The Best Movies Ever - Worth Watching!!!

Not a bad list but could be better as everything on it are movies that 1. Recent 2. In my opinion in the wrong order. 3. No captain america. 4. All popular films which doesn't always equal the best. :)

Yeah. Not bad, but I can't dissagree more on the order of importance...also some of those films especially on page #2....make me want to punch puppies. Other than that...yeah, page one, not too bad.

No "Jaws".

No "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

No "Star Wars".

No "Rocky".

No "Batman" (which while I wouldn't consider "Bestest of all time EVAR", I would still rank above... oh I don't know... "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" :lol).

As the first comment at the end of the list said, no list will accomodate everyone... but man! Some of those films are certainly not in my "Best of" ballpark. :lol

Kevin

As the first comment at the end of the list said, no list will accomodate everyone... but man! Some of those films are certainly not in my "Best of" ballpark. :lolKevin
I couldn't agree more. Some very good movies on that list, but at least half of them wouldn't be anywhere near my top 100 (136? Seriously??? :confused).

The only real value of a list like this is that it gets people talking about the movies they believe should have been on the list. There have been terrific movies named in discussions such as this that I probably wouldn't have seen if someone hadn't recommended them.

thanks everyone for the comments! :)
now there in my list "136" because I'm adding movies all the time..
someone wrote that i have no "Batman" in my list- yes i have..
I have listed a lot of classic films with new films - good films do not have to be a classic.
thanks again! :)

someone wrote that i have no "Batman" in my list- yes i have..

You're showing your age (or maybe I'm showing mine).

When I said Batman I meant Batman (1989).

You don't have that movie on your list. I'm betting you haven't watched it either.

So I take that this is your "personal favourites" list? It makes a lot more sense now.

I have a personal favourites list of films as well. I could list easily 100 films but only the top three would be in order of preference:

1- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
2- The Terminator
3- Aliens

Like I said I can name 97 more (which I did name a few in my previous post), but they would all be in 4th place if you know what I mean. :)

Kevin

And for heaven's sake, something that came out before the 90's.

Some suggestions:
The Battle of Algiers
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Searchers
The Seven Samurai
Rashomon
Dr. Strangelove, Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb
Annie Hall

I mean...Speed? Really?

:thumbsdown

Sorry...you lost me when neither "Star Wars" nor "Raiders of the Lost Ark" were in the top 10. "Saving Private Ryan" was #53. :confused

And "Click" was #68? :confused

I don't think one can really appreciate a film without seeing it in the context of the time it was made.

Most people who watch Star Wars for the first time today, go, meh!

In all honesty, I'm at a point with lists that they all just seem so arbitrary. How can I say Star Wars is better than Chasing Amy or the Godfather?

How can one movie be better than another? It's art, it's personal.

Nowadays, I just rhow out all the genre movies that I love so much (Star Wars, Indy, LOTR) because there's no way I can rate those fairly. They're personal, I saw them at a different time of my life, they've aged with me, are a part of my growing experience and they're part of a larger picture that (usually) can't stand up against a single stand alone film that I saw last year.

Is Clerks the perfect movie on a technical level? No. Is it perfect for what it is? I think so. It's a $27,000 project made by someone who didn't complete film school, it's in black and white and well, it's not the best looking film. But, it still makes my top 10.

My list consists only films I have seen .. I have not seen all the movies in the world and I'm sure you're not - so do not be surprised if the movie you so praise not on my list or another ...
I take what you say and try to improve my list with your help so keep responding

Well, that helps explain alot. Perhaps you should change the title of your list to clear up any confusion.

i think that you dont understand- the title is the correct title because on the list there are great movies... and the list itself is list that i made.. you can agree with this list or not... all the movies on the list are the best movies i ever seen... if you still dont understand, read my previous response again.. thanks anyway :)

i think that you dont understand- the title is the correct title because on the list there are great movies... and the list itself is list that i made.. you can agree with this list or not... all the movies on the list are the best movies i ever seen... if you still dont understand, read my previous response again.. thanks anyway :)

No, sorry, I think I do understand. It appears to me that perhaps you don't. Your title can be misleading. It is the best movies you have ever seen...not the best movies of all time (as your title implies).

I don't think one can really appreciate a film without seeing it in the context of the time it was made.

QFT!

I didn´t want to quote your complete post as i REALLY don´t understand how you can´t love Star Wars!
Or dare to post here at the RPF when you don´t love Star Wars... :lol

Apart from the fact that that list always provokes me a lot,(seriously, Good/Bad/Ugly all the down at 12th?) with all the different taste out there , and all the different styles,why is the top movie always the Shawshank redemption? WHy does it appeal so much to so many, It'd really one of my favourites too, and it's something as rare as a really good adaptation of a Stephen King story, and it has decent actors, but there's nothing really catchy , no great action sequences, no effects, not a particularly amazing story, and really rare (especially for a Stephen King story) absolutely nothing supernatural or unrealistic happens throughout the whole film. It's something as rare as a realistic crime/mystery story that could be real,that has gone to the top. Maybe that's why people like it?
Personally quite a few of the films even in the top 25 doesn't even belong in the lower half of the top 1200 films made within the year they were made. (I will mention no names,but one war movie with an actor previously engaged to Jnny from the block really stands out....)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back