Studio Scale Time Lord Space Station (Doctor Who 1986)

There's been a bit of progress since the last update, it's still slow going, but I have identified a few more kits and am currently trying to purchase them.

However, I have had a bit of luck with one important element. (Forgive the crappy phone camera photograph.)

Panel washing.jpg

Cast from the BBC mould, many years ago - so this should help the project on a bit.

Currently it's covered in a fair amount of filth, so I've been out in the freezing cold garden, giving it a bit of a wash down. I have five more to go, so I think I'll leave it until the warmer months.

Mind you, I'll probably clean up the nicest one (with the least filth on it) and then mould it up to cast out 6 new ones.

So, that's me sorted for the main hull then. Result!

o_Oo_OGee-whiz mate!! What a lucky bloke you are; getting the original from the Beeb:cool::cool: That'll cut your work by...half:p
Cheers, it will ease the load incredibly, though it's just a cast from their moulds - but it's as close to the original that I'll ever get. I was worrying before about the size of this, now that it's here, the worry grows even more. I need to find somewhere to make this as it really won't fit in my "workshop" space.

Cheers, it will ease the load incredibly, though it's just a cast from their moulds - but it's as close to the original that I'll ever get. I was worrying before about the size of this, now that it's here, the worry grows even more. I need to find somewhere to make this as it really won't fit in my "workshop" space.
Same here, the Missus was horrified when she learned that my 2001 Space Station had to be 7' in circumference :lol: Studio Scale is great (for us) but, in terms of space, can be challenging; during construction and after construction:p

Same here, the Missus was horrified when she learned that my 2001 Space Station had to be 7' in circumference :lol: Studio Scale is great (for us) but, in terms of space, can be challenging; during construction and after construction:p
This one won't be as wide as your station, it's a little under that at 6' - still, that's quite big for a model being made in your home, rather than a studio workshop. The "stupid" things we do, eh? But it's all part of the fun, right? At least that's what I like to tell myself.

As a classic Doctor Who fan, it's great to see a Studio Scale replica of anything form the show!! It's also nice to see something that's not a tie fighter or x-wing... Love this project. And it is so awesome that you got some original casts to work from!!

As a classic Doctor Who fan, it's great to see a Studio Scale replica of anything form the show!! It's also nice to see something that's not a tie fighter or x-wing... Love this project. And it is so awesome that you got some original casts to work from!!
I guess it's something a little different for these parts. It's been a project that I've been working towards for many years now and it's great that finally I have something tangible to work on, though right now, there's a lull in the proceedings as it's just too cold to work on it and I've spent rather a lot of money on it. I'm still picking at the details and ordering kits, but I'll be back on it full time in the new year.

Thanks for looking.

I recreate Red Dwarf stuff when I can, pretty much always CG though (like my profile pic) but I always want to know what stuff actually is so I can get better reference and if it's any help, in some BTS stuff at BBC VFX they had a few kits out - seeing as it's a lot of the same people in the same building at roughly the same time, maybe there's some shared parts.

What I could read

Tamiya M2A2
Xabungle Ottrich type
Xabungle Caprico type
Zetaplus C1 (maybe said Xabungle too but not clear)

The Ottrich type has already been spotted in the thread so maybe they were the kits they liked - it was used on the SSS Esperanto in Red Dwarf, also the AT-AT necks were used on the Blue Midget and Ace Rimmer's dimension jump ship.

Last edited:
I recreate Red Dwarf stuff when I can, pretty much always CG though (like my profile pic) but I always want to know what stuff actually is so I can get better reference and if it's any help, in some BTS stuff at BBC VFX they had a few kits out - seeing as it's a lot of the same people in the same building at roughly the same time, maybe there's some shared parts.

What I could read

Tamiya M2A2
Xabungle Ottrich type
Xabungle Caprico type
Zetaplus C1 (maybe said Xabungle too but not clear)

The Ottrich type has already been spotted in the thread so maybe they were the kits they liked - it was used on the SSS Esperanto in Red Dwarf, also the AT-AT necks were used on the Blue Midget and Ace Rimmer's dimension jump ship.
Thanks for your input. I've been looking at the kit boxes in the background and confirmed what was used on this model, but right now things have slowed down a bit as I'm waiting on some parts (kits) to arrive. Unfortunately there's been a bit of a delay that simply can't be helped.

Looking at your profile picture, I did have plans to make that myself as I have most of the parts, but I just haven't get to it yet. One day I will.

Thanks for your input. I've been looking at the kit boxes in the background and confirmed what was used on this model, but right now things have slowed down a bit as I'm waiting on some parts (kits) to arrive. Unfortunately there's been a bit of a delay that simply can't be helped.

Looking at your profile picture, I did have plans to make that myself as I have most of the parts, but I just haven't get to it yet. One day I will.

I love the Ore Sample Pod, probably on screen for less than a minute over the episodes it's in but such a distinctive design from Mike Tucker - love all the work of BBC VFX, so always good to see some of their work being recreated.

Not to derail with Red Dwarf, but would love to make a Starbug some day, when I've the room to display it, but if I had the space I'd have a crack at making all of them haha - so far only managed a Lightbee and a couple of Baby Skutters.

I love the Ore Sample Pod, probably on screen for less than a minute over the episodes it's in but such a distinctive design from Mike Tucker - love all the work of BBC VFX, so always good to see some of their work being recreated.

Not to derail with Red Dwarf, but would love to make a Starbug some day, when I've the room to display it, but if I had the space I'd have a crack at making all of them haha - so far only managed a Lightbee and a couple of Baby Skutters.
If I had the space, I'd make my own design of Red Dwarf itself as I never really liked what ended up on screen. The idea was fine, the execution (to my mind) less so. The current version looks like a cruise ship and not something that's supposed to be industrial.

Starbug would be nice, as would a scutter - but as with all these things though, it's the space to store them. Shame because I've had access to a lot of the originals over the years.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back