Sword of Fili build, the Hobbit.

Craious

Thought I'd share this build with all you superb craftsman out there as a small contribution in return for all the amazing information you lot post for us all.

My daughter wanted a Fili sword for cosplay purposes and I had a look at the one available to purchase. Apart from the fact that they're quite expensive I was not happy with many of the proportions. They seemed too skinny for a Dwarven weapon, made for human hands sort of thing so I started doing some sketches and estimating measurements from film and online pics.

My aim here was to build a master mould to produce the two swords Fili has.

Once happy with the sketches I made a tech drawing to work from. Tried various ways of sculpting using firstly medium NSP clay but found it hard to smooth properly despite using lighter fuel like recommened and then kept damaging it doing the next bit!

Then tried blue closed cell foam and bondo which worked well but I found cutting it at the correct angles quite a challenge as there are many angle in the handle.

In the end I saw an idea used by Volpin props using card stock to create the correct shape and filling the void with bondo which I found sooooo much more achievable. Cheers Mr Volpin Sir and quite envious of your amazing workshop!

IMG_3045.jpg

The plan and some of the card stock cut out.

IMG_3152.JPGIMG_3150.JPGIMG_3156.jpg
Some pics of the prototype ready for casting. I love the feel of this so far as it's, for me, the right size unlike the mass produced which seem to be a lot smaller than this. This feels Dwarven!

Cheers BlindSquirrel, I thought I was posting for myself as I'd had encouragement from anyone! :-(

Love the level of detail, especially on the pommel and the precision of these ornament pieces. And your hands look unharmed, I would have cut myself several times working with such tiny bits

Good work!! The sword looks exactly same as that of the real one I must say. I am also a fan of cosplay weapons something like which are made up of Larp or Latex material. Not recently but some times ago a purchased one of the same kind of sword from the online website and it looked fine (not up to the price). Since that time I prefer to the handmade crafts like you had made. These are quite easy to built with low price. No need of spending too much of money on such pieces and its really worth it!!

Thanks for all the comments guy n gals, please forgive the delay. I'll get back on posting the results asap - been sooooo busy!

- - - Updated - - -

Love the level of detail, especially on the pommel and the precision of these ornament pieces. And your hands look unharmed, I would have cut myself several times working with such tiny bits

Yeh, sometimes I feel I bit off more than I could actually do but its going well thus far, cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Fabrik.

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers One Bean

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers dipti. Well worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks BlindSquirrel, great praise indeed from someone of your calibre. Appreciated.

How did you go about putting your blueprints together? I'm trying to do it digitally and I'm having a hell of a time finding reference images that are at a high enough resolution for what I'm trying to accomplish.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back