Tau Pulse Carbine

Brien

So I decided to try to build a Pulse Carbine from the Warhammer 40k Tau army. I scaled it up from one of the miniatures and built a template. I decided to use wood for my first go and to make a ultra-cal positive from it later.

The problem I am having is the grooves that are carved into the weapon. I busted out my Dremel plunge router attachment but I had some troubles with it, the attachment is just not very well made.

Anyone have any suggestions to cut these grooves in the wood without a huge amount of trouble? In the picture below, the grooves are highlighted green. The ones near the edge of the weapon continue over the top to the other side.

Thanks in advance.

Carbinecopy.jpg

My suggestion: Print that out onto plastic, or onto paper which you glue onto plastic with something that will come off easily. Then cut out the pieces (scissors could work) and glue them onto the wood.
It is always easier to finish sharp edges than to engrave straight grooves.

or you could get one of those wood crafting blades that cut shapes into wood. Has any one done a lifesize space marine rifle? I've been wanting to make one for a while now but never get the chance.

I would go with Lars in using sheet plastic to build up the area. Use a thinner piece of wood stock and build up with the plastic sheet. It'd be the easiest and get the best results. Plus plastic has a lot smoother finish than wood.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back