The Expanse (Miller's Phone) hand link

Carwyn Morris

I'm planning on building the phone used in "the Expanse". After doing a bit of research it appears that there are 2 props being used for Miller's phone. I assume they have different functions or scene requirements (1 for holding and the other for placing down on a surface). The difference between the two is as far as I can see is the position of light emitter,one appears to be further forward than the other.
I've decided to go with the one you can see miller holding in his hand. So far all I've done is experiment with various sizes of acrylic to try and gauge the size of the prop and come up with a set of plans. I have no idea if these sizes are correct they are simply my best guess, if they are off I don't think they are off by much.

Attachments

• mill1.jpg
    mill1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 501
  • millerplan.jpg
    millerplan.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 558
  • step 4_6.jpg
    step 4_6.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 458
  • Step1_3.jpg
    Step1_3.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 583
Last edited:
it begins.jpg
It begins.
Just cutting out the parts ready. All the edges are going to need a proper clean and polish plus when I cut the part I dropped the blighter straight into my toolbox where it picked up some nasty scratches on the front and back which I'll have to remove.

OK I've stopped cutting stuff and gone back to the drawing board. After I saw ruug3r post about the hand terminal he's making I had a bit of a re-think.
So I went back to looking at the pics of the prop and not just Millers but ones of similar design and while I'm reasonably happy with the sizes I've arrived at, the internal goings on I know are completely wrong and overly complicated (at least more complicated than they need to be).

Here's the new design i've come up with and what I think might actually be going on inside the prop.

new 1.jpgexploded.jpg

exploded.jpg

new 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back