Stormtrooper Oddities

Bacta, NICE catch!

Clutch coined "mr. nostripes"

You gotta name ol toothless joe here. ;)

You mean besides the obvious "gaptooth trooper" ?

I had'nt really thought of trying to coin a phrase as I still have a hard time believing I'm the first person to notice this, especially considering those are'nt even my own screen captures. I'm not even sure what version those screen shots are taken from as I just uploaded them from an online source a few months back, can't seem to find it again unfortunately.

Does he seem to be missing a hand guard on his left hand?

If you look closely, you can see the profile of it. It's just the angle that makes it camouflaged, however directing my attention in that general area surprisingly revealed something else I had'nt noticed.

Anyone else noticed how the return edge on this trooper's left shoulder bell has'nt been trimmed?

I think that's foam padding inside. I think they did that on some troopers to fill the suits if parts were too loose on the wearer I guess or even to soften the suits when they landed from a fall maybe like this scene.

Nice find on the toothless trooper too. Somebody must have been too happy with the trimming knife.

Ben

You mean besides the obvious "gaptooth trooper" ?

I had'nt really thought of trying to coin a phrase as I still have a hard time believing I'm the first person to notice this, especially considering those are'nt even my own screen captures. I'm not even sure what version those screen shots are taken from as I just uploaded them from an online source a few months back, can't seem to find it again unfortunately.

I think you should call him "Gappy."

I think that's foam padding inside. I think they did that on some troopers to fill the suits if parts were too loose on the wearer I guess or even to soften the suits when they landed from a fall maybe like this scene.

Nice find on the toothless trooper too. Somebody must have been too happy with the trimming knife.

Ben

I had'nt thought of that but it makes perfect sense, especially since that's the side the guy's falling on. I'd imagine falling on a shoulder bell with that much return edge would hurt pretty bad to say the least. I guess the padding is just flush with the bottom edge enough to make it look like its one piece instead of foam reinforced armor.

It's not really surprising that he'd have lost his front tooth on one of the takes of him falling over the ledge, especially when you look at how thin some of these teeth were trimmed.

I think you should call him "Gappy."

Haha, nice. I pretty much figure this guy has a few possible nicknames that could easily fit. I might've been the first to point this out on this thread but I figured I'd just leave the nicknames up to whoever is referencing it. This is a community after all, and I'm all about collective efforts. I would'nt have even noticed it, had someone else not taken the screen captures.

It looks more to me that the "toothless trooper" is not really missing a tooth, but that it's painted black for some reason.

Ah yes, toothless trooper seemed like another obvious choice, however did'nt really describe what this really was, as he was'nt missing all his teeth, and being toothless is more of a reference to having no teeth.

I enlarged the second image I originally posted and increased the color saturation a bit so you can see the flesh tones.
The last pic I posted did'nt really highlight that detail, which is why I did'nt initially post it.

Last edited:
If you look closely, you can see the profile of it. It's just the angle that makes it camouflaged, however directing my attention in that general area surprisingly revealed something else I had'nt noticed.

Anyone else noticed how the return edge on this trooper's left shoulder bell has'nt been trimmed?

Look how much the lower hips/pelvis area has been trimmed off. I heard these mods (eccessive trimming; mouth area etc.) were either requested by, or done by the stunt men themselves for better mobility and vision.

You guys are probably right about it being a deliberate cut. Makes sense, especially for a stunt man. Perhaps this is the real reason for the switch to an all black frown in ESB... hmm

Here's another shot of Cpt. Gappy with his overly padded shoulder bell and rubberized thigh armor.

Makes me laugh a bit over the fact that the Stormtroopers were meant to be experienced on screen as a completely uniformed group of identical space soldiers, and here were are decades later pointing out hundreds of distinct differences :)

Here's a few more shots of "Gap"tain Gappy. It's really hard to tell but the brow trim looks to be the same. What's he looking up at? Nothing, he's peeking through his gaptooth visor.:facepalm

Who's that looking all wobbledy wobbledy?

Either I'm imagining things or this is another shot of the Gapt'n.

For some reason I hear Micheal Jackson's Thriller playing in the background.

This guys seems to pop up everywhere now. Here's another shot of the Gap'tain on the left.
Note the missing belt box, overly trimmed cod piece and rubberized legs.
It seems like the legs could've been made out of the same material as the hand guards as you can see where the leg armor had creased and paint has chipped away.

Tape everywhere!

424010518107df1b696do.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back