The Book of Amun Ra (The Mummy 1999)

EDIT: Hang on... found a mistake.

Measuring the photo of the hero prop on the first page, the scale can't be right. When assuming a page width of about 240mm, this results in a page height of 321mm and a page thickness of 7mm. Then again, the hero prop seems to have much thicker book covers (front and back) than the stunt version adamata's kit was cast from. I guess the working hinges need the thinner pages though, so that the angles of the hinges more closely resemble the close-up shots of the hero prop in the movie.

Back to the drawing board for me!

Last edited:
Is it correct that the center of the page-hinge (light-blue circle in the attached image)
is placed exactly at the center of the book (between pages 3 and 4 - the blue line)? It's really difficult to discern from any photos or in the movie. In my image below the pages are now each 7 mm thick, while the front and back covers each measure 10 mm.

1591054881859.png

Also as I understand it only a few of the actual page designs were published. But why are people aiming at getting to six pages of content, while we would actually need 12 (as they are all double-sided)? Or are there any reused pages for the backsides?

Last edited:
Is it correct that the center of the page-hinge (light-blue circle in the attached image)
is placed exactly at the center of the book (between pages 3 and 4 - the blue line)? It's really difficult to discern from any photos or in the movie. In my image below the pages are now each 7 mm thick, while the front and back covers each measure 10 mm.

View attachment 1305201
This is as good as i could get, a shot of the hinge at centerline. But its the stunt prop, and god knows how correct i was.
20200601_195821.jpg
20200601_195814.jpg

Thanks! I think that's good enough to justify placing the hinge at the center. It just looks like the pages and the covers are about the same thickness, which is obviously not the case with the hero prop.

Thanks! I think that's good enough to justify placing the hinge at the center. It just looks like the pages and the covers are about the same thickness, which is obviously not the case with the hero prop.
Full disclosure. This is the book of the dead. So they may differ

Oh I know, that's the one I'm going to make anyway. But this thread had more and better info than your Book of the Dead thread ;)

I would assume them being siblings makes them very similar though.

looking at the hero prop from the first page it seems the hinge is lower, as the top two pages would fall above the hinge, and the cover has a small cutout for the first pages hinges as well.

Anyone have any progress on this? I’m trying to figure out how I can make this with foam core, to be lighter, the hinges are majorly throwing me off, if anyone has a breakdown for them, (like mentioned above, for a newbie/idiot!) I would very much be interested!! I’m now trying to figure out how to do a turning key to pop the locks open. Possibly like a lazy susan ball bearings situation? But the spring for the right side locks to pop open... tricky.

I made a functional Hamunaptra key that pops open when you turn the bottom. I also came up with a mechanism concept for opening the locks on the book. However, it is even more complex than the one for the key, and I have not tried to actually create the working lock and book. I do not believe my mechanism I came up with would work for a foam core book. The amount of pressure necessary to do this, would be too much for foam. It would eventually distort and destroy it. But the book could be designed to be 3D printed, and use less infill, to make it lighter. Also making hinges that work and pages that open are possible. I'll be seeing if this is possible to make a functioning book to go with my key.

Last edited:
I've obtained permission from a guy on Thingiverse to use his non-functional stunt-prop like static book as a base and then, I'll make it functional.

His name is poblockim.

Last edited:
Exciting news, the hero Book of the Dead and a stunt Book of the Living are in the December Propstore auction! I've been pouring over the images and it's a hell of a feat of engineering!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back