Styrene "filler" question...

LMFAOSchwarz

Sr Member
Atlanthia and I are currently building our Space:1999 Eagle spacecraft. He did a wonderful job shaping his command module. I'm using a different method, plating my command module with styrene plates thusly:
View attachment 123520
I'm sanding down the plates into their proper curves, but I need to use a thin filler in some spots, to keep the eventual size down to its proper proportions while retaining the curvature. I'm worried that a second layer of styrene will enlarge the dimensions too much. My question is: I'm not sure what type of filler to use instead, to "build up" some of the lower spots. I seem to recall reading on here that some fillers (red putty, as I recall) will eat styrene...and I certainly don't want that!:eek I got to this point, and suddenly realized I'm not 100% sure what to use!

What to use, what to use?

I've filled cracks zillions of times, but never a larger area!

Theres nothing wrong with red putty. The thing is. If you dont allow enough time for it to dry it will melt the styrene. The putty has a chemical that melts the styrene and allows adhesion. Once it dries. The styrene is fine, if you sand it before it dries. It will tare the styrene.

Also, dont try to fill major gaps with it. Its only for small spot areas. And never put a big glob on very thin styrene. Thats how i think people have gotten to not like it.

Ooooh, that's what it was! My pea-sized brain didn't retain that critical piece of information! I was planning on the putty...but I dimly recalled reading that, and it made me hesitant.
What is the name of this stuff? I'm picking up supplies this week, and I don't want to be steered by the guy at the store...I trust you guys!:thumbsup

Thanks, IEDBOUNTYHUNTER! :)

No, I'm just using it for extremely thin areas. Here and there.

Last edited:
It's Bondo spot putty, it comes in a red and black tube. I've used it on styrene with no issues. As IED said, apply it in small amounts and let it dry before sanding.

It's very similar to Tamiya Basic Type polyester putty only cheaper and comes in a bigger tube. I think they are both polyester based.

Everything Al said, I use the Bondo spot putty by the tubes it's good stuff for model building, have to re-up on some more for my Galactica build I usually by 2-3 tubes of it at a time its like $4 bucks a tube.

Then what you and IE said will be done here...except that I don't envision needing more than one. That said, with things like this the eyes are often smaller than the stomach, so to speak. Either way, I suppose the stuff must have a decent shelf-life, so I guess I'll get two anyway!:)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back