The Big Lebowski - why is it popular?

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I finally watched The Big Lebowski, and while I like all the actors in it, I can't see why it's popular. There were a few funny moments, but overall I don't see the appeal. It had really great music, but other than that, I don't get it. Now if you want a funny bowling movie, Kingpin is your movie.

91ac565d099f0671739e5fe6470a62a94a2fa2b7&rid=giphy.gif

There’s certain movies that I don’t understand why they have such huge followings, The big Leb, The Matrix, Blade Runner... just not for me

I guess it's like most things. Some people like it, and some don't. I quite like the movie. My wife does not. Beerfest is the BEST undisputed comedy EVER, and that's science fact. But lots of people have never even heard of it, and some actually don't like it (because they're broken and dead inside).

Kind of like Seinfeld. From when it was on, to this day, I have never laughed at a single thing from that show. It's abysmal and being in the comedy category is an insult to the world. Again, science fact. But some people actually LAUGH, like, for real laugh at things in it. Again, they too are broken inside.

But those are extreme examples. You either like something, or you don't.

Because it is very funny. It is very quotable. The characters are brilliant. The cleverness of it is never dulled, in part because it doesn't say "look at me, I'm clever!" - it just does it in an unassuming way. I rank it up there with Airplane. Those are two movies that I think deserve to each have a TV channel of their own, where they are played on constant repeat.

Also, it's the Coen Brothers. Respect.

giphy.gif

There are MANY shows and movies that have big followings that I just don't get, comedy is more subjunctive than other entertainment genres.
I can't stand Spaceballs, I don't know why it's so popular other than "looks like star wars"
Sure it came along when I was mourning the end of my favorite story but...

There a few movies I also can't get into, Big Lebowski among them. I consider it more of a cult classic, than anything.

There’s certain movies that I don’t understand why they have such huge followings, The big Leb, The Matrix, Blade Runner... just not for me
The Matrix always felt like a movie for psuedo-intellectualists. It lets dumb people feel smart by regurgitating some nonsense about how "We're all cogs in a grand machine, maaaan. Nothing we think is real is actually real, maaaan. Like, we're all code in a computer, maaaan."

I like it because it's just so weird.

There a few movies I also can't get into, Big Lebowski among them. I consider it more of a cult classic, than anything.

The Matrix always felt like a movie for psuedo-intellectualists. It lets dumb people feel smart by regurgitating some nonsense about how "We're all cogs in a grand machine, maaaan. Nothing we think is real is actually real, maaaan. Like, we're all code in a computer, maaaan."

The first Matrix was AMAZING. Loved it. The second... I was so disappointed I didn't bother to see the third.

All I've seen is the trailer for Big Lebowski. And clips. And memes. And stills. And reference after reference after reference.

I've never been tempted to see it and doubt I ever will be.

Last edited:
I finally watched The Big Lebowski, and while I like all the actors in it, I can't see why it's popular. There were a few funny moments, but overall I don't see the appeal. It had really great music, but other than that, I don't get it. Now if you want a funny bowling movie, Kingpin is your movie.

Just out of curiosity, have you liked any of the Coen brother's comedic films? O Brother Where Art Thou? Raising Arizona? They're all very quirky and filled with oddball characters. You either like them or you don't. There's no in between. Most people like to go through life thinking they're The Dude, when in fact, they're really Big Lebowski.

They've made other movies that are nothing like their comedies, though. Some really great crime films. Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing, and No Country for Old Men.

Exactly lol, that’s been my experience to a T and yet Ive never heard it expressed that way.

[/QUOTE]
And also the, “if you don’t like the Matrix, it’s because you dont the understand it” people.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back