The Discovery Phaser Design is a Frankenstein of All The Cool Star Trek Phasers Rolled into one

PicasoX

Sr Member
The Discovery phaser is definitely a favorite of mine, especially considering all the thought that went into bringing in elements from previously used Federation phaser designs.

It is a brilliant Frankenstein of almost all (the cool) Star Trek Phasers rolled into one. (I was never a fan of any TNG props)

Using a slightly less pronounced humpback profile and gold accents of the kelvin phaser, the over all look, especially in the top body and P1 is reminiscent of the Classic TOS phaser but everything is much more beefy.

The side knob, P1 Release, 10 turn knob and rear cooling fins all come from the classic TOS phaser.

Throw in a removable P1 with rising site and rolling thumb wheel controls and add in the ratcheting, multi barrel nozzle from the Cage laser.

The rear palm swell in the grip resembles the movie Assault Phaser with a removable power cell, blended with a touch of Enterprise phase pistol handle. The Star Fleet Emblem on the rising hood comes from the Kelvin Communicator.

The color scheme is unique and cool, and the combination of colors work well together.

The communicator is pretty cool too, it uses the large size of the cage communicator and it mixes in the TOS communicator design and looks with the Wrath of Khan movie communicator and a touch of Enterprise communicator display screen.

I love how they use all the cool design features but still make them look less futuristic than the original phaser and communicator from the 60's

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more. I just wish someone besides Anovos was making the Phaser and no one is making the Communicator.

Like the soundtrack to Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, the Discovery Phaser deserves a better story to be dropped into.

My only design inputs would be for the emitter nozzle be the same overall design that it currently is, but fully machined aluminum, like the TOS Phaser II, and to drop the doofus Starfleet Insignia from the Phaser One site hood.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more. I just wish someone besides Anovos was making the Phaser and no one is making the Communicator.
McFarlane Toys had a contract to make one for about $20... but it was too accurate, and had too many features that the Anovos one had - and Anovos already had theirs out for $500... The Secret Hideout/CBS folks made McFarlane change it - he said no- that the changes would make it to in accurate and unsellable - so it died.

A Shame really I woulda bought one - and tried - but it went poof. I really do not understand the Secret hideout/CBS folks with these series, and their merchandising. There is precious little "stuff" out on these shows. I'm hoping that with the re-merger of CBS/Viacom etc. that the designs will be more "trek-ish" and the shows will be more cohesive as something recognizable as "star trek". If they can get their act together and produce a Pike era trek show that goes back to the format of weekly complete stories with real trek themes I'd be VERY happy.

Jedi Dade

Great Collection! Is that one of my Kelvin Phaser kits?

The Kelvin Phaser is from Sporak on the TPZ, so is the Kelvin Communicator

Phasers Clockwise

Sporak / Kelvin kit, Jlong / P1 kit, Wand / TOS, Master Replicas / Assault, Federation Surplus / Enterprise kit aka Brett Jones, and the Cage is from Thor the king on the TPZ, aka Corey White and of course the Anovos Discovery in the middle

Communicators Clockwise

Sporak / Kelvin kit, JTK / WOK, Thor the King / Cage, Esty / Discovery kit, Dstines / Alpha kit, Federation surplus / Enterprise kit

Last edited:
I got to say I hate Anovos and dealing with them but they do make a great discovery phaser, Heavy, solid, looks quality made, The first one they sent broke in shipping and I never got any compensation, but I did end up buying another one from a 3rd party and its great!

Last edited:
Like the soundtrack to Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, the Discovery Phaser deserves a better story to be dropped into.

My only design inputs would be for the emitter nozzle be the same overall design that it currently is, but fully machined aluminum, like the TOS Phaser II, and to drop the doofus Starfleet Insignia from the Phaser One site hood.
lol “doofus Starfleet Insignia” embossed on everything is overkill

yeah, well since this post Discovery has turned into a woke ass ridiculous show, lost me after season one, still cool phasers and communicators though.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back