Stranger Things (Netflix)

After rewatching season 3, I think the best scene is the one in El's head where Billy is telling her how she let them in and now she has to let them stay. That whole scene is just amazing to me. Music, script, everything.

I completely agree, I love what they did with his voice too

I’m just wondering if this is going to be a on going thing, every time the gate is cracked open the mindlfare comes back to life?

Looks like the Russians possibly opened it again somewhere else?

Or they transported that monsters all the way from the us back to Russia?

Just noticed, remember I was talking about the guy in the green hat leaving the movie theater?

He can be seen all over the place in the carnival as well.

And I mean almost to the point where he’s in 2 places at once that’s to the camera cuts lol

Same hat, same shirt, same pants

When hopper is right before entering the fun house the Russian is walking him down, green hat guy can be seen behind the Russian, camera cuts to hopper frantically entering the fun house, green hat guy is leaving the fun house

I’m into episode 7, and I’m no longer annoyed by Will’s whining...I’m now annoyed by Hopper’s yelling. I feel his character has been awful this season.

I really like his character this time, “keep the door open 3 inches!!!”

I re watched it, I think am at the point of expecting it

I can’t find the video, but I believe looper covered the huge continuity error in season 3

Red M&M’s

In the hospital El, mind bumps the vending machine and the kids all eat snacks. mike shares M&Ms with El and bumps them in her hand. You can see a few RED ones

In 1976 the mars company removed the red M&M’s because of the fear of red dye # 2 & #4 linking to cancer... I googled and come to find out mars company didn’t even use this due for red M&M’s but feared the sales would drop because they had red ones

So they changed out red and added orange

I completely agree, I love what they did with his voice too

I’m just wondering if this is going to be a on going thing, every time the gate is cracked open the mindlfare comes back to life?

Looks like the Russians possibly opened it again somewhere else?

Or they transported that monsters all the way from the us back to Russia?

Actually, Alexi pointed out that the reason that they built the key underground in Hawkins was to take advantage of the previous gate's opening, which was still healing, because opening the gate anywhere else wouldn't be stable enough (as we saw in the opening of the first episode). Seeing that Erica spotted a very tall cage and asked Dustin how tall the Demagorgan was, it's safe to say the final question you asked is more than likely how they got it. They opened the gate for a short time, captured it and shipped it out to Russia.

Actually, Alexi pointed out that the reason that they built the key underground in Hawkins was to take advantage of the previous gate's opening, which was still healing, because opening the gate anywhere else wouldn't be stable enough (as we saw in the opening of the first episode). Seeing that Erica spotted a very tall cage and asked Dustin how tall the Demagorgan was, it's safe to say the final question you asked is more than likely how they got it. They opened the gate for a short time, captured it and shipped it out to Russia.

Watching the Series again for the 3rd time. I’ve realized the mall isn’t built on top of the old Hawkins labs...

Totally forgot about them going to the old lab and finding the terminator there

I thought the lab was torn down and the mall built on top

This explains the long tunnel of death the kids had to travel down

By far my favorite part through out the season is the wood pecker laugh lol

Watching the Series again for the 3rd time. I’ve realized the mall isn’t built on top of the old Hawkins labs...

Totally forgot about them going to the old lab and finding the terminator there

I thought the lab was torn down and the mall built on top

This explains the long tunnel of death the kids had to travel down

By far my favorite part through out the season is the wood pecker laugh lol

That's right. That long tunnel goes all the way to under the Hawkins Lab building (and they patched into the security cameras in addition to have themselves placed under where the gate had been).

OK.

So I've been avoiding this thread like the plague until tonight because I didn't want to be spoiled. Me and my wife have been very much looking forward to this new season and we waited a few extra days after it's release so that we could watch it with her sister when we went for a few days on vacation to a lake house. We went to the same place last summer and showed her the first season because she hadn't seen it and the atmosphere there at night was the perfect setting to show her. She loved it.

So we wanted to stick with the tradition. We really liked the second season minus a few nit picks but overall it was great. As for season 3 we were super excited and the trailers looked amazing. So when we went to watch it felt kind of.... off. Not bad, but something was different.

A couple of first impressions now that we finished the season tonight.

