"Supernatural" Back Door PIlot "Bloodlines"

Kerr Avon

Master Member
So what'd anyone think who watched it?

I thought at best, it was a slightly 'meh' Supernatural episode, but as a back door pilot for a spin off it was terribly cliched. The only saving grace was that they have a rich set of lore in the world to use, but then chose to do the obvious with families of monsters dividing a city. Of course, we've never seen any of these monsters demonstrate that level of interest in political machinations. The closest would be the Leviathans, and they only showed up a few years ago so wouldn't have an established foothold. We're not even sure if any of them are alive after Dick was cut off a while back. Vampires, we've seen a little with the Alpha and that'd be one thing, but I just don't buy these families at all. Having the guy's father be alive at the end was just finalizing the cliche check list at the end.

As an aside, it appears the Impala wasn't the shows' normal car and instead a fan built car loaned out for the episode. That was a beautiful replica though.

Yes I agree...but Ill give the show a few watches to see what its like...especially when any Supernatural stars guest star...and the car no one would have known it wasnt the original had it not been discussed beforehand.....They did an amazing job replicating as well as all the trunk goodies.

The impala was in fact my car, and thank you! Nobody has even picked up on the fact that the impala was not the studio car! The entire production crew were in awe upon her arrival because she was a 100% replica, some comments were even made about her being in better condition from a paint and upkeep standpoint! Granted she sits in my garage and isn't subject to grueling hours of filming like baby is!! But I will definitely take the compliment!!

The impala was in fact my car, and thank you! Nobody has even picked up on the fact that the impala was not the studio car! The entire production crew were in awe upon her arrival because she was a 100% replica, some comments were even made about her being in better condition from a paint and upkeep standpoint! Granted she sits in my garage and isn't subject to grueling hours of filming like baby is!! But I will definitely take the compliment!!

yup..alot of time , money hard work and being in the rihgt place in the right time went into all that..glad to see a fan get a huge honor such as that...and what can I say Rick is the man...lol We've pounded the payvemnt and spent literally hundreds of hours looking for props and stuff...researching info...making contacts and developing a network that has totally paid off...;)
Good looking car.

was not impressed with it. The monsters feel very un supernatal meaning not acting as they have in the past in the show

I hate that they F'ed up the shape shifters... So now they just what, poof change into anyone? What happened to the whole skin pealing off, teeth falling out and down right gooey change? It felt very cheap and had a really bad plot.

Sent from somewhere in time & space...

Plus, just what do Ghouls bring to the table? Eating a person to know what they know and become them? I could see SOME instances that'd be handy, but most times, really not something that's going to be helpful. The Djinn seem like this whole politics thing would be beneath them.

Dean said it: The Godfather with fangs. Nah.

Stefany, great job on the car! How did that come about, and why? My guess is this was shot by a B unit while the main was working on another episode. But still, don't they have more than one car? Not that I'm complaining, yours is a beaut.

I cant speak for all the details but in a nutshell Rick PROJECTTHX1138 has done several Supernatural car builds and is SUPER PICKY and a eye to detail and over the years has gotten a few contacts and they knew how good Stefany's car looked and they wanted to actually shoot in Chicago and the costs of hauling that car from Canada to Chicago, legal issues and all that from one country into another..;; that money and all that way for 3 or 4 days shoot would be pretty high...so with that being said...after seeing her car and seeing what all they have replicated...including props...they wanted to use her car and now its actually screen used and you could say IS one of the cars used in shooting. They have several cars but aside from the HERO with the 502 in it..I hear most arent that great looking or running in person...her car is actually in better condition but with all the little looks and special things the show car offers. I think that says ALOT on how good her car is when they wanted to and chose to ask to use it in ACTUAL SHOOTING....and not just a qucik drive by...but actual use by Jensen and Jared....but Im sure Stefany and Rick can supply more detailed infomation.

That makes a lot of sense, especially given the far-from-Vancouver location. I don't know Chicago, so I had just assumed it was Canada filling in as usual. :lol

Ive been to Chicago but youd think beens they were GOING TO GO THERE...theyd shoot SOMETHING with the Navy Pier or something with Sears tower or The Field museum...something a little more well known site that more people would see and think THEY REALLY ARE IN CHICAGO..lol But what the heck do I know....SQUAT...lol

Looks like the CW didn't order Bloodlines for the 2014-2015 TV season yet. Personally, I hope they don't. That whole episode felt very "unSupernatural". The plot seems more like a (though I've never seen it, so I could be off-base) True Blood-esque show with the Supernatural name slapped on to entice the fandom. I don't understand how the public at large doesn't know about monsters, yet apparently in Chicago there's a high enough concentration of them that they can control the local law enforcement, own businesses, fight over territories, etc. If they do plan to make a show like this I hope they at least drop the Supernatural prefix. Just one man's opinion.

