TFA Stormie Armor

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by mlcallanta, May 28, 2015.

1. mlcallanta

mlcallanta Well-Known Member

Having constructed the helmet, I thought I'd try and venture into making the armors......

I started off with thin card (illustration board) and fashioned it around my chest. Measured, cut and applied thin fiberglass to hopefully hold its shape. When dry and hardened a bit, I added thin card to make details and will add bondo when done.
    As a base for the back plate, I plan to use a Boba Fett back plate armor and will add card to that for the stormie details.

Mardon (MLC)

IMG_2381.jpg IMG_2382.jpg IMG_2383.jpg IMG_2384.jpg IMG_2387.jpg

2. mlcallanta

Slow on progress but here's some WIP pics...........

IMG_2476.jpg IMG_2484.jpg IMG_2483.jpg IMG_2482.jpg IMG_2481.jpg IMG_2480.jpg IMG_2479.jpg IMG_2477.jpg IMG_2485.jpg

All upper body armors for now. Im trying to have the front chest armor done so it could be separated from the back armor. Once separated, I could then built-up the back portion sides to meet up with the front. With consideration to the ab armor and thermal det naturally.

Does anyone know how both the front chest armor and back sides connect? Is it same with the previous tk ab armor of shim/* with velcro?

Mardon (MLC)

Attached Files:

3. TheSteveRosario

TheSteveRosario New Member

I believe the front and the back are one piece, here's a photo with the Anovos casting
    TFA Stormie side.jpg

4. mlcallanta

Thanks for sharing Steve. However, these 2 pics I got from whitearmor.net suggests both as separate pieces.

18805_1811570095735012_8711779318945694700_n.jpg post-22799-0-04751600-1430288206_thumb.jpg

Mardon (MLC)

5. UT Trooper

UT Trooper New Member

Do you plan on selling armor kits? :)

6. mlcallanta

I could be enticed :)

I finally had the front chest piece molded and have pulled a fiberglass copy off it. From there, I could slowly build up the back armor and check the alignment for mating front & back armors.

IMG_2489.jpg IMG_2490.jpg

Mardon (MLC)

Al May likes this.
  7. Al May

Al May Well-Known Member

Looking go so far, will be watching your progress with great interest ;)

8. UT Trooper

UT Trooper New Member

Looking good! I've been searching for fan made TFA armor. There are several opportunities for helmets and soft parts. I'm looking for armor that is A) faster to market than Anovos and B) supporting our fellow builders.

9. mlcallanta

Thank you for your kind words :)

As of the moment, the shoulder bells are getting molded. Next to be molded are the bicep and forearms. Hopefully, this will give me some time to work on the backside armor.

Mardon (MLC)

10. Al May

Al May Well-Known Member

Good point, I have discussed with several of my friends in private that a set of TFA armour will not to available to the average fan until what looks like well after the movie has been released (unless you are in the 501st) ,would be really neat if those of us who wanted to wear a set on release night had the chance.

11. mlcallanta

Small update........

Shoulder bell mold done and pulled off 2 fiberglass bells. Card handplates and card thermal detonator done.

IMG_2512.jpg IMG_2516.jpg IMG_2517.jpg

Mardon (MLC)

12. Al May

Al May Well-Known Member

Love the updates on your build here, keep it up

13. mlcallanta

small WIP pics.......

Butt and Cod getting bondo work. Thighs and shin cardboard shells done.

IMG_2539.jpg IMG_2538.jpg IMG_2537.jpg

14. Toddo

Toddo Member

Looking good, and I'm thrilled to see a fan-made set coming to fruition. I wonder how heavy a fiberglass suit would end-up being?

15. DaveF45122

DaveF45122 New Member

I am doing the First Order Snowtrooper. They use the same hand plates and forearm armor. Is there a chance you will be selling these parts also?

16. mlcallanta

Toddo - Thanks! Remind me and I'll weigh it. Im actually curious too and in the 12yrs of doing props never did I get the chance of weight except for the helmets.

Dave - sure! Just let me know what you need later on once the forearms and the handplates are ready for bondo then it will be molded.

Small update.........

Knee plate done and ready for molding. Card thighs and shins have been fiberglassed over to hold its shape and bondo begins by next week. Back torso armor will get some fiberglass as well to retain shape then bondo. I was thinking of making the ankle spats, but thought I'd wait for the shins to be bondoed to get an accurate circumference.

