The first rule of Duck Club is...

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Gytheran, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

You must own a duck.

Well, she arrived. It's not 100% accurate, but it's by far close enough. I figure these weights are all going to vary in their details and I don't believe we will ever find one that completely matches what's seen on screen. That being said, I am very pleased with this one. :D

Thank you again for the heads up, Gabe. This is a pretty neat prop not found in every BR collection. :)

Also, here's my meager BR collection. It would look better had I still owned my DrS badge, but for now I have the most important items; the wiskey glass and pistol... oh... and a DUCK. :D

Sorry, I don't have the proper lighting and decor to pull it off correctly. Perhaps I'll have to rectify that at some point. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. atacpdx

atacpdx Well-Known Member

You da man. Love the duck.

3. THEWRAPOFCONS

THEWRAPOFCONS Well-Known Member

I ahve been looking for those glasses for years, wheredo you get yours?

4. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

5. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

AWESOME water fowl. I was *so* hoping to snipe that one. :cry But glad a fellow fan got it. :D Here's a comparison between yours and the hero duck:

[​IMG]

Indeed the hands-down winner so far. :thumbsup I *MUST* upgrade mine now...

The second rule of Duck Club is that you must make a matchbook to handle all the opium we smoke in the den:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...dpost&p=1176172

E-mail me for the hi-res file. :D

The third rule of Duck Club is that each new owner must submit an essay about the significance of the opium duck in Deckard's universe. Here are a few possible theses:
    • opium = alternate reality (Deckard not knowing he's a replicant or a metaphor for the escape he craves from his empty, depsessing existence)
    • duck = majestic if free, roasted, BBQ, or al-orange if in captivity (Deckard being "little people" because he can be "retired" if he doesn't comply; his existence becomes more profound if he can escape his captivity and subservience
    • bronze = a symbol of using progress & technology to control nature (i.e., replicants replacing humans and animals) or a metaphor for the iron chains of slavery, which all replicants are born into
    • weight = the unbearable burden of Deckard's opressive existence and his hated profession
    • the duck's crest = metaphor for a unicorn's horn... (ok, I'm reaching here... :lol)
    Discuss.

- Gabe

6. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

MODs, please delete this thread. They shouldn't be talking about this.

7. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

• the duck's crest = metaphor for a unicorn's horn... (ok, I'm reaching here... :lol)
    The duck's crest is not a metaphor for a unicorn's horn, but symbolizes Deckard's insecurities and deficiencies in life, be it emotional, social, or er.. um... physical.

Thanks for that comparison. :) Oh, and... E-mail sent. :)

8. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

I'll be working on my essay this weekend, but here's my entry for parts one and two:

[attachmentid=6682]

At home with some of my modest collection. The Joker Card (thanks, Tony) and the unfinished Firefly Data Pad are easy, as are the Duck and the Matches ( :thumbsup , Gabe). Points go to folks that can identify the other two pieces shown here.

And here's a closer look at the Daffy one:

[attachmentid=6683]

A pretty good likeness of the screen used one. Though not perfect, it's close enough for me. I've got a set of the shot glasses in transit, so they'll soon be added to the scene, as well as another little piece that I may be ready to reveal soon..

9. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

WOOHOO...

What are we, five members now? STAND UP AND BE COUNTED. :D

- Gabe

10. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

...don't let Dick Cheny join.

Or was that the quail club?

11. Jayn

Jayn Sr Member

Hey.. nice CHICKEN ya got there..:) I would post about this, but you see, I can't..
    (besides, I already posted my essay in Gabe's 1st thread about the symbolism..)
    Jayn

ps- was hoping to get a recipe for duck soap here...

12. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

13. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Quack Quack.

14. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

Congrats. :)

Hey, I sent you an e-mail about the Hi Res *Duck Club* image, but didn't hear from you. Would you mind sending it to: gytheran at hotmail . com

15. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

I don't think I got it - but I've got an even better file with sharper text now thanks to Darkknight0667 so I'll send that over ASAP. :)

- Gabe

16. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

Pass it around, Gabe. Us lucky Duckers gotta stick together.

