Sticky Resin

Mootina

>.> I do not know what went wrong with the mix.... Now my item is abit sticky still. Is there a way to make it less sticky or I just have to wait for a few more days?

>.> I do not know what went wrong with the mix.... Now my item is abit sticky still. Is there a way to make it less sticky or I just have to wait for a few more days?

Sometimes you can fix this, sometimes you can't. Waiting a few days is an option. Cooking it under low heat in a stove or toaster over may help. Sometimes even after you do all that it still "sweats" in a few spots and you either dig that area out, patch it up and go from there or chuck the whole thing and start over.

Without more information, it's hard to say what's causing it.

From my own casting experience, I noticed that any time I followed the directions on adding pigment to SmoothCast 325 resin, I'd end up with a dripping, not curing mess. When I started adding the pigment after mixing Part A and Part B it came out fine. No idea if its old pigment or what, but just what works for me.

Personally, I avoid using any kind of mixing stick that's made out of wood, I have a metal stick I use and haven't had any problems with resin curing. If it's a small spot on the resin, you can always add a couple coats of superglue over it to seal it up, but if the whole casting is still tacky or dripping resin, then there's something wrong with the process.

>.< A guy told me to use heat to get it to cure faster

According to my knowledge, heating it is one way. But I think the main factor is due to the mix. Most properly u have either forgotten to add hardener or have putted too little hardener and have not mixed it well. Did u use powder in your mixture?

Most casting resins will (or should) produce heat. If the Parts A/B don't produce an exothermic reaction, they may not set properly. I learned this recently with elastomers that did not set and remained sticky.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back