Superhero Costume - Getting Started

Scrier

So, I've decided that as my first costume attempt I need to add a replica of my City of Heroes' character's team uniform to my collection, but I have no idea where to start on this. Tried on and off for a few weeks now to find anything at all similar or a pattern that I could use to get something started on this, but I cannot for the life of me find anything that looks useful.

At the moment, I've got money to throw at it and all the time in the world to make mistakes and recover from it. The costume as I'm looking at it is this one:

BeamBoltersmall.jpg

The character I'd want to do is the one on the right. In terms of the description I've given him, the suit is supposed to be a rough leather, and not quite as shiny as the artist painted it. Can't for the life of me find a pattern to base it on, either on the internet, or even searching here on the RPF, but I suspect there's a good chance I'm looking in the wrong places. For a non-shiny leatherish look, what fabrics would people recommend? Should I just straight up try leather?

Thanks for taking the time to help out a complete noob.

You will be crying if you did that all in leather. It will be more than slightly uncomfortable to have a suit that needs to be form-fitting, completely made out of leather.
That wouldn't even be comfortable as pleather!

They do sell some spandex/lycra materials, however, that mimic the look of leather. You could try that?
This kind is a 4-way stretch fabric that mimics the look of leather. But I do warn you, even this is not going to be extremely comfortable.

Comfort isn't something I was overly worried about. At most, I was expecting to wear the thing for a few hours at a time. The only concern I have with the stretchier materials is that I'm not in the best shape at the moment. That's given me a few ideas though of material sources that I can try locally and some alternatives.

Thanks!

If you have all the time in the world now then why not diet and do a little fitness here and there. I bought a spiderman suit from spidey4fun knowing I wasn't in good enough shape for it. I have lost 30 pounds since buying it. Use your project as your motivator. If your body doesn't look right then using more restrictive materials is only going to help you out a little bit but at a huge cost to comfort. Idk but if it were me I'd do the leather looking Lycra and start dieting and doing pull-ups and push-ups everyday.

It's kinda lame, but I have been for exactly that reason. Still working on it though, so you're right. It just makes it a little hard to make something for myself when I'm not sure what my body shape is going to be for it. My own character has been my inspiration for getting into shape, which seems a little weird when I say it out loud, but hey, it's working.

You could always work on parts that aren't that dependent on body type (mask, chest emblem, cape) while you're getting in shape. Tracking down materials, techniques and whatnot takes time as well so there's plenty to do in the meantime.

Scrier, not meaning to derail this into a fitness thread, but since you said you have money, I would highly recommend Medifast. I lost 66 pounds in 4 months last year. And to KidCas5154's point, I used the WOK Trek uniform as my incentive. I had it hanging on my closet door and had to look at it every day until it fit.

Good luck bro. You can do it.

mark

I'm mostly focusing on weightlifting at the moment, because I really, really enjoy watching myself get stronger, but I've been eyeing off CrossFit just in case I start to get bored with lifting heavy things and putting them down.

We lift heavy things and put them down again at Cross Fit.

A LOT.

Probably not the best idea if I get bored with that then.

Actual update though: I am actually moving forward with this, first trying a skin-tight fabric version before I try something a little more solid. Hopefully I'll have it done in the next few days, with pictures and all. Not the greatest first-time sewer, but with an awesome support network (read: mother) I'm getting the hang of it. I just wish she lived closer.

Probably not the best idea if I get bored with that then.

Actual update though: I am actually moving forward with this, first trying a skin-tight fabric version before I try something a little more solid. Hopefully I'll have it done in the next few days, with pictures and all. Not the greatest first-time sewer, but with an awesome support network (read: mother) I'm getting the hang of it. I just wish she lived closer.

In other news, I lied and failed pretty hard at taking pictures.

I have nothing constructive to add other than OMG COH!!! I miss that game so much. I'm definitely interested in seeing your progress! Maybe someday I'll cosplay as my main character!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back