17. Kris

Kris Sr Member

I had a dream that I encountered a lot of Opium ducks on a table, but none where screen acurate .. the agony.

18. saxe coburg

saxe coburg Sr Member

What about the shot glass... I've been looking for one of those for a year and a half... any help would be great.

19. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

I just picked up a set a week ago on ebay. They're hard to come by, but they do show up occasionally.

20. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

Is there any chance you're not looking to keep it a complete set? :)

21. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

My Rev. 2 Duck flew in from Thailand today, and BOY, are its wings tired. :p

This thing weighs a TON. It's more than twice as heavy as the Rev. 1 Duck: 11.3 oz vs. 5.6 oz, and only half an inch difference in height. :p The bases of both ducks is hexagonal but with curved sides.

Here are comparison shots between it and my Rev. 1 Duck:

[​IMG]

I still love my Rev. 1 Duck - it's more delicate and has that "Black Stallion bronze horse figurine" thing going for it... :lol

Enjoy. :D

- Gabe

22. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

Okay, Gabe. New Duck means a new essay on it's meaning. I'll expect it to be at club headquarters by the weekend.

Sweet score, BTW. :thumbsup

23. amish

amish Sr Member

Very nice Gabe. I should mention that my Duck will be flying in from Thailand as well in the next 14 to 21 days :) You better make room in Duck Club.

Tom

24. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Tom: don't forget to post pics. We'll need to set up some sort of side-by-side gallery. We should also name our ducks, don't you think? :lol

Pete: the Duck Club founder is exempt from writing essays. :p I will actually select my successor based on the quality of essays (and ducks) submitted. Now bring me my opium pipe and some Snake Pit matches.... :angel

Gabriel Galt,
    Grand Mallard :D

25. tk421mv7

tk421mv7 Well-Known Member

I received my duck the day I left for vacation a week and a half ago.

However, my girlfriend has taken the camera with her for a week in Florida (on the company dime, no less) so I'll have to wait till she gets back before I can post my Duck Club Initiation Photo.

That will give me time to think up a name as well.

Soon we shall have an Army of Duckness...

26. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Oh, *THAT* actually hurt. :lol

I think I shall call the Rev. 2 Duck Mal: a tribute to Mal from Firefly (the bronze *DOES* kinda have a brown patina coat ;)) and Mallard, as in duck. :D

I shall name the smaller version Bucephalus, after the little bronze horse figurine in The Black Stallion:

[​IMG]

:)

- Gabe

27. tk421mv7

tk421mv7 Well-Known Member

Oh c'mon - it was funny...

On another note, after looking at your photo above with the duck next to the shot glass, I wanted to compare mine with my shot glass and was a little shocked to discover that my duck is quite the shorty as it barely comes above the blue ring.

Hmmm... "Short Round" Yep, that's my duck's name now - got the Harrison Ford connection and everything. :)

BTW, is your new-and-improved matchbook cover the same as the one as you sent me or do I need to get the upgrade?

28. amish

amish Sr Member

Hmmm, naming my duck, that will be fun :) Though I will wait for my duck to arrive as I will have to talk to it and understand it's personality before naming it. Then to find out if it is a he or she....

Oh the humanity.

29. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Tell you what, just ot play it safe, e-mail me again at proprunner@aol.com and I'll resend. :)

And on behalf of Duck Club, I hereby officially recognize "Short Round" as a full-feathered member (just so long as he doesn't belong to that $hithole, Club Obi-Wan... ;)

Tom: if I may recommend a name... Given that your handle is amish, and Harrison Ford played the lead role in Witness, and becuase your duck is also a pipsqueak (or is it pipsquack?), it's only fitting that he be named after the the namesake of the film's title - the little Amish lad from the Lapp family played by Lucas Haas named Samuel. :D

So let it be written, so let it be done.

- Gabe

30. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

Hey Gabe -

I realized this morning that my duck still hadn't been named, an so I got thinking. How about "Rick Duckard"?

31. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

APPROVED. :D

Here's a thought for a name: Daffy Lewis... :lol

- Gabe

32. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

I like. :)

Mind if I take it? :lol