The Definitive CW Arrow Thread

Did you see his bow!!!! Anyone got any screencaps/gifs/video of those 2 scenes where his bow transforms? First is when he's chasing the semi. And second is when he's going to his date with Felicity.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

I can take Some. Don't like the idea though ( seems like magic)

I like the bow. Wish I could replicate it! Basically he just took it apart and added mechanical mechanisms to make it fold. I think it's pretty cool. And how it strung itself when it was unstrung while chasing the semi.

Well, Season 3 has officially begun. It's time to get this thread rolling again with new information as it come along.

THE COLLAPSIBLE BOW

http://www.emeraldarchers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/output_GTAkV0.gif

http://www.emeraldarchers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/output_seNxwZ.gif

The laws of physics just went out the window on this one. This bow just cannot be made that small no matter how hard you want it to.

Yuck. Please, no more of this. I understand the reason for it. Cool, but I'd like to just forget it ever happened. It works in Transformers, but not Arrow :( :thumbsdown :sick :facepalm

Last edited:
To be fair: "the laws of physics" went out the window when "The Flash" came into existence in the same universe.

Admittedly, I enjoyed the complete realism of the first season and the not-quite-realistic-but-still-very-grounded second season, but we've passed that now. A collapsible bow, especially one that restrings itself upon expanding, is a natural step along the path. We've been told that, despite the existence of super powers in the universe now, we won't see too much of them in Arrow. Even if we did: Green Arrow going up against metahumans isn't that new.

I'm honestly not trying to pick a fight, just trying to understand where the backlash is coming from over the collapsible bow, given how the universe has expanded.

This bow just cannot be made that small no matter how hard you want it to.

Yuck. Please, no more of this. I understand the reason for it. Cool, but I'd like to just forget it ever happened. It works in Transformers, but not Arrow :( :thumbsdown :sick :facepalm

Yeah, it didn't appeal to me at all either! This would explain the absence of a bow in the Season 3 promo posters though.

I don't think that has anything to do with the photos.

But yeah, Smallville did it MAYBE twice just to show it and then you know.

The reason I take issue with it, honestly? It's lazy.

Throw us a bone. It's easy!

Show the bow folding up to a compact size and stopping BEFORE it shrinks into a 4th dimensional portable hole.

OR

Wait until mid season (Once The Flash and The Atom are real characters) then give us a vague handwave like "Oh Ray Palmer used miniaturization tech on my bow"

See what I mean?

I dunno about lazy, that's a little harsh.

Convenient, totally. And not saying it's the best option, but the plan to do something like that take time and considerable effort.

I bet we will hardly see that again though.

It's annoying because the second time you see it fold it it's smaller then a phone it shrinks to palm size which just really irks on my because season 1 they used the recurve it's a classic bow and looks amazing, then season 2 they went with a compound/recurve hybrid and now season 3 it's like they want us to accept that they couldn't come up with a more realistic way to make the bow compact.

With Halloween coming up, and people struggling with finding similar and functional boots to use for cosplay, I came across some very adequate alternatives since the free runs are hard to get. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canvas-Comm...-Rangers-Gothic-Punk-Vegetarian-/151414250142 and http://www.ebay.com/itm/Franz-Kampf...s-Springerstiefel-Ranger-Gothic-/151417346957
They seem like a nice alternative!

P.S. I liked the bow folding until I realized how stupid it was he could put his bow in a pocket.

All your comments on the bow are great, but I couldn't have stated my opinion better than pinder. I think I slammed my hand down on my desk a couple of times when it happened. It’s not that it wasn't well done but it was OBVIOUSLY CGI. It was unnecessary. Too magical as mentioned above. My friend tells me it was in the comics. I don't care. Would those of you that don't mind it also not mind if Ollie throws a suitcase on the ground and it opens up to transform into his motorcycle? It's really no different.

It’s not like it’s a new bow either. It’s still his Oneida Kestrel. I can go on forever. You guys already said everything I was thinking. As pinder91 suggested, can we please forget it happened? Unless they bring it back. Then I can’t really ask that we don't speak of it again. :)

For the first time Ollie is broke. Now wasn't the time for what would be an enormously expensive upgrade. Its better to believe the bow had the ability to collapse the whole time and he just didn't use the feature till now. But my problem is with the fact that you can’t create the bow in real life if you had 100 million dollars. Or a billion for that matter. It sounds like were on the same page pinder. Accepting the collapsible bow as a viewer is completely different than accepting that someone can control the weather. Or run a mile in 3 seconds. We do realize we’re watching an adaptation of a comic book. It was simply unnecessary damn it. :)

One of the reasons the Kestrel is so awesome is because it’s a bow made for a killer (or super hero) but it’s compact. This thread is so damn thorough and accurate thanks to pinder and a few other members, that we get the opportunity to see a picture of a kestrel side by side with a Rajim Matrix Jr. They're very close in length when strung. During the cool scene when Ollie pulls a Superman with his costume change, it would have been so much more authentic IMO if he simply threw it in the long bag. Or quickly pulled the string from one end and just the limbs collapse in a somewhat believable way using CGI. Not collapse into an object the size of an iPhone. I'm done saying something negative about the best show on TV.

Except :) I also hate that Roy is also using a Ragim Matrix Jr bow. Barely modified and complete with factory plastic knobs. I mean how many people other than us crazy fanatics really think about it or even know about it? But still… The prop department must have so many of them… But one thing I'm sure we're all excited about is when time catches up and we see how Oliver gets his season 1 bow. Now I actually hope he brings the base bow back from Hong Kong and adds all the marine related components from what he finds when he's stranded back on the island. I always imagined we will see him carving the riser himself with wood from the island, since all the cool boat parts were cleverly added and engravings done. But if he at least brings the base bow back, it would explain how he was able to have perfect limbs and also explain how Roy could possibly have the same bow if its mass produced. However it happens, it’s much easier to look past Roy using a Ragim than it is to look past the "season 3 premier CGI Kestrel". But I already have since, if I haven't said it already, this is the best bloody show on television.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

I just wanted to say a massive thank you to you all. I've been desperately researching the Arrow costume and props in order to improve my own Arrow cosplay and this thread is by far the best resource I've found!!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back