One thing we didn't do this time around is watch the opening title credits with that Tangerine Dream esque music to lead us into the names of the episodes. I personally missed watching this as we previously watched them for every episode of seasons 1 and 2. I have a soft spot for electronic music, synthesizers and my favorite band of all time is Depeche Mode, so the theme music to me is just killer! Love, love, love it!

That minor change aside I think I was thrown off a bit by the tone. We spend a lot of time setting up how the kids are growing up. Becoming teenagers and beginning to explore their identities outside of the group. Having it set in summer helped sell it better but I think seeing them all split up (plus not being in their school atmosphere) changed the feel. Plus for the first time we actually see what their normal lives are like when crazy **** isn't happening all around them. Which for what we know of these characters is gonna feel weird. Since it took a while for the Upside Down to come back into play with their lives it felt slow to start.

Tonally it also felt more like some parodying going on with the 1980's which was kind of annoying. Part of my love for the first two seasons was that they played it very straight and the references didn't call too much attention to themselves. This season they broke that rule in a few places and I hope they get that under control for the remainder of the show. Most of them I didn't mind but again, they have to keep it more subtle for it to work like it did before.

These are just typed up as I think of them and in no particular order. I'm just trying to unpack it all.

So Hopper was over the top in a lot of places. They mention he's kind of dealing with PTSD and him missing spending time with El, but they could have shown those things better in my opinion. His letter at the end was PERFECT though and the look he gives Joyce before she turns the key was just stellar! Hopper isn't dead. We know he will come back, though that emotional pull was definitely sincere. I had a harder time watching the kids say goodbye to one another as the Byers and El moved.

They only had a handful of scenes in the Upside Down and I missed that this season.

I loved Murray's character. That moment with the Russian guard inside the bunker made me laugh out loud.

Billy was very, very good in this season and I felt he was a more imposing threat in his performance than the Mind flayer was, though the last episode was right up there with the best of the series and closed it out on a high note. The only thing is that with Billy- why did he wait for the kids and not go into the mall after them right away? Plus the Mindflayer conveniently waits around for the kids at times too which threw me off.

I really loved Will struggling with his friends being able to move on with their lives where he just wanted the chance to remain a kid and make up for lost time. Seeing those flashbacks with them from the first two seasons really hit me hard.

I hope they close the series out in no more than 5 seasons total and keep the story within the 1980's. I'd rather it be shorter and stronger than drag it out and ruin what made it special.

Overall I liked it. I didn't like it as much as I'd hoped and I did take more issue with certain things but the ending totally made up for it and I look forward to seeing the next season.

Tonally it also felt more like some parodying going on with the 1980's which was kind of annoying. Part of my love for the first two seasons was that they played it very straight and the references didn't call too much attention to themselves. This season they broke that rule in a few places and I hope they get that under control for the remainder of the show. Most of them I didn't mind but again, they have to keep it more subtle for it to work like it did before.

I think you just hit the nail on the head for me with this statement.

I’ve been trying to figure out why I haven’t enjoyed this season as much as I had hoped, and you got it...much of this season feels like a weird parody of 80s “stuff” to me.

Where the first two seasons felt nostalgic, throw back, whatever you want to call it...lots of things in this season just seemed downright silly.

Russians building a giant base under a mall? Silly.

Said Russians being bumbling baffoons when it comes to guarding said base? Silly.

The design and aesthetic of that base? Silly.

A soldier that’s clearly meant to be a Terminator reference? Silly.

A weirdly out of place monologue about how awesome New Coke is? Silly.

Like, I don’t believe for a minute that the Russians wouldn’t have just shot the kids on sight when they were in the bunker. If they didn’t, they’d have certainly killed Steve and Robin once they realized they weren’t any kind of spies. They also certainly wouldn’t have let Dustin and Erica free them. And lastly, even if they did, they certainly would have disabled the elevator so they couldn’t escape.

I also just rolled my eyes when they were all in the cabin and see that Mindflayer Goo Monster is coming...

“Hey guys, we literally just saw that thing ripping trees out of the ground...but this couch in front of this door will keep it out of this rickety cabin. Oh, and even though Jonathan and Nancy saw Goo Monster turn back into goo to slide under a door, I’m sure that was only because the hospital’s floors were freshly waxed.”

