SubZero / Scorpion - Noobs Need Advice!

General Anubis

Alright, so I've been lurking on these forums for probably about 4 years, eyeballing the awesome costumes and wishing I had the skill/time to do one myself. The time has finally come when I have a very small window to work on one of my own and (possibly) the skills necessary.

My friend and I have decided to attempt Scorpion and Sub Zero. Since they are nearly identical builds, we should be able to help each other out without much divergence from our own course.

All that being said, I come here asking for advice and a little help since I know that the people on this forum are awesome and way more skilled than either of us.

My reference shot that I'm focusing on making my costume match is this one:
1898386-1779347_subzero_mk9art_super.jpg

I plan on doing the Pep mask by Vagabond, and I wasn't sure if I should try making it out of foam or the standard cardstock route? It seems like it might be too intricate to make out of foam, so I'm not sure if that's the way to go.

I've found a pretty good hood that matches Sub Zero's there almost exactly (with a little cutting to the face area of it perhaps)
31LldXxY3cL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Our goal is to have these ready by October, and I hope that's realistic.

Where I needed some advice was: What material would be best for those accents on his outfit (the piece at the bottom of the tunic, the boot/shin guard/arm guard/belt details, etc.) I was thinking of carving it out of EVA foam, since that's probably the one thing I've had a decent amount of experience with before this.

I wasn't sure also which wrist guards/shin guards/bicep guards?? to start with as a base, with whatever route I set for adding detail to be added on top of.

Also, would a weight-lifting belt work well for the belt? I've looked around at some "championship belts" but I think anything that's already got something on it is going to look stupid, so that's where I was thinking weight-lifting belt.

I plan on making the Lin Kuei symbol details on the chest out of a cast from the bottom of a coke can + some detail work.

Anyway, that's where I'm at so far, which is to say I've barely started, lol. But, the sooner I posted this thread the faster I can get the "expert advice" from you guys, so any help is greatly appreciated for my first build here!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with being a big MK fan...

for the mask I would probably not bother with foam, I don't think I have seen anyone make one of these out of foam and some of the more finer pieces I would imagine will be a nightmare to try and work in foam format.

Your weightlifting belt idea sounds pretty good, I wouldn't have thought of that and is a pretty good shape match....
I think a good base for you to add your foam forearm guards to would be something like these or similar
RDX Forearm Arm Pad boxing MMA Guards Protection TKD S | eBay

and possibly something like these for the shins to be built upon?

Venum Shin Guards & Insteps Kontact Protective Gear UFC MMA Kickboxing One Size | eBay

Good luck dude, I will be keeping an eye on this build

Nice, thanks for the advice and the links SDUK!

Those forearms and the shins look about perfect without being terribly expensive. I might look around a little more for some shin guards that include a knee piece, and if I can't find anything I'll just shape that knee piece out of the foam that I attach on top of the guards. And I still don't even know where to begin to look for something like those bicep/arm guards he has - I might just have to make those from scratch, as a good base is not forthcoming from many google searches.

A small update of info I forgot to include - I've got a master-quilter as a friend that has agreed to help me with the tunic. I'm going to be looking for the material to use for it though and I'm not really sure what to go for. It seems like it should have at least a little bit of sheen to it, with maybe a faux leather bit for the shoulder area?

One more thing I'm lacking: if anyone has the game, could I get a shot of his back? I can't seem to find a good back shot (though, I know I've seen one on these very forums but can't seem to find it again either).

Thanks!

Here is another link in case you didn't see it of someone selling the masks. the last post was 7/30/12 but it looks like he still has the molds.
scorpion-subzero-noob-smoke-mortal-kombat-vs-93859

Just got the game (MK9) yesterday, played through it (of course!) and now I've got full access to that as a good reference. There are some subtle differences between the in-game model and the artist's rendition that I've been looking to as my goal. I think I'm going to be OK with not being 100% game accurate (considering I'd have to have a ridiculously complex undershirt/wrap/thing going on that wouldn't add just a whole lot of detail for the amount of work involved) as long as I can get as close as the artist did in that drawing, I'm going to be happy, lol.

Yay! My search for an adequate base for the Bicep Armor piece is over!

Check out this cheap little beauty, I think it'll be perfect for this!
Legend Arm Guard - M | Archery Shop | Alternative Sporting Services

[EDIT]: Argh! Got to find somewhere that sells these in the US!
[EDIT2]: Decided to go with a US-Made brand archery mid-size arm guard that is close to the same shape/size.

That was my last piece to find, now I'm off to find the fabrics for the tunic and begin pep work on the mask :D

Last edited:
Small Update:

Been tied up working on my Masquerade mask for a masquerade ball I'll be attending at the end of this month (coming up sooner than Halloween so it took some priority), but I just went out on a hunt for fabrics to make the tunic and such...

Dear LORD that specific blue color of his tunic doesn't exist in fabric form I swear. I can't seem to find it anywhere at all, so I'm going to have to go with something that is 95% accurate and not 100% (sad face :( ).

Searching and searching and searching for hours on end at more than 5 different fabric stores, I'm forced to search online where again I didn't find the exact color but the closest thing I came up with is Fabric Depot Kona Cotton Cyan.

I think it'll work out alright, I just wish I could find something with more of a sheen to it. If anyone out there has any suggestions on a fabric and color as well as possibly a link to purchase I'm all ears.

Besides that, I managed to find the perfect color for the shoulders (really just a darker tint of the main color, but for some reason that one wasn't hard to find) and I bought some black leather-ish vinyl for the piping along the trim of the tunic. I plan to use Chicago Screws for the rivet-things that attach the shoulder to the rest of the tunic.

I've begun cutting out the Pep file for the mask as well, a lot more daunting than my Masquerade mask, but at least I didn't have to model that one myself, hah.

Can't wait to see how your build turns out.
Glad I've still got some followers! I actually went back and kept looking for some different material and found the perfect color and material with the right sheen.

Perfect Fabric!

It's actually curtain material so it'll have the right stiffness to it as well (won't hang like a prom dress).

I'm almost finished with my Masquerade Mask that I linked earlier, I'm applying Bondo on it now, next step being to smooth it out and paint it, then I'll be done, hopefully within this next week!

Once I'm done there, I'll start the Pep for the mask and I'll hand off the materials to my friend Mary to get started on. Woot woot!

Glad to see you're still going at it. That fabric you found is pretty much the same I found at my local walmart. I didn't go with it mainly because of price though, I went with a little darker because I've got to make frost and sub out of it so paying around 40 - 50 for the fabric would have been a little out of my price range. Maybe you can try there if you didn't order it already.

Good luck with the build, Can't wait to see progress pics :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back