Prop Store

Super Mario Bros. meteorite necklace

Discussion in 'Production Made Costumes and Props' started by Darth Exodus, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Darth Exodus

Darth Exodus New Member

I watched Super Mario Bros. at my friends dorm lastnight, and ever since that movie came out, I have always wanted that meteorite necklace that Daisy wore. Has that piece ever been done by anyone on here, or more importantly, is there any interest in having one done?

2. 8 perf

8 perf Sr Member

Having worked on the show as one of my first gigs, I have fond memories of that movie.
    I also have one of the copies of the rock necklace. We made them in the FX shop in clear resin.
    The fun part was dying the top half blue with embedded glitter. :)

3. Darth Exodus

Darth Exodus New Member

Glitter, eh??? I love that blue top part of it, hahaha I'm a sucker for anything blue. Do you have any pics by any chance?

4. 8 perf

8 perf Sr Member

I have this pic. The glitter was more of an iridescent type liquid we added to the resin. Not sure if you can really see it in this pic. The "Crust" of the meteor and the leather necklace are not on this piece.

[attachmentid=6662]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  5. d_osborn

d_osborn Sr Member

being a child of the 80s, and having grown up playing super mario.... my memories aren't so fond of the film. ;)

VERY cool story and prop, though. i actually kinda have a love/hate feeling towards the film. it's so 'out-there', that i can't help but get a kick out of it. ... i just have to forget the title, haha.

6. Gilmortar

Gilmortar Sr Member

Man I was thinking about this the other day. 8 perf, did you work on the Stomper boots? I would be really interested in knowing what the source for those are, as I would REALLY like to make a set.

7. 8 perf

8 perf Sr Member

There were only one set of "Hero" stomper boots that I know of. They were cast from a hard resin afgter being sculpted around a set of ski boots. These were made in L.A. and we made molds forthe foam rubber versions to be used by the actors in long shots and anytime you didn't need to see the actions of the cartridge ot the lights over the toes work.
    I couldn't tell you what model of boot they were done from, however I am pretty sure Patrick Tatapolis was the designer. I have a ton of pics of the Fungus I made, and some of the other props and stuff. I have a few of the police cars and the Thwomp Stompers. Ill try to scan them in later this weekend and get them up here.

8. Starfighter29

Starfighter29 Member

Even though this thread has been long since dead, I thought I'd revive it because I've come across something that might be of interest to people...

I recently had the opportunity to purchase the last hero meteorite necklace from the film. It's a very nice piece still in great condition, and as mentioned above, where it's dyed around the "crust" at the top is pretty cool. When you hold it up to the light, it actually is transparent all the way through, though the top doesn't look like it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm a big fan of this film and am also still trying to find some other props from it. I'd love to find one of the Stomper Boots... even though there was only one hero pair, they made some others out of foam latex as display boots for set deco.

9. Chronos

Chronos Sr Member

Sweet pics.

I've got a soft-spot for this movie. :thumbsup

10. silverskyes402

silverskyes402 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is pretty bad *, this was one of my fav movies when I was a kid, I always wanted q pai of the boots that made you jump really far lol

11. Starfighter29

Starfighter29 Member

Thanks! It's a great prop. Certainly one of the holy grails from the movie.

I also have a love for that movie. It really had some awesome props and art direction. I've talked to a couple people who worked on the film and they all said that it was a ton of work and even though the movie wasn't very popular, those guys are still proud of their hard work on it.

12. Contec

Contec Master Member

I would like to see more props from this movie :)

13. Starfighter29

Starfighter29 Member

This is one of the other props I have from the film. It's the Bullet Bill cartridge Mario puts into the chamber on the back of the Stomper Boot before firing it at Koopa toward the end of the movie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have a few other props from the movie I'll be getting in about a week. Unfortunately, I think a lot of the props from the movie were destroyed after filming ended.

14. Contec

Contec Master Member

I have made myself a bob-omb
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Starfighter29

Starfighter29 Member

That's very cool. Nice job on that! I wonder if there are any of the real screen used ones left around somewhere?

16. blownhemi

blownhemi Well-Known Member

I ended up watching the movie again this morning because of this thread. While personally, I can't really recommend this to anyone that I know for fear of losing friends, I will admit that it did have some cool props. :lol ;)

I would love to see the boots made, and I'm thinking of trying my hand at a Bob-Omb.

17. Contec

Contec Master Member

check out my thread http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=45769 got a little info on how i made mine.