Mardon (MLC)

IMG_2540.jpg IMG_2541.jpg IMG_2542.jpg IMG_2543.jpg IMG_2540.jpg

17. Toddo

Toddo Member

This is coming along nicely. If you do the variations for the flametrooper, I'll be even more attentive :)

18. mlcallanta

One at a time :)

Mardon (MLC)

19. usajdm

usajdm Well-Known Member

Wonderful work.
    Are you making the molds yourself?
    Really impressed by your dedication as well as your craftsmanship.
    Carry on now.
    Feel free to start boxing a set up for me.

20. UT Trooper

UT Trooper New Member

Consider me your first customer if you plan to sell. Your TFA helmet is also fantastic.

I already have my TFA boots and gloves in the mail. Just need the helmet, armor, and soft parts!

21. mlcallanta

Thanks! I do have a small fiberglass outfit, so the workers makes the molds from the prototypes I make. Naturally, they also make the products pulled from the molds.

Did you get them from Francois? He's a great guy to deal with. I also have a pair of his TFA gloves ........... and waiting for his boots once he visits again next month.

Mardon (MLC)

22. UT Trooper

UT Trooper New Member

Yep! Francois has been great as far as communication. I was part of the initial group of people on the first run of boots. I figured I would go ahead and start collecting what I can for the TFA even though I don't have the armor or helmet. I am itching for another build so I can't get my hands on armor quick enough. My scout was my first ever build and I never thought I would want another build again.

23. mlcallanta

We just finished sanding the bondo work on the yoke/back armor. We're now adding bondo to the thighs and next would be the shins. I also started on making the blaster holster(?) plate that would be added to the right thigh. I'll be in 2 parts - main bottom plate and top plate. Im still deliberating whether the main plate should be added to the thigh before molding so its part of the thigh or leave it separate. The top plate could either be screwed down or glued down but with screw heads cutoff.

IMG_2545.jpg IMG_2552.jpg IMG_2551.jpg IMG_2546.jpg

Al May likes this.
  24. mlcallanta

It got me thinking that building the holster is quite useless without a blaster, so I started with the idea of going the pvc tube route. I really had a great time when I built my first E-11 many years ago. I cant remember the name of the tutorial website that started you off with a 1.25" diameter tube and a downloadable pattern for drilling the sterling holes on the barrel, but that site was great help for me. Anyway, I thought it might be fun going that route again when doing the new blaster and hope it serves me years just like the first one.

With the new 2-tone blaster, I decided to separate (as much as possible) parts that would need to be painted differently. I could've done it with the scope, but I accidentally glued it together before I realized my mistake. Well, another masking job I guess. I will also be adding the sterling E-11 parts once I've collected their molds.

Mardon (MLC)

IMG_2553.jpg IMG_2554.jpg IMG_2555.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  25. Al May

Al May Well-Known Member

Good god man , you are a machine , wish I could get these good results in the small amount of time it's take you to get this lot together, fantastic work as always

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  26. lewistully

lewistully Active Member

I'm going to have to stop opening threads that deal with the TFA Stormtroopers. Every single time I do it makes me want a set. You are doing incredible work here! Can't wait to see the finished version.

27. mlcallanta

Thanks guys!

The thighs and the shins have been bondoed to shape and holster platform on the right thigh have been incorporated. Nothing much on the blaster except making the scope mount.

Mardon (MLC)

IMG_2558.jpg IMG_2557.jpg IMG_2556.jpg IMG_2560.jpg

UT Trooper likes this.
  28. Toddo

Toddo Member

Take my money now, why don't you? All of it, jeez Louise :)

29. UT Trooper

UT Trooper New Member

1335337506_man_throwing_money.jpg

Attached Files:

30. mlcallanta

Hahahaha - you guys! :D

I was wondering if anyone of you would know what these 2 boxes on the left shin represent? Just curious actually .......... and I kept asking what these are for when I was making 'em.. Anyway, I replicated both but just wondered.......

Mardon (MLC)

IMG_2561.jpg IMG_2562.jpg IMG_2563.jpg tfa shin 5.jpg

31. Toddo

Toddo Member

I assume those are for holding Kit-Kats for use in the field. A trooper gets hungry!

spacej0e likes this.
  32. mlcallanta

I'd go for M&M dispensers!

