The Betty model, replica prop fix

(Oops!)
Thanks for the link. I do have some of the photos in that thread, but I could never find the source, thank much!
Its a shame the build has disappeared.

On the RPF, we've done things you people wouldn't believe: space ships from the movie called 2001 named Orion, miniatures based on the game Tanhauser gate. All these moments will be lost in time like tears in the rain -if no one reads old threads.
;)

Indeed...
The problem with the old threads is that the images are no longer visible. Makes reviewing them frustrating.

Last edited:
More progress. I extended the hull and located the rear box and dorsal box to the hull. Both are removable for painting.

IMG_3879 copy.JPG

IMG_3880.JPG

The extension for the front intake, or whatever that is, was modified. I ground off all of the surface details and replaced those with accurate detailing. I will also be hollowing out the part to make it lighter.
243766098_159454639711810_7834532863307273625_n copy.jpeg
IMG_3837.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_3878.JPG
    IMG_3878.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 55
More work done...finally.
I went back to the support walls to correct the detailing. The shape and proportions need adjusting. I drew a template as a guide to make Tham all the same.
IMG_3850.JPG
IMG_3852.JPG
IMG_3854.JPG

The next item to take are the main engine pods. These were complicated to design but worth the effort. There were a few issues with a test print of the first part, but after adjustments they printed very nicely. These are what they looked like when I received them, lots of support trees.
IMG_3885.JPG

Lots of clean up before I can test fit them, but that is how I designed all of the parts.
IMG_3886.JPG
IMG_3888.JPG
IMG_3890.JPG

You can see the 'stepped' shape of the pods. I was unable to get the pod to be a smooth shape and accurate. I have a lot to learn in 3D design. I have allowed a lot of wall thickness so I can remove those steps and have nice tapered, smoothed wall. I also fit the pivot arms as well. These will be just pinned so they can be painted separately and then assembled.
IMG_3891.JPG
IMG_3892.JPG

IMG_3894.JPG

Now that the arms are fitted, I can create the engine nozzle boxes that are in the end of each pod before the pods are permanently glued.
IMG_4093.JPG
IMG_4096.JPG

Now all of the pod parts can be assembled. There are six parts for each pod. I designed alignment pockets and holes to allow for a good fitment. Once assembled, they were cleaned and made smooth. No turning back now.
IMG_4112.JPG
IMG_4117.JPG

There is a lot of detailing that needs to be applied to the surface of the pods. There are layers of plating and other items. This is just the start.
IMG_4120.JPG
IMG_4124.JPG
IMG_4126.JPG

There is a little more info on my website. Thanks for looking!

Time for an update. Been working away, just not time to edit and post photos.
More work done on the pods, plating and filling and scribing.
IMG_4205.JPG

I also added details to the hull around the arms.
IMG_4252.JPG
IMG_4253.JPG
Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 7.43.53 PM.png

I also managed to get the main wings mounted. Photographing it was interesting. I could barely hold it far enough from the phone and get it all in. I thought it weighed about twenty pounds using one arm to hold it out, but it only weighs 8.5 at this stage. It will get heavier with more parts to be added for sure.
IMG_4267.JPG
IMG_4277.JPG
IMG_4269.JPG
IMG_4271.JPG

Started to add the piping on the upper hull.
IMG_4263.JPG

Thanks for all the kind words, and Happy New Year to All!

Last edited:
Some more progress. Started on the arm supports. A ton of components to these parts. I decided to create these myself rather than design and print them. I created a simple drawing and went from there.
I started off with the main turning because everything will be designed around it. Since there are two of everything, I stacked styrene sheets and milled the profiles and drilled holes for the turnings.

IMG_4343.JPG
IMG_4344.JPG
IMG_4349.JPG
IMG_4356.JPG
IMG_4358.JPG

Time to assemble everything;
IMG_4360.JPG

There are loads of turnings with these assemblies.
IMG_4369.JPG

IMG_4382.JPG

aaaand a little more assembly..
IMG_4372.JPG
IMG_4374.JPG

For the struts, I found some fittings in the hardware store that are almost an exact match to the filming model. I turned some adaptors to fit everything together.

IMG_4376.JPG
IMG_4378.JPG

IMG_4381.JPG
IMG_4387.JPG

Wash, rinse and repeat! Will be moving on to the bottom supports next. Thanks for looking!
IMG_4392.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4388.JPG
    IMG_4388.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 40

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back