Studio Scale Y-Wing

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by 1138, Mar 13, 2006.

1. 1138

1138 Well-Known Member

At long last I am nearly finished with my Y-Wing project. Yeah-frickin-hoo. :lol :lol :lol

Still a bit of finalizing on the paint job but I wanted to share some pics... hope you all likey...

Dan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks Wackychimp..

2. streetjudge79

streetjudge79 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well that definitely blows the MR one out of the water. Awesome job..
    Are you doing kits of these or is this a one off piece? I absolutely love it and the paint job.

3. Ivanhotep

Ivanhotep Well-Known Member

They might have a lot in common, you never know.

Looks fantastic. That's one of my favorite ships.

4. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Agreed. Very nice indeed. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Same question...gonna kit it?

5. Beagle Bill

Beagle Bill Well-Known Member

I'd buy a kit. :D Awesome job. :thumbsup

6. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great Job man . Outstanding .

Philip

7. RickDTM

RickDTM Sr Member

VERY cool..

8. 1138

1138 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, thanks for all the kind words, I really appreciate it.

This is a one-off build - 100% original scratchbuild, not that certain "item" you're referring to :p

It's also not related to the MR Y, other than the fact that I was also involved in a small way in helping out that project.

The paint job turned out to be way more challenging than I ever thought it would be. Right now there are about 60 hours into it and it's not quite finished. I'm happy to share paint colors, weathering, etc but let me finish it up first.

Also, I'm happy to say that SF&FM has picked up the build article I wrote so there will be some details in there.

Thanks again..

Dan

9. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Great looking bird...
    Pretty impressive.
    Lynn

10. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

I look and i go ga-ga :eek at that paint everytime, its art man, yes Dan tutorial lol, now where do i get SF&FM in the U.K. :D

11. autoprops713

autoprops713 Well-Known Member

EXCELLENT. Very well done...thumbs way up..

Dave

12. 1138

1138 Well-Known Member

Thanks Lee, appreciate that. SF&FM is published in the UK - got mine from their website and it got to the US within a few days of being published. I think some guys in the UK got it almost same-day.

13. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Doh, its in the U.K already, i just cant see the forest for trees sometimes,im showing my sci fi newbieness methinks lol, i got a cool comic shop that may stock it in my hometown, cheers Dan.

14. STEVE THE SWEDE

STEVE THE SWEDE Sr Member

Fantastic. Now that's a job well done, the paint/weathering job looks spot on to the real deal. Every time I see a "studio accurate" paint job it just sends me chills down the spine, your model difinatly gives me that tingeling feeling. :love

Steve.

15. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WOW... :eek

Markus

16. Pauleysolo

Pauleysolo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Excellent- perhaps you could send your painting tutorial to China for the MR assembly line.

17. Rogue Studios

Rogue Studios Well-Known Member

Very nice work. I love the weathering too it's perfect.

18. KAIBURR

KAIBURR Well-Known Member

Dan,

Brilliant work, that looks amazing. You should be stoked.

Nathan

19. Less than Super Ostrich

Less than Super Ostrich Well-Known Member

truly gorgeous. expertly weathered.

20. 1138

1138 Well-Known Member

Thanks again guys for all the feedback, it definitely inspires me to keep going on this thing.

Still some more weathering to do on the belly of the cockpit and fuselage and the nacelle domes (will it ever end?.?)... here's another shot...

[​IMG]

In case you're wondering how its mounted in this pic, it's mounted upside down (there are mounting points on the top and bottom) and then the pic is flipped 180 degrees. Hope you likey.

21. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Truely a piece of art ... It looks like being stolen from Magic of Myth or anything like it. For me this one is a 100% perfect job on the whole thing . Do you consider a tutorial ? Would be too cool :)

Philip

22. Boba Flint

Boba Flint Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dan I hate you. :p

Good job.

I had a good time meeting you yesterday, thanks again for the gift.

23. shrugger

shrugger Well-Known Member

Truely OUT-FREAKIN-STANDING.
    Have to make sure I don't miss that issue of SF&FM :)

24. 1138

1138 Well-Known Member

Got my Y-Wing case home tonight (lots 'o' plexiglass goodness.) and snapped some pics to share. Forgive the cheesy, wrinkled backdrop, I was too excited to get the pics to worry about ironing the sheet.

This is one BIG HUGE freakin' case - the 1st pic has a dollar bill for scale.

Enjoy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks Wackychimp..

25. Reel Fakes

Reel Fakes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WOW. :eek
    That's perty.

-Chris

26. Bradleyfett

Bradleyfett Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I planning a Y-Wing build myself- I'd be interested to know what paint colors and weathering techniques you used as well.

Bravo.

Mark

27. EchoLeader

EchoLeader Well-Known Member

Dan, come on, fess up. How did you manage to get into the archives and swipe one of their Y-Wings without getting caught?

You, Sir are a steely eyed missileman. :thumbsup :eek :thumbsup

28. Bradleyfett

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EchoLeader @ May 3 2006, 10:17 AM) [snapback]1237440[/snapback]</div>

Had to jump in and give props for the great Apollo 13 quote.

-M

29. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very impressive all around, Dan.

Thanks also for sharing the secret of your low-angle shot in Post #20. :thumbsup

30. 1138

1138 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the props guys. I'm so relieved this project is done. It was a labor of love for sure, but I'm happy to be moving on to the next big project (studio scale sandcrawler).

