Taboo Indiana Jones OR other film props.

;)Soooo...the private plane used by Chancellor Angela Merkel has "Luftwaffe" on each side... As kurtyboy said: don't be afraid of symbols; besides, they're part of history and it's not because we remove them that history will change!

I tend to stay away from any Nazi iconography in my collection. So props with that are a no go as well as ANYTHING from KotCS

;)Soooo...the private plane used by Chancellor Angela Merkel has "Luftwaffe" on each side... As kurtyboy said: don't be afraid of symbols; besides, they're part of history and it's not because we remove them that history will change!

Luftwaffe is just German for Air Force (literal translation is “air weapon”).

...as well as ANYTHING from KotCS

KotCS wasn't that bad, IMO. It just wasn't all that good. The ending with the spaceship was the worst part, not because of the idea of aliens, but dead aliens are still dead even with their skulls back in place (and the notion of a clear crystal skull being an actual skull was equally absurd). They could have gone with the more well known hypothesis that a crystal skull could potentially be a storage database from Atlantis or a pre-Atlantean culture. That's at least as plausible as a vengeful Ark or magic stone that is angry about betraying Shiva or a chalice that destroys caves when it moves beyond seals (far from the notion of healing or giving eternal life). Now that I really think about it, they're all rather ridiculous in that regard. :D

(I won't even mention the fridge and nuclear explosion cheese or Shia swinging like the video game Jungle Hunt and magically landing in a car with such precision video game timing, but then... in Temple of Doom drinking blood and becoming a zombie until hit with fire sounds like a daydream of Jeffrey Dahmer or something, let alone the Voodoo doll, which was both absurd and out of place and that dude would have cooked long before he hit the lava and died without his heart missing long before that, not to mention his rib cage should have been in the way of just grabbing his heart.... and that RAFT! The inflatable raft landing in the river with them not being injured...my god the more I think about the absurdities of the Indiana Jones movies, the worse I feel about collecting things from them. Arrgghh! :D).

Now if the real point was Shia LaBeouf sucks, well, I guess I'd have to agree. ;) (but his switchblade knife was still pretty cool so I bought one anyway).

KotCS wasn't that bad, IMO. It just wasn't all that good.

Crystal Skull didn't jive with the Indy franchise clear to its foundation. The driving through-line of 1 2 & 3 was grounded in mysticism and spirituality. CS was a science fiction flick. They tried to drive that whole search for power and then bad guy gets destroyed by that very same power motif through them all but in CS it didn't work because by the time you get to the end the rest of the movie has made you so angry that you're just done with it. CS wasn't just a bad Indy flick, it was bad in general.

That’s a very interesting subject. I have a few items in my collection bearing swastikas and my Grail diary does feature Hitler’s signature and it makes me feel uncomfortable sometimes to trivialize that symbol and the weight and suffering it still carries with it. That being said, that’s pretty much what the Indiana Jones movies did with nazis turning them into pulp super vilains.

I try to not be overly serious about these things though, separating fiction from history in this case, at the same time not ignoring that some people might be rightfully more upset by this imagery than I am or might take it at face value/out of context. A few years back, I had a real silver 5DM nazi coin in my X-Men collection and remember a former colleague being weirdly fascinated by it as actual nazi memorabilia during a party at my house, which made me and everyone else quite uncomfortable at the time. Needless to say it’s been in storage ever since.

Meanwhile I avoid big items. It must be placed in the shelf. And there is no much free space anymore.

So swords, shields and arks are taboo.

...and no swastikas in my house - don't won't to puke every time I see them.

Crystal Skull didn't jive with the Indy franchise clear to its foundation. The driving through-line of 1 2 & 3 was grounded in mysticism and spirituality. CS was a science fiction flick. They tried to drive that whole search for power and then bad guy gets destroyed by that very same power motif through them all but in CS it didn't work because by the time you get to the end the rest of the movie has made you so angry that you're just done with it. CS wasn't just a bad Indy flick, it was bad in general.

