Studio Scale (:p) AT-AT

Thanks guys nothing "incroyable" or awesome, I think the pics are very forgiving ! :)

A new part (the last major one)

The front harrier is rotocasted too.

The rotocasted parts is just a tad heavier than the original styrene parts.

Looks gorgeous!

I've been insanely busy lately, but found a little time to redo the body parts.. a lot happier now. The profile is tricky to nail because, like Quincy once said photographing these areas is like crawling under a dog (loved the analogy, and wouldn't want to try). Without a clear ortho of the curve profiles of the body walls it's a lot of guesswork, aided only by putting the measurements and features of a Saturn 5 can in Rhino and seeing how the profile lines up to the features and kit parts on the can.

A couple more tweaks and Julien should have a nice metal armature to fit his part assemblies to, which will be nice. Me having more free time to work on this, instead of keeping our machinist waiting would be even better ;)

The copper-colored part is one of 4 washers that the hip collars will sit on for less friction, also serving to raise the hip shaft collars just high enough past the cast resin belly plate so the hex screws can be adjusted with an allen wrench. The reference seems to indicate when the AT-ATs were first made, the forward neck collar was actually meant to attach to the front of the body armature from the inside, not the outside as seen in Duncanator's pics when he and Martin replaced the neck (I'm sure it was already mounted the incorrect way when they took the neck off). Mounting the neck armature like that extends the overall length and creates gaps between the body and ribbed neck, as well as the neck and head.

Always feel like I post the boring updates..

arma_n.jpg

Last edited:
It is so cool to watch all these parts getting assembled into one of the most iconic sci-fi vehicles ever.

Thanks guys !

Looks gorgeous!

I've been insanely busy lately, but found a little time to redo the body parts.. a lot happier now. The profile is tricky to nail because, like Quincy once said photographing these areas is like crawling under a dog (loved the analogy, and wouldn't want to try). Without a clear ortho of the curve profiles of the body walls it's a lot of guesswork, aided only by putting the measurements and features of a Saturn 5 can in Rhino and seeing how the profile lines up to the features and kit parts on the can.

A couple more tweaks and Julien should have a nice metal armature to fit his part assemblies to, which will be nice. Me having more free time to work on this, instead of keeping our machinist waiting would be even better ;)

The copper-colored part is one of 4 washers that the hip collars will sit on for less friction, also serving to raise the hip shaft collars just high enough past the cast resin belly plate so the hex screws can be adjusted with an allen wrench. The reference seems to indicate when the AT-ATs were first made, the forward neck collar was actually meant to attach to the front of the body armature from the inside, not the outside as seen in Duncanator's pics when he and Martin replaced the neck (I'm sure it was already mounted the incorrect way when they took the neck off). Mounting the neck armature like that extends the overall length and creates gaps between the body and ribbed neck, as well as the neck and head.

View attachment 339999

Matt, you and Felix will have the most exciting updates now ! Your 3D parts are spot-on, cant wait to see them turning into alloy :D

Thank you so much for all the hard work you've done so far to recreate the most accurate AT-AT ever done, you've captured every detail, it's incredible.

Matt has spent hundred (thousand ?) of hours working on each separate part, and there are quite a few, guys, you'll be impressed once you see the result and Felix's impressive machining skills will turn this armature into gold !

Looks gorgeous!

View attachment 339999

The most interesting of the AT-AT to me,the armature! I believe the effort of you guys have putting on this will turns out the most accurate AT-AT replica.
Seriously no doubt of you and Julien's works on the walkers,awesome:thumbsup

Don

Thanks, Don! I hope it'll be the most accurate one ever done. I'm worried about it animating smoothly.. thanks to some info (teflon tape, tolerances/material choices) it should turn out alright.

J, you've pulled the most weight to get all the parts to such a high level with the most time invested. I'm just a button pusher/mouse clicker :)
But I appreciate the undeserved praise :)

Really looking forward to getting 4 hrs/day to work on this again very soon... it should all go together fast knowing how quick Felix churns out parts.

Last edited:
The stunning work from both of you continues! As a reward, in case any of you haven't already seen this, I give you:

It's the entire roll of Super-8 time-lapse footage of Phil Tippett, Jon Berg and Doug Beswick animating the Walkers! Posted by Joe Johnston.

Last edited by a moderator:
New underbelly pics are awesome Julien, so much work there in ID's alone, folk just dont see how many hours IDing can drag you away from normal life, superb showing mate!

Lee

Thanks guys ! :)

Yeah the ID job was not that easy and we're happy to get most of the parts !

The stunning work from both of you continues! As a reward, in case any of you haven't already seen this, I give you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7AuihUEssY

It's the entire roll of Super-8 time-lapse footage of Phil Tippett, Jon Berg and Doug Beswick animating the Walkers! Posted by Joe Johnston.

Yeah I saw that thanks David ! That's very inspiring ! :D

That was very brave of you! I'd be afraid of doing something stupid and damaging the head. You're going to be VERY happy to have that photo though. Very cool.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back