TFA Stormie Armor

mlcallanta

Having constructed the helmet, I thought I'd try and venture into making the armors......

I started off with thin card (illustration board) and fashioned it around my chest. Measured, cut and applied thin fiberglass to hopefully hold its shape. When dry and hardened a bit, I added thin card to make details and will add bondo when done.
As a base for the back plate, I plan to use a Boba Fett back plate armor and will add card to that for the stormie details.

Mardon (MLC)

IMG_2381.jpgIMG_2382.jpgIMG_2383.jpgIMG_2384.jpgIMG_2387.jpg

Slow on progress but here's some WIP pics...........

IMG_2476.jpgIMG_2484.jpgIMG_2483.jpgIMG_2482.jpgIMG_2481.jpgIMG_2480.jpgIMG_2479.jpgIMG_2477.jpgIMG_2485.jpg

All upper body armors for now. Im trying to have the front chest armor done so it could be separated from the back armor. Once separated, I could then built-up the back portion sides to meet up with the front. With consideration to the ab armor and thermal det naturally.

Does anyone know how both the front chest armor and back sides connect? Is it same with the previous tk ab armor of shim/flange with velcro?

Mardon (MLC)

Attachments

• IMG_2478.jpg
    IMG_2478.jpg
    863 KB · Views: 322
I could be enticed :)

I finally had the front chest piece molded and have pulled a fiberglass copy off it. From there, I could slowly build up the back armor and check the alignment for mating front & back armors.

View attachment 495477View attachment 495478

Mardon (MLC)

Looking good! I've been searching for fan made TFA armor. There are several opportunities for helmets and soft parts. I'm looking for armor that is A) faster to market than Anovos and B) supporting our fellow builders.

Thank you for your kind words :)

As of the moment, the shoulder bells are getting molded. Next to be molded are the bicep and forearms. Hopefully, this will give me some time to work on the backside armor.

Mardon (MLC)

Looking good! I've been searching for fan made TFA armor. There are several opportunities for helmets and soft parts. I'm looking for armor that is A) faster to market than Anovos and B) supporting our fellow builders.
Good point, I have discussed with several of my friends in private that a set of TFA armour will not to available to the average fan until what looks like well after the movie has been released (unless you are in the 501st) ,would be really neat if those of us who wanted to wear a set on release night had the chance.

Small update........

Shoulder bell mold done and pulled off 2 fiberglass bells. Card handplates and card thermal detonator done.

IMG_2512.jpgIMG_2516.jpgIMG_2517.jpg

Mardon (MLC)

Looking good, and I'm thrilled to see a fan-made set coming to fruition. I wonder how heavy a fiberglass suit would end-up being?

I am doing the First Order Snowtrooper. They use the same hand plates and forearm armor. Is there a chance you will be selling these parts also?

Toddo - Thanks! Remind me and I'll weigh it. Im actually curious too and in the 12yrs of doing props never did I get the chance of weight except for the helmets.

Dave - sure! Just let me know what you need later on once the forearms and the handplates are ready for bondo then it will be molded.

Small update.........

Knee plate done and ready for molding. Card thighs and shins have been fiberglassed over to hold its shape and bondo begins by next week. Back torso armor will get some fiberglass as well to retain shape then bondo. I was thinking of making the ankle spats, but thought I'd wait for the shins to be bondoed to get an accurate circumference.

Mardon (MLC)

IMG_2540.jpgIMG_2541.jpgIMG_2542.jpgIMG_2543.jpgIMG_2540.jpg

Wonderful work.
Are you making the molds yourself?
Really impressed by your dedication as well as your craftsmanship.
Carry on now.
Feel free to start boxing a set up for me.

Consider me your first customer if you plan to sell. Your TFA helmet is also fantastic.

I already have my TFA boots and gloves in the mail. Just need the helmet, armor, and soft parts!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back