Just groan worthy.

I also think the whole “they’re eating fertilizer” thing was just...awful. I’d have rather seen them do something where whatever bit of the Mindflayer was left, or whatever bit made it through when the gate was opened a little, got into the town’s water supply...or something. Really, anything other than eating and drinking chemicals would have been better.

I still enjoyed it, for the most part, because I like the characters...but I definitely feel like this season took a HUGE step backwards for me in the realm of storytelling. So much of it was just...I don’t know, dumb?

Being born in 1981 I enjoyed the references that weren't even references (in a sense) from the first two seasons because they were just period details. Like the ruffle collared shirt that Barb wore in her first scene in the show. I remember my older cousins wearing things like that. I also remember wallpaper like the kind in Nancy's room, back when wall paper was popular. We had wood paneling in my house growing up, just like in the Byer house. The stereos systems, the cars, the arcades and video stores, just all those details that the characters took for granted because they were just part of everyday life and they never drew the audience's attention away from the story to wink at them and say, "Hey! Remember the 80's?" Yeah. I remember because I lived it. Just tell the story. Stop trying to pat yourselves on the back.

While I love the Wedding Singer (as corny as it is) aside from being a romantic comedy it's a total send up of the era. I don't want that from Stranger Things. I want a story about these characters who I really love. The whole shopping spree with Max and El was cute and a way for them to establish them bonding, but there were moments in it that felt cheap to me. It's a nit pick I know, but there were a lot of moments like that this season that I could have done without.

Plus I was hoping for more scenarios that would keep the characters as outsiders (something perhaps harder to do with them not being in school.) One of the reasons I am endeared to them is because they don't fit in with the rest of the kids at their school and back then being a geek, nerd, or even smart, wasn't fashionable, but a reason to get bullied. If you were one of those kids, you were either picked on or invisible. I get that this season was trying to establish that the reality of growing up can be just as trying as the crazy things that happen around them, but they missed the opportunity to really have the Upside Down be a mirror that reflected the difficulties of losing your innocence from childhood to adolescence to adulthood. I want more Strange Things in my Stranger Things!

Again I liked it overall, but as long as they reign it in with the references and keep the focus on the characters and building the world of the Upside Down I'm all in!

I thought you didn’t like this season?

Why are you watching 8 episodes of a season you didn’t like for the third time in less than two weeks? :)

I’m forcing myself to like this.. seriously my friends in real life have said the same thing

I’ll watch it non stop until it’s Brain washed in

There are some beautiful scenes

The camera panning out when Dustin is singing

The mist when the helicopters fly by

I just seriously love the 80s

I think you just hit the nail on the head for me with this statement.

I’ve been trying to figure out why I haven’t enjoyed this season as much as I had hoped, and you got it...much of this season feels like a weird parody of 80s “stuff” to me.

Where the first two seasons felt nostalgic, throw back, whatever you want to call it...lots of things in this season just seemed downright silly.

Russians building a giant base under a mall? Silly.

Said Russians being bumbling baffoons when it comes to guarding said base? Silly.

The design and aesthetic of that base? Silly.

A soldier that’s clearly meant to be a Terminator reference? Silly.

A weirdly out of place monologue about how awesome New Coke is? Silly.

Like, I don’t believe for a minute that the Russians wouldn’t have just shot the kids on sight when they were in the bunker. If they didn’t, they’d have certainly killed Steve and Robin once they realized they weren’t any kind of spies. They also certainly wouldn’t have let Dustin and Erica free them. And lastly, even if they did, they certainly would have disabled the elevator so they couldn’t escape.

I also just rolled my eyes when they were all in the cabin and see that Mindflayer Goo Monster is coming...

“Hey guys, we literally just saw that thing ripping trees out of the ground...but this couch in front of this door will keep it out of this rickety cabin. Oh, and even though Jonathan and Nancy saw Goo Monster turn back into goo to slide under a door, I’m sure that was only because the hospital’s floors were freshly waxed.”

Just groan worthy.