Once those shins get produced they will be hollow inside ......... and now it makes me wonder what the others will put or use it for :)

Mardon (MLC)

33. Al May

Al May Well-Known Member

It's to fit stabilisers to the troopers so they can finally shoot straight and actually hit a target, just kidding , I have no idea.

Dannicelook likes this.
  34. mlcallanta

We're currently molding the yoke/back armor and I've started on making the ankle spats. Will re-shape with more card then bondo for the final shape.
    Also started on making E-11 blaster parts - mag and hengstler counter. Finally found the molds for my old E-11 parts and pulled a few pieces that would be needed for the new blaster. I cut a small portion of a 1.25" pvc tube so I could mount pieces that would need to be molded anew.

Mardon (MLC)

IMG_2565.jpg IMG_2566.jpg IMG_2567.jpg

UT Trooper likes this.
  35. Toddo

Toddo Member

Such admirable skills, and great ideas. I'm just going to park here and wait for more updates :)

griffinx1 likes this.
  36. gmrhodes13

gmrhodes13 New Member

Great work, loving the build

37. mlcallanta

Thanks guys! :)

Here's a small update ............. more blaster parts. In trying to keep separate colored parts separate, here's the grip, front grip, cocking lever and the greeblie behind the trigger (limiter?). They could be glued on after paint.
    I forgot to inform my workers to pull 5pcs of wipers for the barrel, so that'll be forthcoming.

IMG_2568.jpg

38. mlcallanta

Not the most exciting WIP pics ..........but we finally got the yoke/back armor as well as the knee plate molded. Another pic showing some work on detailing the shins to get them ready for molding.

Mardon (MLC)

IMG_2569_zpseibbvddq.jpg IMG_2570_zps6zad6lp0.jpg IMG_2571_zpserkago7c.jpg IMG_2572_zpsrgpqwtlg.jpg

39. Al May

Al May Well-Known Member

Still nice to see progress however small, :)

40. mlcallanta

Thank you sir :)

While waiting for my FG workers to work on the props, I would be looking into the soft parts. I would need a new black undersuit from my tailor and will check if he can sew me some cloth ribbed gaskets. I got TFA gloves from Francois and awaiting his business trip to this part of the world by next month - hoping he has some TFA boots for me.

Mardon (MLC)

41. mlcallanta

Out of the molds above, we finally pulled fiberglass products for 2 x knee armor and for the yoke/back armor. None of them are 'cleaned' yet, so they will still take some sanding and bondo any small imperfections. I just had them washed with minor white paint. The front armor got the same wash as well from the black gelcoat color posted in the previous page of this thread.

Mardon (MLC)

IMG_2577_zpsphnrlyba.jpg IMG_2575_zpsmnjm0rfr.jpg IMG_2574_zpshy3qbvpv.jpg IMG_2573_zpstlssitgd.jpg IMG_2576_zps5ipmyzap.jpg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    virateck likes this.
  42. virateck

virateck Active Member

Gorgeous !!! :love

43. mlcallanta

Curiosity naturally got the best of me so out came my black lycra (yuck! - itchy!), neck seal, a roll of masking tape........and called my wife upstairs to bring down my phone and to tape parts together.
    Please excuse the following pics as they were hurriedly taken and all being held up by just masking tape. The last pic shows the card ab armor Im still developing ...............and about 2 seconds after that last pic was taken, front armor fell to the floor! :D

Mardon (MLC)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    Shrubpig, UT Trooper, Toddo and 2 others like this.
  44. Toddo

Toddo Member

Looking good.

45. Al May

Al May Well-Known Member

Now that's really taking shape, look forward to more updates :)

46. UT Trooper

UT Trooper New Member

Did you add the lip/lift piece that goes under the top of the shoulder? Here are some pics from other build threads:

F0384E56-2F6E-49FD-8624-AED969ECED93_zpsugm81gs3.jpg IMG_20150612_203137_zps7uge7ejm.jpg

47. mlcallanta

I was thinking if I would just add a * which would work just as well?

IMG_2612_zpsulcefok7.jpg

48. UT Trooper

UT Trooper New Member

Hard to tell from that angle, but looks like its right. Just wanted to pass that along as it seems to be easy to miss.

49. mlcallanta

For the past 2 days it seems I'm having difficulty in posting pics. Im trying a small file to check.

Here's the ab armor prototype in card.

Mardon (MLC)

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Toddo likes this.
  50. Al May

Al May Well-Known Member

looks as if you are almost complete now Mardon , just out of curiosity how many man hours do you think this project has taken?