Superman... UPGRADES!! Dyesublimation Printing

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by Cptnchaos, May 22, 2006.

1. Cptnchaos

Cptnchaos Well-Known Member

Hey there, I was hoping someone might be able to help me out with this.

I want to go from THIS plain BLUE spandex superman:

[​IMG]

To this patterned Returns suit:

[​IMG]

I was wondering if there is anyone who can do Dyesublimation Printing on Stretch Fabrics. Is this at all possible. AFFORDABLE and available?? All I need is the fabric to have the diamond pattern put on it and I can handle the rest.

Please let me know if anyone knows ANYTHING about who I can talk to about this.

Thanks..

Damian

2. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Aren't these suits made by a major manufacturer? Why not just buy their suit?

3. fettster

fettster Sr Member

where do you live? i know a dye sub company

4. Cptnchaos

<div class='quotetop'>(fettster @ May 22 2006, 01:20 PM) [snapback]1248542[/snapback]</div>
    \

I live in NORTH HOLLYWOOD California.

Damian

5. Kal-ElofKrypton

Kal-ElofKrypton Well-Known Member

This would be amazing to make.

6. fettster

fettster Sr Member

well i live in the uk, i suppose its possible as material is light enough to ship, pm me if you want my help

7. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

I don't think that pattern is printed on there. Looks like it's the weave of the fabric. The offset square within a square is a fairly common design pattern in fabrics.

8. Kal-ElofKrypton

I'd be willing to get a swatch of the material so I can take it to a manufacture and make the suit for myself.

9. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

It is a particular weave.

Also, the suit itself is available from the manufacturer. They bought the suits essentially ready-made and then customized them.

10. Zendragon

Zendragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Who is the manufacturer?

11. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

I'm looking into it. I remember the info being posted a while back.

12. CTF

CTF Sr Member

The suits are available but if I remember correctly that the Supes suit has the diamond pattern while the readily available one is a bump/circle pattern... So it won't be totally accurate. :unsure

This will be cool (and it's weird how people are warming up to the suit.).

13. Kittlemeier

Kittlemeier Well-Known Member

From an interview with the costume designer and costume supervisor:

<div class='quotetop'></div>

They also mention it's made from milliskin and how thin it was, which doesn't sound like a coarse fabric but who knows? Here's the link to the interview. K

costume interview

14. misterfusion

misterfusion Sr Member

If I remember, the suits were made by Speedo. Take a look at these bodysuits HERE.

In looking at the extreme close-up pic posted above, I do wonder if the diamond pattern was screened onto the material, then sent to Speedo for manufacture.

Steve

15. Cptnchaos

<div class='quotetop'>(Kittlemeier @ May 24 2006, 04:20 AM) [snapback]1249532[/snapback]</div>

They also mention it's made from milliskin and how thin it was, which doesn't sound like a coarse fabric but who knows? Here's the link to the interview. K

costume interview
    [/b][/quote]

THAT is an Awesome article...

THANK YOU for posting it..

D

16. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Topps has some of the costume pieces on their cards. I have a piece of the cape, and am waiting for a piece of the blue part of the costume to come in the mail. I will tell you more about the blue part when it arrives.

You can currently find them on ebay.

17. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

I just bought the official movie guide. Even the gray & silver pod suit has the dye sub and laser etched/molded details on the pieces.

18. Cptnchaos

Here are the HI-RES images of the REAL MOVIE COSTUME that I took.

Enjoy.

Damian

ps: Thanks to Kevin for hosting them for me.

19. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

nice pics damian .

i wonder why they went with the pin striping on the legs and back of the torso?

dave

20. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

After looking at the closeup photos, it doesn't look like a dye sub, it looks like a simple photo silkscreen pattern to me.

21. Darth Mule

Darth Mule Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(GeneralMayhem @ May 27 2006, 11:26 PM) [snapback]1252003[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed. You can see the reflectiveness of the paint on the surface. And doesn't the interview mention printing?

22. BatDemon

BatDemon Active Member

I say the actual suits are neither dye-sub or screen printed. The articles state that the suits were furnished by Speedo and custom dyed. Looking at pics of their suits, they use the fabric of the SR suit for accents only. These portions have a raise texture woven into the fabric to break down resistance while swimming. Silk screening with heavy ink would be the best way to approximate this.

23. teecrooz

I got a piece of the suit today. It is definitely printed on, not sewn in.

24. BatDemon

BatDemon Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(teecrooz @ May 30 2006, 02:28 PM) [snapback]1253174[/snapback]</div>
    I'm waiting for one of those, too, but from what I've seen on the Speedo site, it looks woven in. I haven't found one of the suits in a sporting goods store to verify, though.

25. teecrooz

I have it in hand, and it is definitely on the surface and not woven in. You'll see when you get your swatch.

26. BatDemon

BatDemon Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(teecrooz @ May 30 2006, 04:32 PM) [snapback]1253248[/snapback]</div>
    cool. makes me think there was some disinformation in the costume description. Has anyone seen the suits these are 'based' on?

27. Kittlemeier

Has anyone actually read one of the articles that mention Speedo as the manufacturer? The only thing I come up with on searches is everyone thinks the trunks look like speedos but nothing about the manufacturer. Maybe the Speedo rumor grew from that and the fact that the costume can appear to be made of the dimpled material Speedo uses. The only thing I've found about the actual fabric is from the previously linked article. K

28. BatDemon

BatDemon Active Member

Didn't that article say the base suit came from Speedo? I know the seamlines on the suit look like a Fastskin 1 suit.

29. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

What may look like seam lines are part of the printed pattern. The suit actually has very few visible seams.

30. BatDemon

BatDemon Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(GeneralMayhem @ May 30 2006, 06:32 PM) [snapback]1253307[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, the arm, shoulder and back. I can't tell if the lines around the hips, thighs and part of the arm are printed/woven on or an overlock seam.

31. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

They're printed. It's part of the "art deco" motif on the suit.

32. Kittlemeier

<div class='quotetop'>(BatDemon @ May 30 2006, 06:28 PM) [snapback]1253302[/snapback]</div>
    That particular article didn't say anything about Speedo. Although with the lines I can see where the mistake could be made. K

33. Cptnchaos

<div class='quotetop'>(GeneralMayhem @ May 30 2006, 11:30 PM) [snapback]1253333[/snapback]</div>

I'll post my HI-RES images of the suit I took in person later tonight.

Damian

34. Cptnchaos

35. BatDemon

BatDemon Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kittlemeier @ May 30 2006, 08:33 PM) [snapback]1253359[/snapback]</div>
    That particular article didn't say anything about Speedo. Although with the lines I can see where the mistake could be made. K
    [/b][/quote]

Definately, because aside from a center seam, those 'deco' lines look alot like the FastSkin lines. Oh, on the Speedos, those lines are overlock stiches of some sort.

36. Got Maul

Got Maul Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

this is a fascinating thread. Being a Reeves outfit enthusiast, I was never really taken by this latest rendition, but slowly am being weened over a bit.

The one tidbit I would have to offer is how difficult it is going to be to find a thick spandex in THAT color...It took me forever and a day to find the right stuff for the Reeves outfit, same with Chris King who started it. No less, I look at the color of this thing and realize that you might encounter the same problem - no less, when you get to that stage, I will defnitely help out with my old resources.

Also, how about the emblem ? I know a child's version exists and am very certain that a lifesize one will exist at some point as well.

37. Cptnchaos

<div class='quotetop'>(Got Maul @ May 31 2006, 04:06 PM) [snapback]1253697[/snapback]</div>

The BLUE miliskin covering of the suit is REALLY REALLY REALLY THIN... The dense look of the suit comes from the muscle suit underneat.

There are a few guys making the S shield with mini S's in them. They will post eventually when they finalized their projects.

Damian

38. BatDemon

BatDemon Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Cptnchaos @ May 31 2006, 02:57 PM) [snapback]1253773[/snapback]</div>
    so it is milliskin? not a neoprene that the speedos whould be made of? I think I have something close. I wouldn't want to dye unless absoutely necessary. Yeah several people are working on the shields. Superman5 showing the most promise. on a sheap and dirty method, the 'power hands' have the \S/ texture in what looks to be the correct scale embossed on them. take a texture stamep of that and ad it to the watergun sheild.......

39. bleyd

bleyd Sr Member

Those boots look comfortable as hell. I'd wear a pair of them just for everyday use.

40. corpseguy

corpseguy Well-Known Member

you guys mean something like this? ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

been working on this for a little whilenow.
    shoot me an email if you want details.

joe

41. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

42. Superman5

Superman5 New Member

Hey Joe, are those diamonds raised? Or flat?

43. BatDemon

BatDemon Active Member

Dye-sub? so they're flat. The pic makes them look a bit fuzzy. Is is out of focus? Also, how do they look when stretched across a body?

44. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

so where the hell is everyone getting pieces of the actual used costume?

NWJEDI
    dave

45. corpseguy

Superman5 - Sadly Flat however it seems to have taken on a slight raised effect.

BatDemon - yup Dye sub. might be a little out of focus.. i'm not knowen for my photography, so far it hugs the body really well.

nwjedidave - who said anyhitng about a screen used suit? ;)

46. BatDemon

BatDemon Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(corpseguy @ Jun 1 2006, 07:02 PM) [snapback]1254486[/snapback]</div>
    sorry, I meant do the diamonds distort much when stretched on the body or has that been taken in account with the print?

NWJedi- Ebay, unless you what to buy tons of baseball cards hoping to get one of the swatch cards.

47. nwjedidave

nwjedidave Sr Member

NWJedi- Ebay, unless you what to buy tons of baseball cards hoping to get one of the swatch cards.

yea i figured that would be an option ....

NWJEDI
    dave

48. corpseguy

<div class='quotetop'>(BatDemon @ Jun 2 2006, 12:19 AM) [snapback]1254498[/snapback]</div>
    not a great deal no. there is some minor distortion as it conforms around the body but thats to be expected

49. Cptnchaos

<div class='quotetop'>(corpseguy @ Jun 1 2006, 11:39 PM) [snapback]1254507[/snapback]</div>
    not a great deal no. there is some minor distortion as it conforms around the body but thats to be expected
    [/b][/quote]

I am going to make the suit but tailor it to make it look good on ME, Those tiny panty looking shorts Routh wears would make me look silly... I am all for movie acuracy but I am willing to make a few exceptions to prevent public humiliation. ;)

Cant wait to see your work Corpseguy..

D

50. Kal-ElofKrypton

WOW that looks great. How where you able to do this?