Summer Fun and Falcon Kits?

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by SGluedMyFingers, Jun 13, 2005.

1. SGluedMyFingers

SGluedMyFingers Well-Known Member

I noted that Jack Smith updated his site as of June 9th and states that he will be taking orders for Falcon Kits during the summer.

http://www.falconkits.com/

I sent him an email and am awaiting a reply.

Anyone confirmed an order or received an order? I've got my fingers crossed.

2. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

With the Fine Molds kit coming out I would say that his product is obsolete. He should have got his product out over the last year.

3. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nothing against Jack here, but * talk about missing the boat. There was a HUGE market for these and no fulfillment. I know he has a real job in the real world, but he missed a ton of sales on these and come March 06, he will not be able to give these away.

Its a shame because I really wanted a set until a month ago.

JDH

4. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

That's exactly what I meant. I was going to get a set to use on my new Falcon re-issue. I wouldn't have even bought the ERTL kit if I had known about the FM kit.

5. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sounds like you and me are in the exact same boat. Maybe one day I will get a wild hair and make custom freighter out of it.

6. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Sr Member

LOL^ exactly what I was thinking of doing... get my FM kit, then use my Ertl to make a custom smuggler "stock light freighter".

7. SGluedMyFingers

SGluedMyFingers Well-Known Member

I hear you guys. But, I don't see myself owning more than one finemolds falcon. I already own more than one AMT/Ertl. It looks like they may be available for a limited time (summer). I'm planning on picking up a set so that I don't have to kick my own hole two years from now when my FM falcon is done and I get some crazy new diaroma idea in the middle of the night.

Accurization is fun for me - a next step to true scratchbuilding, I hope. I am very excited for the FM release, but am still just as excited about the AMT re-release AND a summer casting of Falcon Kits. If every kit was just perfect, I suspect that I would get bored with this pretty soon - kinda like paint-by-numbers (Gosh, remember those?).

Also, I'm becoming a collector of sorts. I purchased a '77 Ertl falcon recently on e-bay JUST for the box and OLD electronics (the little styrene power switch is a trip). I've trying to get a set of Falcon Kits for so long... well, now I just have to have them.

By the way, Jack answered my e-mail in about 30 minutes. It was kinda surreal. He's never responded before. :confused

Anyway, it's gonna be a good year for the old bird - about time. Now if we could only get the same respect shown for the Tantive...

8. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

I was on his waiting list for, like, YEARS.
    I eventually just gave up.
    Maybe with the FM Falcon drawing away demand, he'll lower his prices a little.

9. balta1

balta1 New Member

While I myself will buy the FM Falcon when it comes out, I still think there is a demand for Falcon Kits. I have some mpc falcons in my stash that I would still want to build with the resin.
    Keep in mind that the FM Falcon still has no price.

10. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Well the FM falcon is going to be the 32" ESB version. The Ertle model was made to resemble the 5 footer - and Jacks kit mopre closely resembles the 5 footer as well... It seems to be that the ERTL kit can me could be accurized to resoemble the 5 footer and the FM can be the 32"... and your basic falcons are covered ;) Jacks kits really are good and make a very nice falcon. If you're a total sticklet for accuracy you might be disappointed but for a really nice kit that "looks" right its worth the money.

Jedi Dade

11. cobywan

cobywan Sr Member

That's a great point about ERTL being the 5' Falcon. That gives me a perfect excuse to get a set now.

12. Boxster

Boxster Well-Known Member

13. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Coby,

It was based off of the 5 foot falcon but it sstill takes a TON of correction to make it look right... almost as much as it does to make it look like the 32" Its still a good project though ;) probably trivial for you after looking at your "G" ;)

Jedi Dade

14. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You could always make this with your spare AMT/Ertl Falcons. :lol

[​IMG]