Studio Scale McQuarrie Concept Raider

It's like waiting for Christmas... You can't speed modeling updates up - but when you follow the story.... it's... well... exciting.

Thanks for the feedback everyone !!!!

I just need a couple of kit parts to finish this off. I'm itching to start painting it up. There's two empty spots on the bottom side just forward of the engines. I want to use the grille from the Centurion kit (used on the top side of the studio raider) to fill in this detail.

-Doug

Thanks guys. Finally an update on this one.....

I got two copies of the Centurion grille cast up using the bathtub caulk molding method. I wasn't sure I could pull off a part this big but it seemed to work out pretty good. I'll need to get some real casting equipment eventually.

I'm pretty happy about how the grille looks with the rest of the ship. Now I'm looking forward to getting some color on this one.

ConceptRaider-81.JPG

ConceptRaider-82.JPG

ConceptRaider-83.JPG

ConceptRaider-84.JPG

Touched up the primer on the top side and it's ready for paint as soon as the primer cures solid.

-Doug

ConceptRaider-85.JPG

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Finally an update on this.....

A little snaffu in the paint dept put a little delay in this but I finally have the body color on now. It's looking totally different than with the dark green primer. I'm really pleased with how it's coming along. The second of the two McQuarrie sketches in my first post has the note "off white over all" on it. In keeping with this I've use a very light grey for the body color, Insignia White to be exact.

Thanks for looking, guys.

ConceptRaider-86.JPG

ConceptRaider-87.JPG

ConceptRaider-88.JPG

ConceptRaider-89.JPG

ConceptRaider-90.JPG

ConceptRaider-91.JPG

ConceptRaider-92.JPG

ConceptRaider-93.JPG

ConceptRaider-94.JPG

ConceptRaider-95.JPG

ConceptRaider-96.JPG

Thanks for all the feed back on this, guys. I really appreciate it.

This installment is titled "The GOOD, the BAD, and the UGLY"

First the good.
The painting of the greys is going pretty good. There's a couple of minor spots of bleed through but all in all not bad. I may need to touch up the paint on the top in a spot or two.

ConceptRaider-99.JPG

ConceptRaider-100.JPG

ConceptRaider-102.JPG

Now the bad.
Some stress cracks appeared on the bottom side around the gun barrels. I thought I had this fixed before but they came back and were visible after the masking came off. The problem is that the barrels cut through not only the surface of the body but also the ribs underneath. This makes it a weak spot and when the body flexes just a bit it pulls apart along the seam. The cracks are as thin as hairs but with so light a color, and with the minimal weathering I want to do, these will be visible so I decided to try to fix them.

ConceptRaider-97.JPG

And the ugly...
To fix these cracks I dremeled them out and filled the gap with epoxy putty. It's a little drastic at this point with the finish paint on but i figure it's easier to fix now before weathering. Hopefully the epoxy will hold the sides together enough to prevent further cracking. My fear, of course, is that new cracks will appear in new spots now but I'm hoping with some really gentle handling it can be avoided. We'll see....
Now I'll have to mask off the front area and repaint, hopefully for the last time.
ConceptRaider-98.JPG

Here's the overall of the bottom side and how I layed out the grey colors there.
ConceptRaider-101.JPG

Back on track now fellas.

The fix on the bottom worked out great and the repainting is all done. Will be letting this cure for several days then clear coating in gloss to start the washes and weathering.

ConceptRaider-103.JPG

ConceptRaider-104.JPG

ConceptRaider-105.JPG

Put the center grille and the engines in for pics.
ConceptRaider-106.JPG

ConceptRaider-107.JPG

ConceptRaider-108.JPG

Thanks for looking.
-Doug

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back