As for the paint scheme - it's quite involved and required alot of color experimentation. Pure grays ended up too "cool" so a few light layers of color (grays and buff colors) were needed to get the right tone. Used floquil paints exclusively, except for the primer, which was Krylon dark gray. I tried to match as best I could the markings and weathering of the variant commonly called the "yellow" or "gold" Y-Wing.

Weathering was done in 4 stages...

Overall wash in umber and sienna oils
    Spot washes, some darker and some with a more rust color
    Airbrush shading and blast marks, mostly in grimy black (interesting side note: not a drop of pure black paint is used anywhere on the bird)
    Pastels/pigments for finer blast marks, scorching, and general filth and dirtiness.

It was a ton of fun to paint. The toughest part was the cockpit and nacelle markings (ie masking off compound curves is always nasty).

Watch out for the next issue of SF&FM - more details in there. Also, at the request of alot of guys I'm pulling together a detailed paint guide - more to come on that later.

Thanks again..
    Dan

31. star-art

star-art Sr Member

I'm not a big Y fan so I've been quiet about this, sorry. Incredible job, Dan. Simply incredible. So many have tried to build this and so few have succeeded. Having worked on my own "impossible" studio-scale project for nearly 8 years now, I can truly appreciate all you went through to get this done. Hats off to you. :D

If you like I'll be happy to create a gallery for you on my site. And I also want to tackle a Sandcrawler so let me know if I can help. . .

:)

32. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

Now thats what the Y is suppose to look like. Guys, Dan had a huge impact on the MR Y Wing as he built the entire head essembly. He really nailed it. Great Job Dan.

fantastic there are truley gifted arstist here on this board.

Steve

33. REL

REL Sr Member

That looks amazing. Perfectly displayed too.

34. jvasilatos

jvasilatos Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Amazing work, the colors are beautiful.

I can't weather for crap...

I'd still like to commission you to build one up if you have the time ;-)

JV

35. Boxster

Boxster Well-Known Member

That is pretty nice. Good work.

B

36. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Awesome..

It came out really nice.

Lynn

37. bcgd

bcgd Well-Known Member

That is amazing... GREAT JOB... :thumbsup

38. 1138

1138 Well-Known Member

Hey guys...

For those who asked for a tutorial on how I finished this Y-Wing... I finally got it written and posted... here you go..

http://www.starshipbuilder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266

MANY THANKS to Charles Adams (aka star-art) for kindly hosting it on his site :thumbsup :thumbsup

Because the article is in the "Features" section, you need to be a member to get to it... but then again, who isnt already a member of starshipbuilder.com??? :eek

Feel free to post questions and comments over on the site.

39. Bradleyfett

1138, or anyone else,

How long are the plastruct T's supposed to be? I'm working on my own Y and I'm not sure how much to order- I'd just like to know the exact length each of the Ts gets cut. Thanks for any help on this.

Mark

40. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You'll need to get 8 per Y-wing - they come 4 per pack, so two packs.

...Ranger 3?

;)

41. Bradleyfett

<div class='quotetop'>(moffeaton @ May 26 2006, 07:05 PM) [snapback]1251232[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks- I'd still like to know the exact measurement if anyone has it.

R3 is in the final casting stages now- in fact, I'm typing this with resin coating my fingers right now. I'm doing the more delicate parts now- they take longer to cure before I can demold them, so I'm waisting time in the 'puter between pours...

Mark

42. 1138

1138 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Bradleyfett @ May 26 2006, 06:01 PM) [snapback]1251190[/snapback]</div>
    precisely 13.4" ;)

Remember that the t-bar travels all the way to where the L'eggs dome meets the Saturn V, as marked in the pic. Hope that helps.

[​IMG]

43. Bradleyfett

<div class='quotetop'>(1138 @ May 26 2006, 07:50 PM) [snapback]1251251[/snapback]</div>
    precisely 13.4" ;)

Remember that the t-bar travels all the way to where the L'eggs dome meets the Saturn V, as marked in the pic. Hope that helps.

[​IMG]
    [/b][/quote]

Thanks, but could you be a little more precise? Maybe take that number out a few more digits? I mean its it REALLY 13.4, or is it more like 13.3795 ? :)

Really though- that's exactly what I need. I knew the bar went all the way up, that's why I just wanted the measurement of the whole piece. Thanks again.

Mark

44. 1138

1138 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Bradleyfett @ May 26 2006, 07:57 PM) [snapback]1251254[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, my bad for rounding, here's the REALLY precise number: 13.4220472" :lol

45. Bradleyfett

<div class='quotetop'>(1138 @ May 26 2006, 08:51 PM) [snapback]1251284[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, my bad for rounding, here's the REALLY precise number: 13.4220472" :lol
    [/b][/quote]

That's better. I'm going to send these to a laser cutter with that measurement and then I'll be SURE to get the correct size. Bwahaahahahaha.

-M

46. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

What size is the "T" plastruct?

Lynn

47. 1138

1138 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Lynn TXP 0369 @ Jun 3 2006, 08:39 PM) [snapback]1255659[/snapback]</div>
    Its the 1/4" stuff

48. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Great thanks.

Lynn

49. JP05

JP05 Well-Known Member

Just an odd question about the T tracks..............but do they make the same size in brazz or another metal?

Steve

50. 1138

1138 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(JP05 @ Jun 4 2006, 07:41 AM) [snapback]1255886[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, K&S makes a 1/4" brass tee. I think they may have discontinued it but I'm sure you can find it around. I got mine from specialshapes.com