TFA Red Pirate

I finally started working on my costume for Dragon*Con this year (I know I should have started sooner, but too late now).

RedGuy3.PNG (the red guy in the photo)

This is one of the pirates in Maz Kanata's castle. Ever since I saw this picture in the Vanity Fair shoot a few months back I fell in love with the design. Sadly I have very little reference to work from. The character has only been shown twice, in the above photo and very briefly in the 2015 SDCC Reel (https://youtu.be/CTNJ51ghzdY?t=2m8s).

I decided to tackle the relatively simple armor pieces first. I made templates for each of the individual pieces out of blue manilla folder folded in half so that I would get symmetrical pieces. Both sets of forearm/hand armor are identical, but it appears that there are 2 separate shin pieces (the one on the left is more square while the one on the right is rounder and longer). You can really only see one boot in the photo so I'm going to make both boots look like the visible one. I also used the same template for both the wrist and the ankle pieces which were very similar in shape. Overall I ended up with 6 templates to work from, which I then traced onto an EVA floor mat (next to an old Star Lord helmet I never made).
IMG_7695.JPGIMG_7696.JPG

Next I'll work on cutting and finishing these pieces. I am not sure what I want to do to create the helmet, since there are no pepakura files for this character yet. I am a terrible with clay sculpting so I'll either create it out of more custom foam pieces or perhaps try this method if I have time (taken from Volpin Props):
44599-organic-shape-example.jpg

I am also not sure what to do about the actual clothing pieces as I can't sew. I had some help from a family friend with a very basic costume but this seems like it may be too much for them to do. If anyone can point me in the direction of someone who could help me with those pieces I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
I really, really, like characters like these. This might come out great!

Maybe working with cardboard and bondo, like thevold ways? The way you describe must be a great way too!

I shall think about the pieces made out of fabric...

I love this guy. If you need more reference images, I'm pretty sure he appears in the TFA BITS trailer they released last month. :) I think his jaw actually opens down, Immortan Joe-style!

I love this guy. If you need more reference images, I'm pretty sure he appears in the TFA BITS trailer they released last month. :) I think his jaw actually opens down, Immortan Joe-style!

That's the same video I linked too, and I love the jaw, it looks so cool!

I had another idea for the helmet today. I could sculpt a much smaller version and use that to create patterns that I can scale up and use for foam. I might give it a try today if I have time.

Last edited:
This is off-topic, but this is the first time I've seen this picture where the bottom wasn't cropped. I'm sure others have noticed, but I'm fairly sure that's Simon Pegg as the seated alien on the left, and even more sure seeing that he has a "peg" leg! I'm sure that's no coincidence! Oh, what a delicious visual pun!

I don't think that's him, I think you can see that creature's actor in the video linked in the OP at 1:50 and it's pretty clearly not Pegg (although he does appear earlier in the same video, but in a different creature costume ;) )

Here these may help :)
7-13-2015 10-13-54 AM.jpg
7-13-2015 10-14-15 AM.jpg
7-13-2015 10-14-37 AM.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And for you Simon Pegg lovers. Here is the screenshot in his costume, but I still haven't pieced out who he is yet.
7-13-2015 10-13-02 AM.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the guy next to red head with pegleg (not simon pegg :) )

7-13-2015 10-07-36 AM.jpg
7-13-2015 10-08-06 AM.jpg

I hate to do this but I don't think I'll have time to finish before my deadline. I just started school so I'm a lot busier lately. I'd like to keep working and get this costume done, perhaps for the premiere of the film.

Glad to see someone else working on this too. Looks like you're off to a good start! I have a lowpoly model of the helmet in my own thread, but lacking a full view of the back, am hesitant to proceed.

Last edited:
Glad to see someone else working on this too. Looks like you're off to a good start! I have a lowpoly model of the helmet in my own thread, but lacking a full view of the back, am hesitant to proceed.

Wow, that looks great so far! Yeah I totally understand about the back, I wish we had more photos.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back