Edit: seems it's officially cancelled.

Last edited:
Instead of ding something like that...REALY wishd they had done SUPERNATURAL: THE MEN OF LETTERS...maybe go back and show what all they do in the Supernatural timline....HOWEVER I would much rather have one called SUPERNATURAL: BEGINNINGS...and show a younger John Winchester on the road with his boys...you could see the stories theyve mentioned but never seen......bring back the amulet Dean wears...the Impala would be stock exvept gor the radio...MAYBE on the series finale show them putting on the rims,wheels and the spotlights get put on....but would love to see all the stories and events that have been mentioned in the past....Xould show the Roashouse and how he got killed hunting with John...all the little back stories and history coold be shown and told.

I could get down with either one of those ideas, but then again Jeffrey Dean Morgan and the kids who played young Sam and Dean are 10 years older than they were when we saw them in the first episode/flash backs. You'd be hard pressed to make that work without completely recasting the roles and that could upset a lot of people. A Men of Letters show could definitely be cool though. We could see a lot of the supernatural mixed with the scientific in some of the experiments they performed in the bunker and whatnot. Not to mention the actors who play Henry and Abbadon are fresh on the scene, and could be the new sort of "Mulder and Scully".

I've been behind on my Supernatural and just watched Bloodlines last night. What a waste of an episode. It didn't make any sense to introduce so many new characters; a spin-off really needs to be built around an existing character in order to bring the existing audience along for the ride.

HOWEVER I would much rather have one called SUPERNATURAL: BEGINNINGS...and show a younger John Winchester on the road with his boys...you could see the stories theyve mentioned but never seen......bring back the amulet Dean wears...the Impala would be stock exvept gor the radio...MAYBE on the series finale show them putting on the rims,wheels and the spotlights get put on....but would love to see all the stories and events that have been mentioned in the past....Xould show the Roashouse and how he got killed hunting with John...all the little back stories and history coold be shown and told.

This, would love to see that
a) because it would be great to see a young John Winchester hunting in his prime
b) which would also give us Bobby in his prime and show us that side of the "family" developing. Always felt that Bobby was Sam and Dean's Alfred.
c) to see the boys personalities developing, loved the episode with Dean at the young offenders home.
d) well, I don't need a d coz a,b and c were so good.

edit: I thought of a d, The rise of Crowley through the hell ranks as a sideline story, and Cas through heaven etc

Re: "Supernatural" Back Door PIlot "Bloodlines"

I could get down with either one of those ideas, but then again Jeffrey Dean Morgan and the kids who played young Sam and Dean are 10 years older than they were when we saw them in the first episode/flash backs. You'd be hard pressed to make that work without completely recasting the roles and that could upset a lot of people. A Men of Letters show could definitely be cool though. We could see a lot of the supernatural mixed with the scientific in some of the experiments they performed in the bunker and whatnot. Not to mention the actors who play Henry and Abbadon are fresh on the scene, and could be the new sort of "Mulder and Scully".

was thinking you could get the guy who played YOUNG JOHN ..Matt Cohen, beens hes a few years older now and the kids could easily be recast...especially if they are maybe teenagers,,wink

- - - Updated - - -

This, would love to see that
a) because it would be great to see a young John Winchester hunting in his prime
b) which would also give us Bobby in his prime and show us that side of the "family" developing. Always felt that Bobby was Sam and Dean's Alfred.
c) to see the boys personalities developing, loved the episode with Dean at the young offenders home.
d) well, I don't need a d coz a,b and c were so good.

edit: I thought of a d, The rise of Crowley through the hell ranks as a sideline story, and Cas through heaven etc
EXACTly WHAT i WAS THINKING...WE SEE THE CHARACTERS now...LETS SEE HOW THEY GOT THERE IN A LITTLE MORE DETAIL...SEE jOHN RIDING WITH HIS BOYS IN THE iMPALA...LEARNING TO HUNT...MAKE EMF'S....LISTENING TO CLASSIC ROCK...jOHN WEARING THAT BROWN LEATHER JACKET THAT dEAN USE TO WEAR.,,Wiould love to see al that.

Re: "Supernatural" Back Door PIlot "Bloodlines"

was thinking you could get the guy who played YOUNG JOHN ..Matt Cohen, beens hes a few years older now and the kids could easily be recast...especially if they are maybe teenagers,,wink

The only problem with that is John didn't become a hunter until after Mary's death. Matt Cohen is far too young (or at least young-looking) to play that role, especially if you're saying the boys are in their teens.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back