Target BB8 disposal

I was just informed by the store manager that the company sent out a memo this morning saying the display can be raffaled off to the employees.

I'm the first on the list for the Feb 1 raffal.

One of the managers told me this afternoon that there is a rumor going around the store that I offered the store manager $500 for the display so lot's of people are signing up just hoping to get some free money if they win.
I could probably build 2 or 3 studio scale for that much.

I offered $400 but the offer was only to the store not a bunch of freeloaders.:darnkids

I spoke with a Target employee tonight who said he'd answered this question many times. What he told me was that BB-8 would be on display until such time as Target has another toy/franchise that is going to takes it's place. His best guess was at least another month before BB-8 would be removed and at that time, it's either sent back to the vendor or it's at the digression of the store to give it away or throw it away.

He said that he's spoken with many customers over the years who have asked if they could take display pieces for a variety of reasons and typically management has allowed it.

All of this to me sounds like no one at Target really knows what the next step is for BB-8 once they change the display to another toy.

While thousands for a crappy advertisement isn't what people here desire, the high assumed value is based on rarity not quality. Since it's a store display, it's more desirable to certain types of collectors than a quality one-off replica. If only a few hit the market, I bet they easily go for over a grand.

I'm for sure going to do some talking next time I'm in Target (was still up as of yesterday). Can't hurt to ask. My 4 year old would love to have it...or if they DO go for $$$$, I'd sell and get him some real cool SW stuff.

B1 is correct, they will sell because of their rarity. First one i seen sold at $5000 and two more sold for a quick sell over $1500. These will only go up in price over the years because of the rarity, so hold on to it if you get one!

So I work at Target, our target will be raffling him away to a Team Member. I have an open agreement for $500 to who ever wins it and lets me have it, if I don't win....

Just popped into my local target and BB-8 is gone! I didn't have the heart to ask where he ended up, since I'm sure it would disappoint me. LOL

My local Target tossed it in the dumpster

Reel

"I only pay for everything, design everything and make everyone look cool"

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back