Studio Scale Viper Photos

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Chrima, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Chrima

Chrima New Member

Howdy,

Been doing models for a while, been doing props for a while. So finally decided to get into the Studio Scale arena.

I picked up several kits last year. Finally getting time to start on some of these.

I felt the original series Viper would be a good starting point. This kit is one from Jestefarean. I left off the guns for now. A friend is going to try and machine some up for me.

I've seen many of these done really well here. Many hard acts to follow.

Hope you like. Comments, criticism, sarcasm, all welcome here.

Thanks,

Chris

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

I think its a fantastic job your doin there, weathering looks great too, im not a BSG person but i do love the old Viper, there are always many hard acts to follow lol, but i reckon youve done her justice.......lee

3. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

She looks great. Man, I love to see people building this one up. Congrats...a fine job.

4. Sci Fi Smoker

Sci Fi Smoker New Member

I like it. :thumbsup

What was wrong with the cannons?

5. Chrima

Chrima New Member

Nothing really I suppose. They look pretty accurate to what pics I have seen of the original filming miniatures. Which are just not real sharp and not real straight.

I tend to go for a more optimized version than the "Exact Copy" versions. Just my personal preference.

Thanks,

Chris

6. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Very nice work. but yeah -- you're missing the guns.

7. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Like here...

8. tk882

tk882 New Member

Very very nice. Thanks for sharing your work.

9. Corellianexports

Corellianexports Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:eek Just amazing.

Great, great work.

This is another model I wouldn't constructing.....one of the years. :p

10. REL

REL Sr Member

Looks great. :thumbsup

11. DarkLordSalvo

DarkLordSalvo Well-Known Member

You might want to make the pilots shoulders a darker brown than the rest of the jacket. Other than that...Awesome.

12. gjustis

gjustis Well-Known Member

Beautiful....two thumbs up from this guy. :thumbsup

13. BlueSquad2001

BlueSquad2001 Well-Known Member

Great model work. I love it. Jesse's kit is bad *, and deserves to be taken seriuoly when building her up. You have done just that. B)

14. Chrima

Chrima New Member

Hah, didn't notice those were darker than the rest.

Oh well, he's already sealed in the cockpit for an eternity :)

Thanks for all the great comments.

I have the TOS Raider to start on next. Another beauty kit from Jestafarean. Hope I can do as good on this one.

Hope I can get one of those nice looking Raptor's as well :)

15. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

Intersting note on the cannons. From what I have found (pictures shared/purchased as well as a first generation casting of an original) the original cannons were total crap. Seriousley. They were integral to the wings and didn't survive the casting very well. It raises the age old argument of intent vs actual. If you believe in "intent" that remaking the guns makes all the sense, as obviousley Apogee didn't intend for them to be warped or have seams. If you believe in actual, then the guns in my kit are (actually) a bit to nice. :eek

16. Chrima

Chrima New Member

Interesting info. Thanks for sharing

Yeah, the guns in your kit are nice. I had a different viper kit prior to getting the one from you and the guns were worse off.

I am just having the tips of the guns machined. Just my personal preference. I like a balance between "intent" and "actual".

I'll post pics when they are done.

17. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

I'd love to see them. One of my projects (for someday) is to remake the guns from scratch to match how I believe apogee intended them to look. I'd love to see how yours come out.

Cheers

Jesse

18. Chrima

Chrima New Member

Here is a pic of the machined guns. I'll use the middle section from the original castings. I'll have to add the detail to the rear of the cannons.

[​IMG]

19. Mycroft Holmes

Mycroft Holmes Well-Known Member

Jesus. It looks nice but, all you needed to do was buy two F4 Phantoms by Revell for the nose gear strut and one Leopold for the back piece that has the dome and you would almost have all the parts.

Looks nice.

Mark

20. Chrima

Chrima New Member

Well sheesh. where were you a couple weeks ago when I posted this? :lol

Didn't think about tracking down the original parts. I traded some stuff to get these made, so they didn't really cost me anything.

21. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

The last chunk of cannon is not cannon...but sprue. If you look at the pics on the CD youll see the original gun flares at the end of the barrell. The extension past that on my gun is simply resin sprue you need to saw. Sorry, I guess I need to update the instructions. I would grind off the end of your gun...otherwise it looks very nice. Can't wait to see it done.

22. Chrima

Chrima New Member

Oh, I am doing the version that had the flash hiders mounted to the end of their cannons. This was a rarely seen version. Um.. yes, only the elite ships had these. If you look carefully in the episode titled "ehehgremble" you can see them in the background. :confused

Yes, a very rare version. Only true highly knowledgeable modelers like myself are aware of these versions.

23. Mycroft Holmes

Mycroft Holmes Well-Known Member

Sorry for not posting sooner. I've had some pressing issues at home and abroad and I haven't been home much. I have a back log of calls that will take a couple days to get done. PM me. I may still have the mold of the nose gear strut to send you a couple castings :)

I'm the guy who patterend the Cylon Raider for Jim Key who sold it to Jesse. I was going to re create the Viper as well but......................... too many irons in this boys fire for now.

Mark

24. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

LOL

Mycroft...I feel your pain on that front. Got a whole load of projects lined up for the Raider and Viper that i just need to find time to do. I think I need to schedule a time to stop casting to get to some other projects. :(

25. Less than Super Ostrich

Less than Super Ostrich Well-Known Member

Chrima... made me laugh. I definitely know that version. Very top secret. Was one of the prototype Viper cannons that put an extra little "somethin' somethin'" on the round before it left the cannon.

26. GoldCylon1

GoldCylon1 Well-Known Member

I just posted some Apogee photo's, the makers of the models, and some of the props for Galactica. Maybe you can find some detailed photo's in there if you are still looking to detail out the cannon.
    Dale
    [​IMG]

27. Duck9000

Duck9000 Well-Known Member

Nice model Chrima. As a new member, I hope you excuse me if this question is..., well, stupid :confused : Where did you find this particular ship?. I really like it

28. Master Propmaker

Master Propmaker New Member

Chris, is that Viper kit from Monsters in Motion? It looks a little cleaner than theirs, so I am just curious. Also, if not, where did you get it, and at what cost, if you don't mind my asking.

29. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

I think (and I may be wrong) that this is one of my kits. I currently own the masters that Icons used for their Viper. A casting from these patterns is most likely what Monsters in Motion copied for their Viper. Since Icons owned the patterns four seperate artisans have done work cleaning them up, fixing flaws, and replacing soft details to match the original show. It's not perfect (yet) but in my opinion (and I'm biased) it's as close as you can get without spending a lot of money. :)

30. Chrima

Chrima New Member

Yep, this is Jesse's (Jestefarean) kit. I had one other viper kit prior to gettting this one. Jesse's was much better. Best available in my opinion.

I also purchased the Cylon Raider kit from him as well. Another fine piece. Not sure if he still has any of those available.

Still havn't gotten around to putting the cannons on. My wife decided it was time for me to re-model the kitchen. Finally finishing up that job. Alot of work, but worth it in the end.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

31. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(Chrima @ Jul 1 2006, 01:37 PM) [snapback]1271943[/snapback]</div>
    Somehow that's kind of funny. Your wife asked you to stop modeling... and start remodeling. :lol

32. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(temponaut @ Jul 1 2006, 04:14 AM) [snapback]1271990[/snapback]</div>
    Somehow that's kind of funny. Your wife asked you to stop modeling... and start remodeling. :lol
    [/b][/quote]

nyuck nyuck nyuck.

(thanks for the kind words Chrima. )