TFA Captain Ithano - red merc helmet

Re: The Force Awakens - red merc helmet

And here is the other side (from the back cover of the book). The helmet seems almost symmetrical, but not quite. The ridges are a bit different on either side.

IMG_7325.jpg

Definitely subscribing to this build. Captain Ithano is cool even if we only see him briefly in TFA. I look forward to seeing your finished costume inkblot. And if the helmet works out as good as it looks like it might, put me down for one if you do a run!

Thanks! I've been taking a break recently because the outdoor ambient temperature has been a bit low for further Bondo work, but I'll try to pick up on this again soon.

Will you be selling casts once you are done? :) I am verymuch interested

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

To be honest I haven't done casts before, so if I do, it will be a novel experience. When I get closer to a finished product, I will start looking in to this further. There are some local resources I can invest in to make this happen (if indeed my implementation of the helmet will lend well to casting at all).

More posts to follow soon hopefully!

I sculpted my helmet in clay and made a mold to cast mine in reinforced resin. You were part of my inspiration!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been a while since i got back to this project due to a number of factors including (but not limited to) weather, but I was able to jump back in on this last weekend.
https://youtu.be/gtR2PvHep3w

P5040082.jpgP5040083.jpgP5040085.jpgP5040086.jpg

May the Fourth Be With You!

Work has been ongoing on this helm & additional forearm/shin pieces since my last update; I am mostly at the priming/correction/reprime stage now and I'm getting to the point where I wish I could just put things to rest, due to a number of personal external factors. There are various parts of the helmet that I'm not super happy with but will have to clean up soon; I'd just prefer to avoid having to redo the Bondo process over and over for small corrections at this point. Last week, I bulked up the top-left contour (above the eye) to match the right side better and provide a sharper silhouette. I still find the back view looks significantly skewed to the left and I am hoping to make some slight revisions so as to make this less noticeable.

DET_3485-2.jpgDET_3486-2.jpgDET_3487-2.jpgDET_3491-2.jpg

I guess I'm nearing the stage where I should start thinking about whether it should be molded and cast. Given I have no experience with doing so, I don't know where i'd start. 2-part? Slush cast? and then there's the expense and whether or not I could do so after I painted or whether i should wait to mold prior to painting?

Other than this, work has begun on the arm guards using Worbla and I'm mapping out what I'll need for straps, etc.

Anyhow, your thoughts on directions are welcome. I'll hopefully have some more time to work on this soon.

DET_3496.jpgPA160178.jpg
Eyeholes have been sharpened up a bit and reprimed. I've also been investigating ways by which to mold and cast, including modelling a small version in sculpey and running a few tests with Rebound 25.

I have begun pricing out the materials and overall costs for molding and casting this helmet and would like to move forward with this before the end of the year. I'll continue to post about my personal costume development over here, but you can expect to see a full estimate in the Project Runs section soon.

In the mean time, I thought I'd also discuss where i'm at with Ithano's rifle, which apparently also is the base for one of the Kanjiklub rifles:

I decided to just use what materials I have on hand, so that means PVC piping, craft foam, Worbla, Bondo, Kobracast, aluminium foil, etc. I managed to find a grip from an old plywood saw and have fitted it over the pipe with some Worbla. The grip has also been split open and modified to fix the overall angle - it will still need some modification to pull out the butt of the grip, but I'm glad I don't have to fabricate much along that end. Ideally, the spot directly above the grip will get filled in and the split between foam and handle will be less noticable.

I've also begun modelling out the bone piece - I reused some old scrap Kobracast and aluminium foil to rough out and bulk up the shape and spent some time smoothing it out to make it more cohesive. It still needs a few more passes, but I'm glad that making use of acetone as part of my Bondo mix has made sanding and smoothing a lot faster!

IMG_3018.JPGIMG_3033.JPGIMG_3037.JPGIMG_3043.JPGIMG_3049.JPGIMG_3038.JPGIMG_3048.JPG
Eventually, I will probably cover over the craft foam (which is mainly just there for bulk) with black Worbla and do a bit more finishing with Bondo to fix inevitable seams.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back