18. blownhemi

blownhemi Well-Known Member

19. Starfighter29

Starfighter29 Member

Here's a pretty cool pic of one of the clay Stomper Boot pre-production models and the ski boot they used as a foundation.

[​IMG]

20. Gilmortar

Gilmortar Sr Member

Which they just so happen to be the Salomon SX41

[​IMG]

This is the picture i've been waiting years for.

21. Starfighter29

Starfighter29 Member

Wow! I've been wanting to find out which ski boots they used for years! Great bit of info! Thanks!

22. Gilmortar

Gilmortar Sr Member

No Prob! If theres one thing I'm good at, its researching found pieces!

23. Starfighter29

Starfighter29 Member

Yeah now if only I could find one of the screen used boots...

24. 8 perf

8 perf Sr Member

25. Starfighter29

Starfighter29 Member

Well since I guess this has become the official SMB thread here, I thought I'd post my latest acquisitions from the film...

Mario's Tool Set!
    [​IMG]

Apparently, right as filming began, Bob Hoskins was fitted with a complete set of real tools to carry throughout the film, however they were very heavy to lug around the whole time (throughout the entire film actually) so he requested a lighter set be made. These tools were cast out of resin from the metal tools and these were the ones he ended up carrying instead. And understandably so...these tools are one half to 3/4 lighter than real metal and wood tools.

26. Contec

Contec Master Member

27. Starfighter29

Starfighter29 Member

Yep, you're exactly right. That is the Spanner Wrench he used in that scene. Here's a better pic of it.

[​IMG]

28. Fuzz080

Fuzz080 New Member

Great pics everyone!

29. D00R

D00R Well-Known Member

i liked this movie a lot when I was a kid, it wasn't perfect but it was and still is a fun movie to watch.

30. 8 perf

8 perf Sr Member

Not screen used, but then again, we made a few of them for the show. Got this on the day we wrapped as it was headed for the dumpster.

31. Starfighter29

Starfighter29 Member

Very cool piece! Were you able to snag any other items from the film while you were working on it?

Thanks for sharing!

32. 8 perf

8 perf Sr Member

nothing substantial. Just an unused blueprint for a combo chainsaw/ guitar and some of the subway grafitti signs. Probably could post those over in the paper props section if I can find 'em.

33. Starfighter29

Starfighter29 Member

Actually those sound pretty cool! I'd be interested in seeing them sometime!

34. eltee

eltee Sr Member

I was able to obtain a screen used police helmet and shoulder patch. I'll post some pics later.

35. GCLAMBERT89

GCLAMBERT89 Active Member

wow this thread brought back some memories. Love that movie.

36. Beechy McFly

Beechy McFly Sr Member

Loved the movie and the music.. Would love a necklace..

37. Kudi

Kudi New Member

Awesome! This actually is going to help my husband and I for a con in March. He wasn't looking forward to carrying around heavy tools either for his Luigi. Thanks!

38. metaldud

metaldud New Member

Love this movie have such a soft spot for it.

39. Starfighter29

Starfighter29 Member

The movie really is a lot of fun even though it's a loose translation of the games. I've always loved the art direction and all of the prop designs.

I think people are starting to see the film a bit differently now and it has developed quite a following in recent years.

40. metaldud

metaldud New Member

the film has definatly moved into cult status with alot of people i know. Shame that the cast hate the fact that they were ever a part of it at the time.

41. Starfighter29

Starfighter29 Member

It is indeed a shame that the cast doesn't tend to reflect back too fondly on the film, but I think the biggest part of that reason was because of the chaotic, confusing lack of direction they were receiving. The cast actually had fun while they were shooting it, but from an acting standpoint, they didn't have the most optimal actor-director relationship that I think a lot of them were used to. Over time, the cast has at least started talking about the film, some memories being fond, but they're also frank about the film's problems as well, whereas in the past, they've never wanted to even discuss it.

People who were part of the crew actually have quite a different take on the film because it gave a lot of them a great start in the industry or it was the largest production some of them had ever worked on. I mean, the film actually had a pretty large scale to it when you look at the variety of sets and how large some of them were, in addition to the quite creative production design. I look at the film as also sort of being the end of the 80s/early-90s type of filmmaking where they weren't afraid to build massive sets and they continued to push the boundaries of practical effects before CG took over.

Overall, I still look at the film as being a lot of fun and great example of the large scale big budget films from that era had.