The Classic Sicence Fiction and Horror films are being forgotten

Old time movies are awesome....glad they did not have the video game looking special effects. It made the movies feel real and relatable. Special effects are great but overused it feels like a video game.

Therea was a Chiller Theater with Bill Cardille broadcast from Pittsburgh. It was on Saturday nights I think about 1am it would air. For it's time, it was pretty damn cool. Cardille had a very small part in the original Night of the Living Dead as a tv reporter (his real job) and in the remake also.

YouTube - ‪Chiller Theater - Chilly Billy - Show open‬‏ The lady is from Get Smart

YouTube - ‪Chiller Theater - Chilly Billy - One More Time -Part 1‬‏ the intro music is so cool

Cardille was great on Chiller and in Night Of The Living Dead.
He popped up most recently in Autopsy Of The Dead; a new 2 hr and 24 minute documentary on Night Of The Living Dead

3rd Autopsy trailer

1st Autopsy trailer

2nd Autopsy trailer

Last edited:
Five of his best movies are talkies ...

Talkies. That's a word I haven't heard in a while :)

Trivia - Malta was colonised last by the British (till 1964 when it became an independent Republic). We have always had our own language, Maltese, but invariably, English words found themselves integrated into our vocabulary.

Going to the theatre / cinema, was refered to by the British of the day, particularly till the 1950's, as 'going to the talkies'.

Today, 2011, going to the cinema, in Maltese, is still refered to as going to the 'Tokis', the phonetically repeated English sound picked up by the Maltese at that time.

Though very few under the age of 30 here know the word's origin :unsure

Yeah, that's kind of like how the "record scratch" sound effect nowadays just means "ironic pause." Kids have no idea what that'd actually be about aside from, perhaps, some DJ doing something at a club. Nobody gets the concept of, say, bumping your turntable and hearing the actual record scratch. Or like how some songs start off with a "low-fi scratchy record" sound and then go to "normal" sounding. Nobody gets where that comes from either.

Quite right.

So sad, but true of so many things, including why the classic science fiction and horror films are being forgotten.

Speaking of records, reminds me of a "King Of The Hill" episode. Bobby and Joseph are looking through the Hills' closet and find their old records. Joseph pulled one from it's jacket and said "Dude, the computer this went into must have been huge!" :lol Funny and sad :(

I was shopping the other day and saw Cartridge World, a shop for recycled inkjet cartridges. I thought to myself, back in the day that could have been a shop for phono cartridges. And it reminded me that I used to shop in a store called Needle In A Haystack for phono stuff. Jeez I feel old :cry

It's true it's not a great state of affairs these days.

But every now and again you get a little ray of sunshine like the long awaited release of Island of Lost Souls. Not just a release but a blu-ray with a digitally restored transfer of the uncut theatrical version and load of extras from Criterion .

So not all is lost and some hope remains, even if younger audiences are apathetical. The classics may be there in as good a shape as possible ready for when appreciation may come again.

It's true it's not a great state of affairs these days.

But every now and again you get a little ray of sunshine like the long awaited release of Island of Lost Souls. Not just a release but a blu-ray with a digitally restored transfer of the uncut theatrical version and load of extras from Criterion .

So not all is lost and some hope remains, even if younger audiences are apathetical. The classics may be there in as good a shape as possible ready for when appreciation may come again.

You're absolutely right in that last statement. As two faced as this may sound, I have, in the past been rather picky, about what flims I wanted to see in my youth - scinece fiction and horror. As time went by, I dicovered some wonderful stuff I never really would have considered as a lad. I had discovered Humphrey Bogart as a tough dectective in the "Maltese Falcon" or a questionable character in "All Through the Night" or the rough looking but good hearted man in "The Afican Queen".

I guess all we more mature folks can do is pique the curiousity of the younger ones to explore the wealth of great films available.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back