Terminator: Genisys (Post-release)

Q. - So then why can't I just decide to receive my own time machine from my older self, right now?

A. - "Because you probably can't really invent a time machine no matter how hard you try for the rest of your life."

But according to this thread's logic that doesn't matter! I can just decide that I will invent it, because I will receive the necessary info about building it from my older self, because he got it in his youth back when he was me. There is no original source of the time machine info this way.

This is a problem just like a grandfather paradox. I cannot use the time machine to speed up the invention of the time machine unless I could invent it unassisted first. If this is true then it indicates the necessity of a T#0 timeline where JC has a different father and no time travel occurred.

:confused :confused :confused

Okay, now I'm no longer sure what James Cameron ever intended when he did T1. But I myself think logic demands a T#0 timeline.

Hmm . . . maybe we are playing out the thought process again right now.

Maybe Cameron started out the writing process with a T#0 timeline in mind, wrote T1, and ultimately put in the wrecked T-800's influence on Cyberdyne as a matter of filling in the plot logic. If he was going to do his "The Fly" homage ending then there would be some wreckage of the T-800 left in 1984. The 1984 people finding it would help explain how the tech advanced so fast in the next few decades. Why not?

Several years go by . . . Cameron does the Abyss . . . he goes back to writing another Terminator . . . and the preset-fate angle of T1 has really been gnawing at him. Yeah it provides some logic but it's out of sorts with the theme of the whole thing, which is that you can make your own fate in life . . . so he starts writing a new Terminator movie where the future can be changed . . .

Q. - So then why can't I just decide to receive my own time machine from my older self, right now?

A. - "Because you probably can't really invent a time machine no matter how hard you try for the rest of your life."

But according to this thread's logic that doesn't matter! I can just decide that I will invent it, because I will receive the necessary info about building it from my older self, because he got it in his youth back when he was me. There is no original source of the time machine info this way.

This is a problem just like a grandfather paradox. I cannot use the time machine to speed up the invention of the time machine unless I could invent it unassisted first. If this is true then it indicates the necessity of a T#0 timeline where JC has a different father and no time travel occurred.

:confused :confused :confused

Okay, now I'm no longer sure what James Cameron ever intended when he did T1. But I myself think logic demands a T#0 timeline.

Hmm . . . maybe we are playing out the thought process again right now.

Maybe Cameron started out the writing process with a T#0 timeline in mind, wrote T1, and ultimately put in the wrecked T-800's influence on Cyberdyne as a matter of filling in the plot logic. If he was going to do his "The Fly" homage ending then there would be some wreckage of the T-800 left in 1984. The 1984 people finding it would help explain how the tech advanced so fast in the next few decades. Why not?

Several years go by . . . Cameron does the Abyss . . . he goes back to writing another Terminator . . . and the preset-fate angle of T1 has really been gnawing at him. Yeah it provides some logic but it's out of sorts with the theme of the whole thing, which is that you can make your own fate in life . . . so he starts writing a new Terminator movie where the future can be changed . . .

Wanna save yourself a lot of head ache? Don't try to wrap your head around time travel paradoxes :p there is no real logic to them.
Kyle was always Connor's dad. Next time you watch T1 ask yourself one question, does Kyle know his off spring will be the savior of humanity? Ignore everything that came after and just focus on what is seen in the film ;)

So I bought the 3D version of the Blu-ray and I have watched it a few times now. It actually gets better each time, but will never equal the work of James Cameron from the first two films. The scene recreation is good in some parts and then just wrong in others. The punks still bother me. I get that it is an alternate 1984, so why put the dog in alley way?

Over all it is well done, or at least better than the last two films.

The video image is stunning and the Dolby ATMOS soundtrack is nothing short of breath taking even if you don't have the decoders yet. Being a home cinema buff, this disc earns a "reference" status from me right up there with MAD MAX FURY ROAD.

The extras on the 3rd disc are good. My favorite chapter being "old, not obsolete" which didn't show enough on the art or (molding and casting) actually making props. Worth a watch though.

Rented this the other night. I actually enjoyed the first half a lot more than I thought I would, and I didn't hate Jai Courtney as much as I'd anticipated.
But the second half really missed the mark, imo.

Watched it last night and still trying to get the taste of crap out of my mouth. A staggeringly awful wreck of a film. One of the worst I've ever seen. Terrible script, atrocious acting (it looked great though). Just plain dumb. So disappointing.

Watched it last night and still trying to get the taste of crap out of my mouth. A staggeringly awful wreck of a film. One of the worst I've ever seen. Terrible script, atrocious acting (it looked great though). Just plain dumb. So disappointing.

OK now go watch SALVATION again and I am sure your will change your mind about this one.

It can never be true Terminator because Cameron didn't write and direct. But as far a 3rd party goes, T5 is the best of the last 3. I just wish that had given that punk blue hair and tread mark make up.

It can never be true Terminator because Cameron didn't write and direct. But as far a 3rd party goes, T5 is the best of the last 3. I just wish that had given that punk blue hair and tread mark make up.

As far as missing detail goes, I'd say the lack of blue hair is a very minor goof compared to totally forgetting to give Reese PTSD. Did Jai even watch Michael's T1 performance, or did he just decide to get into costume and say lines? Terrible.

Glad this crap is being buried.

I am a huge Terminator fan, and I finally got around to mustering up the courage to watch this, and I am sorry that I did. I didn't think there could be a Terminator movie worse than T3, boy was I wrong.

As far as missing detail goes, I'd say the lack of blue hair is a very minor goof compared to totally forgetting to give Reese PTSD. Did Jai even watch Michael's T1 performance, or did he just decide to get into costume and say lines? Terrible.

Glad this crap is being buried.
I remember reading a brief interview from him about how he boasted 'purposely avoiding watching Terminator because he didn't want the other performance to influence him'
And he was saying that as if it was a good thing!!
I mean, from an actors standpoint, I can understand where he's coming from (no one wants to see someone COPY another actors performance) but I think TG is definitely an example of when watching the old movie is essential

Actually.... @9:06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMSpmIYjXAg

I know it's a deleted scene and if it's not in the movie it doesn't count, but it does show that Cameron DID make Skynet based on the T1 wreckage from the beginning.

Actually, Sarah and Miles Dyson both confirmed that the technology was based off the crushed T-800 processor. So, even with the deleted scene not "counting", both Sarah and Miles Dyson's confirmation were in the second film, thus making it canon.

They might...

Imagine going back from today and show Person X how Device Z looks, works and so on. Person X goes on to invent said device, a little earlier than he did in the previous timeline. In both timelines he invented the same device, only at two different Points in time. Did we change the future? Yes, and no... :p

Red Dwarf did that as an episode.

Cool, I still haven't seen a single episode or anything Red Dwarf related :$

You should totally watch Red Dwarf. Pretty funny show. :) If you don't, Mr. Flibble will be cross!

tumblr_m926o4eZpe1resn8to1_500.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back