TDKR dialogue question

What bugge me about tdkr was banes voice and at the end when the one lady calls the police dude robin,what would be the point in having your superhero name robin if your first name is robin that's not really protecting your identity is it.

Last edited:
What bugge me about tdkr was banes voice and at the end when the one lady calls the police dude robin,what would be the point in having your superhero name robin if your first name is robin that's not really protecting your identity is it ,you might as well just run around in your tights screaming your name

He wasn't running around as a superhero and it was stated earlier in the thread that if there is a sequel (which there shouldn't be) he'd probably show up as Nightwing not Robin or Batman since he was "Robin" in this film.

Bane's voice was my only gripe with this movie, I preferred the original voice..

What bugge me about tdkr was banes voice and at the end when the one lady calls the police dude robin,what would be the point in having your superhero name robin if your first name is robin that's not really protecting your identity is it.

This was their way of getting "Robin" (a sidekick/successor to Bruce, with a shared tragic childhood) into a Batman film without having "Robin" (adolescent deliberately and repeatedly placed in extreme peril while wearing a garish circus acrobat uniform) in a Batman film. Some might call it a "nod".

I highly doubt that Blake would call himself "Robin" in whatever guise he chooses goin forward.

Here's a question I had: when Blake stops Selena in the airport, he says he was there looking for Bruce. Why? Why would he expect Bruce to be at the airport on that day at that time?

Further, why would Blake think that Selena would have any reason to know the whereabouts of either Bruce Wayne or Batman, much less know that they are one and the same? IIRC, Blake had no knowledge of Bruce's dealings with Selena, or Batman's interactions with "Catwoman".

Because Blake dropped Bruce off at Selena's place? And I'm pretty sure there's an "off-screen" conversation between Bruce and Blake about what's going on.

Because Blake dropped Bruce off at Selena's place? And I'm pretty sure there's an "off-screen" conversation between Bruce and Blake about what's going on.

Yeah, that would make sense, but that's kind of a leap. Bruce didn't know Blake that much yet, and he gave him the whole skinny on everything?

And, again, Blake was just hanging out at the airport expecting Bruce to show up why?

Further, how would Blake know that Selena knew Bruce was Batman. She didn't find out until Bruce was beaten and captured, so it's not like Bruce could have told Blake she knows.

My one big gripe about this movie is that the screenplay isn't as "tight" as it could be. Matthew Modine's and Juno Temple's characters were completely superfluous, as was the whole kidnapped Congressman subplot. I'm sure there was a much tighter way, plot-wise, to get Jim Gordon into the sewers.

Blake wasn't hanging at the airport, he was waiting in front of Selina's place I think, and followed her to the airport, because she was a person of interest in the consul man kidnapping. And he took the opportunity to ask her about Bruce, since he knew that there was a connection between them at least, if not more.

Last edited:
Yeah, that would make sense, but that's kind of a leap. Bruce didn't know Blake that much yet, and he gave him the whole skinny on everything?

Teragon explained the other stuff, but as for this - I think the fact that Blake knows Bruce is Batman and didn't try to shake him down or anything, save for encouraging him to get back in action, shows a pretty high level of trustworthiness.

Blake wasn't hanging at the airport, he was waiting in front of Selina's place I think, and followed her to the airport, because she was a person of interest in the consul man kidnapping. And he took the opportunity to ask her about Bruce, since he knew that there was a connection between them at least, if not more.

No, he popped up at the airport and said something to the effect of "I was looking for a friend of mine, Bruce Wayne. Have you seen him?" I don't recall anything about Blake following her from her apartment.

Even if Bruce had told him everything about Selena prior to his first showdown with Bane, there was no way for Blake to know that Selena heard Bane refer to Batman as "Mr. Wayne".

If Blake was simply playing off a hunch, they could have made that clearer.

I didn't think Modine's character was superfluous. He represents Gotham City.