I also think the whole “they’re eating fertilizer” thing was just...awful. I’d have rather seen them do something where whatever bit of the Mindflayer was left, or whatever bit made it through when the gate was opened a little, got into the town’s water supply...or something. Really, anything other than eating and drinking chemicals would have been better.

I still enjoyed it, for the most part, because I like the characters...but I definitely feel like this season took a HUGE step backwards for me in the realm of storytelling. So much of it was just...I don’t know, dumb?

I’m on the same page as you, I’m kinda excepting the underground base..

Wish it didn’t look like doctor evils lair.. but the Russians being in America in their military cloths drives me nuts and makes it so hard for me to believe

How the heck could they build something of this magnitude with out being detected.. I know I know they used the mall construction as cover up..

But the giant “laser” (dr evil quote right there) was very far away. Possibly the other side of the wall in the hawkings lab...

I can’t believe pulling that off in real life

Then again I talk about believing, when we are dealing with a super kinetic teenager, and a soupy monster made out of peoples guts lol

I do enjoy talking about this show still, the actors all did an amazing job!

Hope season 4 is back to the feel of the pervious seasons

And hope to see interviews with the duffers explaining more of this season and how they feel

No news on them doing a interview like they did for season 2? I really enjoyed that

Personally, I don't think Hopper is dead. He's in Russia.

I was starting to think I was the only one. I mean, 'no, not the american'....who else could it be a reference to?

The russians were able to get EVERYONE out of the base through the apparent single elevator before the troops showed up - including a demi-gorgon it would appear. I agree with someone else that I figured Hopper tried to jump into the beam kinda like tron figuring the upside down was better than dead. Then the prison scene at the tail end is a 'somehow the got him' bit. They showed russians much farther away from the machine that hopper getting blown to bits (literally), yet the structure where he was standing looked no worse for wear. I think if it blows bodies to bits, that it'd shred a couple handrails and grating as well.

Then you have the TV/Movie trope - no body, no death.

Just saw this interesting

I too noticed cigarettes everywhere this season. But that was a part of the 80s

I’ve never smoked, never had any interest in even trying. But I remember back when I was a kid and going into restaurants and being asked “smoking or non”

It was just a part of the times

I can’t agree that more people smoke today then they did when I was in school

Quick example, I was remodeling a house behind my old highway. I graduated in 2002, when I went to school we had the smokers corner across the street because you can’t smoke on school grounds

The teachers would stand on one end of the block and the other end would be filled with kids smoking

While I was working there last year I couldn’t believe how small the group of smokers were.. maybe 8-10 kids. When I was in school honest to god it had to be 40 kids

And not a single teacher in sight smoking

I do find it interesting that Netflix is gonna put the pitch on all shows with smoking

I was starting to think I was the only one. I mean, 'no, not the american'....who else could it be a reference to?

The russians were able to get EVERYONE out of the base through the apparent single elevator before the troops showed up - including a demi-gorgon it would appear. I agree with someone else that I figured Hopper tried to jump into the beam kinda like tron figuring the upside down was better than dead. Then the prison scene at the tail end is a 'somehow the got him' bit. They showed russians much farther away from the machine that hopper getting blown to bits (literally), yet the structure where he was standing looked no worse for wear. I think if it blows bodies to bits, that it'd shred a couple handrails and grating as well.

Then you have the TV/Movie trope - no body, no death.

I watched a good video of a guy saying there wasn’t a pile of human mush left behind of hopper.

In the beginning of the season when the laser blows up it melts all the scientists.

I like the theory that it isn’t hopper in the jail cell, and that it’s Dr Brenner.

Hopper is now stuck in the upside down, while he’s not smoking anymore and living like a cave man, killing demogorgons by his bare hands!!

he’s become jacked (thanks to hellboy) a year goes by and El gets her powers back and tries to find him

She located him in the upside down, and the whole team assembles to go back in and get him

Dr Brenner in the Russian cell would also explain how fast the Russians got the technology to open the gate, and possibly how they figured out the laser would only work at the source.

How did the Russians ever find out the original source of the gate? Possibly twisting Dr Brenners arm?

Is Dr Brenner related to the Russians some way, and back stabbed them? Running to back to America to experiment with the gate before the Russians figured it out?

Dying to know!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back