I would have hated to be on the shoot- Liam in the water was just painful to watch- he must have been so cold!

Brian

I kept thinking that WY on Talget's hat was an early Weyland Yutanni reference , as the film had kind of an 'alien in the artic' feel.

grey-002.jpg

Last edited:
Saw it last night. Liked it a lot....and I love wolves.
Editing and cinematography were top notch.
Acting was great as each character was fully developed in the ensemble...I credit the actors here as they didn't all have lots of lines. they used them well.
Barely any CGI was a great thing. Real wolves and puppets worked very well, imo.

to me it played great as an ultimately simple survivalist tale with some complicated undertones.

definitely bleak.

Good discussion. Saw this a few weeks ago.

I would have liked to have seen a little more exposition with Ottway, as far as the flashback with his wife.

Here's a scene I would have liked to have seen:

EXT. SNOWBANK - AFTERNOON

A dreary landscape awaits the remaining three men. A river, clear and cold, slushes nearby. The rush of the river SPLASHES on the rocks nearby.

DIAZ collapses near a large, dead tree trunk. He cradles his injured arm as OTTWAY and HENDRICK stop to observe him.

Skipping past all of the stuff about Diaz deciding to stay where he is.

DIAZ
(quietly)
I can't go on, man. I'm done.

OTTWAY
You can do it. This isn't the end.

DIAZ
(breathes quietly)
How do you know? Why do you
keep going? You tell me.

HENDRICK turns to watch from a distance away. OTTWAY leans in close.

OTTWAY
How do I know? I don't know, okay?
I don't know if there's a light at the end
of the tunnel. I don't know.

DIAZ is holding is gut as he looks up at OTTWAY. DIAZ stares hard at OTTWAY.

DIAZ
Don't you have a wife to go back to, man?
I'm sure you have a whole house of brats.

OTTWAY
(apologetically)
No. She...

OTTWAY trails off momentarily, before refocusing his gaze on DIAZ.

OTTWAY
I don't know if we're going to die tonight.
Or tomorrow morning. I don't know if
the rescue's coming.

There's no black or white at the end of
the tunnel. There hasn't been for a while.

Don't you get it? It's just grey. It's all
just grey.

Hmm. (The formatting didn't stick through the post, for some reason.)

Andy

I went to see this movie about 2 weeks ago without any expectations and gave in, sat back and just enjoyed it as is.

It was dark, full of unlikeable characters, but I liked how Liam's character pushes on to fight to live again when he (before the crash) had nearly given up on life.

Luckily, I stayed for the credits as I sometimes do, since I like seeing who worked on it and what locations were used.

I was pleasantly suprised by the reveal ending that popped up, and it did tie up the story well in my opinion.

I'm curious if the animal behavior came off as realistic or did they get a bit silly with them?
It has wolves attacking humans, so not realistic at all.

My wife volunteers in a wildlife educations center. They have two grey wolves and an Arctic wolf.

Wolves do NOT attack humans, unless:

1). They are protecting their young.
2). They are rabid (or otherwise out of their normal frame of mind).
3). They have had absolutely NO other source of food for weeks on end.

Movies like this are what support the myths that then allow people to hunt wolves from helicopters, etc. It's a bunch of ignorant, untrue beliefs about the animal.

I liked the film. Liam was excellent as always.

I'm glad they didn't go for the soppy Hollywood ending, that would have spoiled it for me. I loved the drama of the stand-off between Liam and the alpha at the end.

It is a bleak film overall and it doesn't really redeem itself during the story arc, but the tension and drama of the story sustain it and makes it very watchable, once you get into it.

It is unrealistic in the portrayal of wolves, but this is drama not reality. The wolves serve a function within the story and provide an ever-present threat, not to mention a few great fright moments.

Only idiots would want to kill wolves because they saw this film; the same people who want to kill a great white shark because they saw 'Jaws'. However, politically it's a bit of a bad time for the film to be released in America as grey wolves are no longer a protected species BBC News - Congress strips grey wolf endangered species protection which will likely lead to an increase in game hunting kills.

Wolf populations worldwide: List of grey wolf populations by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the British isles, we wiped out our entire wolf populations hundreds of years ago. Although recently there has been talk of reintroducing wolves to the scottish highlands.

But putting real-world ecological issues aside, I thought the film was a good piece of entertainment, bleak but worthwhile overall.

Caught this the other day and wasn't expecting much beyond Neeson being 'survival wolf-expert guru' and replicating his recent action roles which are entertaining enough but lightweight and pretty much a misplaced use of his talents, imo - I was more than pleasantly surprised and consider it a great little movie, quite touching at points and very well crafted. And the end is absolutely perfect, poetic indeed. Great stuff.

I watched this movie last night, I jumped 30 feet every time one of the wolves attacked, I wasn't prepared for that ****. Great movie wish I knew what happened at the end though.

I am pretty late to this game but the Grey just came out on Netflix and I have been looking forward to seeing it. Wow, was I left disappointed.

I used to watch movies with a very critical eye toward trying to figure everything out... and I have ruined a lot of movies for myself that way. I purposefully try NOT to see where a movie is going (although sometimes you just can't help it because it is so painfully obvious), so, when we get to the end of the Grey I didn't know that Liam's wife was dead and that reveal negated everything that had come before. Part of his pep talk and way of motivating others was to have them focus on what they were fighting for and what they were returning to. He fights the hardest, only for us to find out in the last minutes of the movie that he is fighting for nothing at all! To me that just pulled the rug right out from under everything I had seen for the past hour and a half and all the flashbacks that we had been shown. Maybe I did that to myself by not reading the signs along the way more clearly, but I feel like they gutted the him in the last moment. I don't even care about it being left open ended because at that point, what does it matter if he lives or dies?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back