So supernatural = totally believable, but Science Fiction = crazy. Everything in the middle = angry. Got it. ;)

I used to collect a large number of the relics, and also the props. With time, I actually got tired of things like the Raiders sandbag and the brush from the map room. I was chasing an ark at one point, but the size became a limiting factor. I've turned my prop collecting more towards the "iconic" pieces from movies, or things that could display well. I have Indy's pocket knife and it just sits there on a shelf. I guess I'll start purging some of those items.

I don't think anything from the Indy movies is "taboo" for me. I don't like Crystal Skull so I don't really want anything from that in my collection. I'm not big on Temple of Doom either so I don't have much from that either. Space is a limiting factor and normally I agree with the people on here that don't want mundane items like shot glasses or bottles, but when my wife and I move I'm planning on making my office into "Indy's office," so I do have some of that type of stuff for my Indy collection that I wouldn't buy for any of the other franchises I collect.

OMG! It's taboo!!! :eek:

Landron Stand German Medallion RM.jpg

I suppose I could flip it around, but then it just looks like a silver-color red crystal version of the Ravenwood medallion (I almost want to in order to show both sides at the same time, but there's no room left).

This thread gave me the idea that I really need to get one of these next for my Ark display (I think the ark would look good sitting on top, elevating it above the items on either side of it). I've contacted a maker of the 1/6 scale version. Hopefully, he still has one left or will eventually do another run.

Ark crate.jpg

Did anyone notice the crate has the bird looking in the WRONG direction for a Nazi symbol? The traditional bird looks over its right shoulder. The Nazi version looks over its left shoulder. So the one in the movie has the crate showing the bird looking the wrong way, but with a swastika in its talons. I wonder if they did that on purpose or it's a movie mistake?

During Nazi rule, the German Imperial Eagle (Reichsadler) was combined with the Nazi swastika and was made Germany's national emblem. This eagle looked to its right shoulder. The Nazi Party used a very similar symbol for itself, called the Parteiadler ("Party's eagle") that looked to its left shoulder.

Seeing as how it was a military operation to recover the Ark - and not specifically a Nazi Party operation - the eagle on the crate is correct.

During Nazi rule, the German Imperial Eagle (Reichsadler) was combined with the Nazi swastika and was made Germany's national emblem. This eagle looked to its right shoulder. The Nazi Party used a very similar symbol for itself, called the Parteiadler ("Party's eagle") that looked to its left shoulder.

Seeing as how it was a military operation to recover the Ark - and not specifically a Nazi Party operation - the eagle on the crate is correct.

Wow..I´ve never seen the difference where the eagle looks to.Thanks for the information.

Wow..I´ve never seen the difference where the eagle looks to.Thanks for the information.
What I'm not clear on is how hard and fast the rules of usage were - as you can see here, the uniform patch has the eagle looking to its left, but the helmet decal has the eagle looking to its right.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-089-3779-11A,_Russland,_Hauptmann_mit_Ritterkreuz.jpg

BUT, International Military Antiques has a reproduction paint stencil and this is their description:

'IMA has developed an accurate stencil of the Infamous Nazi Eagle over Swastika known as "The Reichsadler". This symbol during the time of Nazi rule represented Nazi Germany as a national insignia. It was painted extensively on Ammunition boxes, Wooden Crates, Transport Containers, and anything the Germans wanted identified as official property of the Third Reich.'

So, based on that I would maintain that the eagle on the Ark crate is in fact correct.

Even Spielberg was amazed at how the production design team went into so much detail for Raiders. The Nazi soldier costumes are another story.

I think the left and right facing heads depends on usage. The eagle on german helmets were on the right side with the eagles head facing left maybe because the eagle always has his head facing forward toward the direction of travel. Right facing eagles on a helmet is when its on the front of the helmet. The national emblem was right facing so uniforms themselves were always right facing eagles even when on the left shoulder. I could be mistaken but maybe they considered the body to be of the nation and head was of the party. Who knows, **** the Nazis anyway.

Kinda reminds me of our flag, the flag pole is always on the stars side so the stars always are on the forward side because you carry a flag by the pole and no matter which side you are on the stars always lead. This is why on airplanes the flag looks backwards on the right side of the plane. Its not backwards its flag pole first. Oh and id i mention **** the Nazi's? lol

external-content.duckduckgo.com.gif

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back