The Best Movies of All Time - How much do you agree??

There are a few 21st century films in my top 100:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Kill Bill, volumes 1 & 2
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Mad Max: Fury Road

That's just off the top of my head, there may or may not be more.
I don't judge movies on pop-culture relevance or box-office take, though. I judge them on story and aesthetics, and technical difficulty where applicable.

I think pop culture relevance is important, imo. A film is so popular it becomes part of our everyday life. It's remembered.

Wow—I never thought this would happen, but I’m now , apparently, old enough that it finally has...

I am now, officially, a Contrarian Cinematic Snob, based upon this “Best of ALL Time” list, since I can declare that I proudly disagree with the majority of their rankings. I thought this was the kind of thing that happened only to elitist art house movie cinephiles.

This feels awesome...I look down my nose at all around me and I ask that the common riff-raff, clinging to Black Panther as the best film ever, look upon me with envious eyes.

Away I go to purchase some Grey Poupon...

Last edited:
Wow—I never thought this would happen, but I’m now , apparently, old enough that it finally has...

I am now, officially, a contrarian cinematic snob, based upon this “Best of ALL Time” list, since I can declare that I proudly disagree with the majority of their rankings. I thought this the kind of thing that happened only to elitist art house movie cinephiles.

This feels awesome...I look down my nose at all around me and I ask that the common riff-raff, clinging to Black Panther as the best film ever, look upon me with envious eyes.

Away I go to purchase some Grey Poupon...

You ignorant snob. Why can't you just accept the fact that, over half of the best films of all time, came out in the last two years?!

Millennials:rolleyes:. Thank God I was born just early enough to not be one:lol: (just kidding, millennials;))……(not really)

Just to be clear here, aren't Millennials in their 30s by now? Isn't it really the Generation Z that is so stupid right now?

Just to be clear here, aren't Millennials in their 30s by now? Isn't it really the Generation Z that is so stupid right now?

A millennial is 1998 and younger. FYI. People born right before or after the turn of the century. I'm 1992 and would never associate myself with them.

Looks like there is a huge bias for recent movies and the algorithm is frankly kind of stupid.

I’m a fan of Black Panther but no way is it deserving of top 100. Story is pretty generic superhero beats bad guy and learns from experience, just set in Wakanda and the villain is a little more complex than I want power for the evils.

Endgame storywise was pretty mediocre. For what it represents (the culmination of a cinematic universe) and its impact on the film industry, it may be deserving of top 10 but as an objective film, not really.

same for Toy Story 4 and MI: Fallout.

Honestly, the fact that not even one classic like Gone with the Wind, Titanic, Star Wars, Terminator, Robocop, Blade Runner, and Total Recall arnt even in the top 20 of that top 100 of all time is bizzare.

the above mentioned movies have launched franchises, are cult classics that stood the test of time, or were amazing film blockbusters of their day. Any of these movies beats out Black Panther easily in terms of cultural relevance or story telling imo (not financial impact but the film industry has changed so much that gross isn’t an apples to apples comparison)

What a ridiculous list! 15 of the top 20 movies of all time are from 2015 or newer? Seriously?!
No Star Wars, no Hitchcock, no Kurosawa, no Spielberg...etc
That list is trash. I don't understand people (kids) that don't know movies that are older than five years.
I grew up (in the 70's) watching films from the 20's 30's 40's 50's etc.

What a ridiculous list! 15 of the top 20 movies of all time are from 2015 or newer? Seriously?!
No Star Wars, no Hitchcock, no Kurosawa, no Spielberg...etc
That list is trash. I don't understand people (kids) that don't know movies that are older than five years.
I grew up (in the 70's) watching films from the 20's 30's 40's 50's etc.

I still watch movies from the 20's-50's. My wife and I went through the entire Universal Monsters catalog, starting with The Hunchback of Notre Dame, silent and black and white, from 1923. We also made it through all of the surviving Charlie Chan movies, starting with Behind That Curtain from 1929. It's why pretty much anything on modern social media is such a cesspool. It's made up of people who weren't around when they made good movies.

Honestly also liked older movies like Weekend at Tiffany’s (Audrey Hepburn was a treasure).

this list does seem downright ignorant by ignoring even modern classics like Gladiator.

Sorry but Black Panther is really overrated in terms of cultural impact. It’s not the first black superhero movie (Blade which is also legitimately good with 2 having interesting villains), philosophy (remember the Matrix?), or evening as a general story.

Black Panther.

Oh

Black Panther.

I dont even remember much of the movie. That is how much attention I gave it when I watched it.

OK, I have officially spent too much time on this stupid list.

The list is not based upon the Tomatometer scores, it's just made up.

Number 19: A Star is Born 2018. Critic score 90, Audience score79:

Schindler's List (not in the top 20). Critics score 97, Audience score 97:

/Mike drop.

To be fair, when I was growing up in the 1980’s and 1990’s, my list of the best movies of all time were all subjectively contemporary and would not be found on many all-time top 10 lists at the time: Goonies, The Last Starfighter, Star Trek II, The Empire Strikes Back, Willow, The Rocketeer, Star Trek: TMP, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Superman: The Movie, Gremlins, Batman, etc. None of my top movies, at the time, were older than 10 years old.

Of course, as I’ve grown older, and have enjoyed a wider variety of movies, my tastes have changed and broadened.

I think as the Rotten Tomatoes audience matures, this top 100 list will begin to shift as well.

Last edited:
Even as a kid in the '70s and '80s I dug older movies. Right up there with Luke Skywalker and Indiana Jones was Humphrey Bogart and Steve McQueen. I wanted to be them. The only reason I started smoking as soon as I was old enough? Bogie and Bacall.

Why such a disconnect? Who are these critics? Why does their opinion differ so much from the rest of us? Why do they matter more than the fan base that spends the money? How much do you agree with them? Is Black Panther REALLY the BEST film of all time?? I can think of so many films that are infinitely more impact full, meaningful, that don't even make the top 50 list.

I think a lot of the difference is when looking at things with a critical eye you are looking for direction, production issues, acting, technic, style, story etc...

On the other hand, it is possibly to enjoy a movie and rank it highly based soley on a wow factor, or something you related to despite it being badly acted or written or filmed.

There are plenty of films that have oscar worthy everything, but just do not connect. So they tend to wind up with high critic scores. On the other hand, there are "popcorn" blockbusters that might be messes from a technical or artistic sense but you leave the theater thoroughly enjoying it

i.e it's like comparing Fine Art to your kid's art.

I am sure there are many parents who are more impressed and love their kids art more than some fine art because it is personal for them

It's one of the reason I do not pay attention to any of this stuff.

I might use it as a guideline to gauge if it is in the ballpark. If I see a big disparity in scores between critics and audience it usually tells me this is a "popcorn" flick or if the other way, this is an arty flick or similar

When the two are fairly in sync with each other is usually a good sign that it has more universal appeal, but again, I may not agree

If I like a franchise and want to see a movie, I will see it regardless of the score.

Also, half the time I watch a movie and then check out a score I just shake my head and wonder if I watched the same movie as these people.

I think the better criteria most people really want to know is

"How rewatchable is this film"?

"Can I bring my kids"?

"Is this a chick flick"?

"If I bring a date (or in my case my wife), will she enjoy it, or is this a dude fest film I should see with my brother or friends"?

"Is this better enjoyed with a group of people"?

"Do I need to have seen x prequel/sequel to follow what is going on"?

If this movie isn't at least the top 5 in a list. Then that list is junk!

Ben_hur_1959_poster.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back