Studio Scale Viper Photos

Chrima

Howdy,

Been doing models for a while, been doing props for a while. So finally decided to get into the Studio Scale arena.

I picked up several kits last year. Finally getting time to start on some of these.

I felt the original series Viper would be a good starting point. This kit is one from Jestefarean. I left off the guns for now. A friend is going to try and machine some up for me.

I've seen many of these done really well here. Many hard acts to follow.

Hope you like. Comments, criticism, sarcasm, all welcome here.

Thanks,

Chris

viper_1.jpg

viper_2.jpg

viper_3.jpg

viper_4.jpg

viper_5.jpg

Originally posted by Chrima@Mar 17 2006, 07:06 AM
Howdy,

Been doing models for a while, been doing props for a while. So finally decided to get into the Studio Scale arena.

I picked up several kits last year. Finally getting time to start on some of these.

I felt the original series Viper would be a good starting point. This kit is one from Jestefarean. I left off the guns for now. A friend is going to try and machine some up for me. 

I've seen many of these done really well here. Many hard acts to follow.

Hope you like. Comments, criticism, sarcasm, all welcome here.

Thanks,

Chris

viper_1.jpg

viper_2.jpg

viper_3.jpg

viper_4.jpg

viper_5.jpg

[snapback]1207561[/snapback]​
I think its a fantastic job your doin there, weathering looks great too, im not a BSG person but i do love the old Viper, there are always many hard acts to follow lol, but i reckon youve done her justice.......lee

Originally posted by Sci Fi Smoker@Mar 22 2006, 11:01 PM
I like it. :thumbsup

What was wrong with the cannons?
[snapback]1211291[/snapback]​

Nothing really I suppose. They look pretty accurate to what pics I have seen of the original filming miniatures. Which are just not real sharp and not real straight.

I tend to go for a more optimized version than the "Exact Copy" versions. Just my personal preference.

Thanks,

Chris

Originally posted by Chrima+Mar 24 2006, 05:58 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chrima @ Mar 24 2006, 05:58 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Sci Fi Smoker
@Mar 22 2006, 11:01 PM
I like it. :thumbsup

What was wrong with the cannons?
[snapback]1211291[/snapback]​

Nothing really I suppose. They look pretty accurate to what pics I have seen of the original filming miniatures. Which are just not real sharp and not real straight.

I tend to go for a more optimized version than the "Exact Copy" versions. Just my personal preference.

Thanks,

Chris
[snapback]1212200[/snapback]​
[/b]

Very nice work. but yeah -- you're missing the guns.

Originally posted by DarkLordSalvo@Mar 31 2006, 09:25 PM
You might want to make the pilots shoulders a darker brown than the rest of the jacket.  Other than that...Awesome.
[snapback]1217021[/snapback]​

Hah, didn't notice those were darker than the rest.

Oh well, he's already sealed in the cockpit for an eternity :)

Thanks for all the great comments.

I have the TOS Raider to start on next. Another beauty kit from Jestafarean. Hope I can do as good on this one.

Hope I can get one of those nice looking Raptor's as well :)

Intersting note on the cannons. From what I have found (pictures shared/purchased as well as a first generation casting of an original) the original cannons were total crap. Seriousley. They were integral to the wings and didn't survive the casting very well. It raises the age old argument of intent vs actual. If you believe in "intent" that remaking the guns makes all the sense, as obviousley Apogee didn't intend for them to be warped or have seams. If you believe in actual, then the guns in my kit are (actually) a bit to nice. :eek

Originally posted by Jestefarean@Apr 4 2006, 02:50 PM
Intersting note on the cannons.  From what I have found (pictures shared/purchased as well as a first generation casting of an original) the original cannons were total crap.  Seriousley.  They were integral to the wings and didn't survive the casting very well.  It raises the age old argument of intent vs actual.  If you believe in "intent" that remaking the guns makes all the sense, as obviousley Apogee didn't intend for them to be warped or have seams.  If you believe in actual, then the guns in my kit are (actually) a bit to nice.    :eek
[snapback]1219629[/snapback]​

Interesting info. Thanks for sharing

Yeah, the guns in your kit are nice. I had a different viper kit prior to getting the one from you and the guns were worse off.

I am just having the tips of the guns machined. Just my personal preference. I like a balance between "intent" and "actual".

I'll post pics when they are done.

I'd love to see them. One of my projects (for someday) is to remake the guns from scratch to match how I believe apogee intended them to look. I'd love to see how yours come out.

Cheers

Jesse

Originally posted by Jestefarean@Apr 4 2006, 05:52 PM
I'd love to see them.  One of my projects (for someday) is to remake the guns from scratch to match how I believe apogee intended them to look.  I'd love to see how yours come out.

Cheers

Jesse
[snapback]1219748[/snapback]​

Here is a pic of the machined guns. I'll use the middle section from the original castings. I'll have to add the detail to the rear of the cannons.

ViperCannon2.jpg

*****. It looks nice but, all you needed to do was buy two F4 Phantoms by Revell for the nose gear strut and one Leopold for the back piece that has the dome and you would almost have all the parts.

Looks nice.

Mark

Originally posted by Mycroft Holmes@Apr 10 2006, 06:58 AM
*****. It looks nice but, all you needed to do was buy two F4 Phantoms by Revell for the nose gear strut  and one Leopold for the back piece that has the dome and you would almost have all the parts.

Looks nice.

Mark
[snapback]1223505[/snapback]​

Well sheesh. where were you a couple weeks ago when I posted this? :lol

Didn't think about tracking down the original parts. I traded some stuff to get these made, so they didn't really cost me anything.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back