At the party he serves to communicate how soft and complacent Gotham has become to the audience. He's there to show that the GCPD is putting on a new, slick face and phasing out the old vets. He helps define Gordon as a shabby relic from a meaner time in the city's history.

During the chase after the stock exchange job, he's there to explain to the audience why the cops are letting Bane and his men get away to chase Batman. It's useful at that point to put a face on the behavior so the audience doesn't attribute that misguidance to all of the policemen. Remember, we're going to cast most of them as righteous footsoldiers later on.

Once Gotham is under Bane's thumb, they use him to tell the audience why people are keeping their heads down, and again serves as a counterpoint to Gordon. They use him to play Gordon up as he risks his life showing his face above ground to urge more people to resist. Then, once the troops are mustered, he gets to be redeemed.

Catwoman's spotter wasn't as useful to the story, but I think she was there to show Kyle's connection to poverty and where she came from. She also sets Hathaway up to act capricious and bitchy, which is one of the few things they do to tell the audience, "this here's Catwoman."

I didn't think Modine's character was superfluous. He represents Gotham City.

At the party he serves to communicate how soft and complacent Gotham has become to the audience. He's there to show that the GCPD is putting on a new, slick face and phasing out the old vets. He helps define Gordon as a shabby relic from a meaner time in the city's history.

During the chase after the stock exchange job, he's there to explain to the audience why the cops are letting Bane and his men get away to chase Batman. It's useful at that point to put a face on the behavior so the audience doesn't attribute that misguidance to all of the policemen. Remember, we're going to cast most of them as righteous footsoldiers later on.

Once Gotham is under Bane's thumb, they use him to tell the audience why people are keeping their heads down, and again serves as a counterpoint to Gordon. They use him to play Gordon up as he risks his life showing his face above ground to urge more people to resist. Then, once the troops are mustered, he gets to be redeemed.

I see your point(s). I just don't think Modine was needed to convey those points. They were already made elsewhere, with more relevant characters.

Mayor Garcia's speech at the very beginning, as well the fact that Bruce's retirement has been so long-lived, make it clear that Gotham has enjoyed a long, perhaps undeserved, respite from crime that has caused the city to become "soft" and complacent. Alfred mentions that Bruce is wasting away in Wayne Manor, hoping that things get bad enough for Batman to be needed again. Bane comes right out and says it: "Age has robbed you of your strength. Victory has defeated you."

And Selena was plenty "catty" with Bruce and Daggett. Throw in the skin-tight leather cat-suit and the goggles that look like cat ears, did we really need Jen to beat that dead horse into the ground?

And speaking of Jen, why didn't they just call her "Holly"? :confused

Bane does not say "age" - he says, "Peace has cost you your strength; victory has defeated you."

No, he popped up at the airport and said something to the effect of "I was looking for a friend of mine, Bruce Wayne. Have you seen him?" I don't recall anything about Blake following her from her apartment.

You may not recall it but it's there. Blake is sitting in his car watching people on the street and he sees Selina. Afterwards she is detained at the airport.

Yeah trust me Squirk, I've seen this movie three times, it's there ! I think there is so much information going on screen that a lot of people missed the details and are now finding plot holes where there are absolutely no plot holes. Not saying there aren't any plot holes, just that most of what people are complaining about isn't plot holes. Just misunderstanding.

Yeah, Blake is sitting in his car and just happens to see Selina getting into a taxi and gets on his radio and says "I've got a line on the congressman's kidnapper" (or something to that effect). Then we see her at the airport. He recognized her from the bar where the shootout happened.

Yeah, Blake is sitting in his car and just happens to see Selina getting into a taxi and gets on his radio and says "I've got a line on the congressman's kidnapper" (or something to that effect). Then we see her at the airport. He recognized her from the bar where the shootout happened.

How am I blanking out on this.....? Now that you typed it out, it sounds familiar.

Bane does not say "age" - he says, "Peace has cost you your strength; victory has defeated you."

Quite so. Not sure why I typed "Age".

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back