Suggestions for mounting longer/rounder/smaller props on a wall?

ZombieBait

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My son and I are redecorating our upstairs Nerd Room: we'd like to hang some superhero props on the walls next to an autographed picture of the film version of the hero.

We have autographs from RDJ (Iron Man), C. Hemsworth (Thor), Alan Ritchson (Aquaman on SMALLVILLE), Justin Hartley (Green Arrow), Burt Ward etc...but for the life of me I can't figure out how to successfully mount Thor's hammer, the batarangs, the arrow and Iron Man's mask on the wall.

I want them to hang there, but be easily removed so he and his friends can play with them (I'm a firm believer in playing with things).

Do you guys have props like this already on your walls? If so...how did you do it?

Thanks!

-Brendan

Here are just a few suggestions:
Thor's hammer - look into guitar hooks
batarang - get a bigger frame add a custom velvet type of mat around the autograph and add your batarangs on the mat (even if they are held in by transparent twist ties). Also, add a title to the mat. Perhaps cut out letter outlines in the mat and place a nice color posterboard behind the outlines.
arrow - The arrow...you may want to buy some plexiglass and cut out similar to a wall mount paper towel rack. Then, instead of where the you would place the paper towels, perhaps cut a few notches on the top so that you can just sit the arrow in the notches. This way the arrow is still horizontal but on the wall. Use, maybe, transparent plexiglass for a floating look or green acrylic for matching Green Arrow.

I'm sure you know this but recommendations for mounting autographs are UV glass, acid free matboard, and try to have as little light or heat on them as possible. I have seen too many autographs fade over time due to the lack of one of these suggestions.

Also, I don't know how many people here do this but I prefer to have themes and if you have a lot of items you want to showcase then rotate them every few weeks or so. That way your wall can be almost museum like where less sometimes is more. It works for me but a lot of people may disagree.

Sorry, for the long post. Hope I didn't come off as "You should do this" or say anything that you are like "Well, duh" about. Just a few ideas that popped into my head while typing. You should post a picture when you are done.

No, man, that's just what I was looking for. All these suggestions will be looked into, and I love the detail and willingness to help. I LOVE the ideas about the hammer and arrow.

For the autographs I usually don't mount or frame the originals, but color photocopies. The originals are in acid free albums, tucked safely away. :)

We've decided to break the corners of the room up into themes, kinda. One corner will be a Batman corner, with Dark Knight/TV series/Burton series stuff and autographs. Next to that will be a few more DC heroes (I'd like to round it out with DC's Big Three; we're big DC people in our house). Opposite that will be the Big Three from The Avengers (once I get Chris Evans on a Cap shot!).

Oh, and I'll take pictures. Don't you worry.

:)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back