Steven Spielberg's Bridge Of Spies (Post-release)

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Mike J.

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I saw this this past weekend with my Dad, and it was even better than I expected, knowing full well it was Hanks + Spielberg + real events...

If you are on the fence, absolutely go see it.

They do 'fudge' a few minor things, compressing time, adding little more drama by obscuring certain known facts, but still quite excellent.

-MJ

JoeG

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just got back from seeing it. Loved it, really great film. There was one scene where I was taken out of the story for a moment. Wasn't the film's fault. It was a scene with a bunch of press photographers and they all had medium format cameras with 2 and 3 cell flashes attached. I was looking to see if I could spot a Graflex or an MPP. :lol

MattgomeryBurns

Sr Member
Got to see this last night with a Q&A with Hanks, Spielberg, and much of Spielberg's creative team. I spotted tons of props that would make for excellent replicas. Let the hunt begin!

AJTaliesen

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Definitely a good film and well worth seeing.

Didn't think it was quite as fantastic as the critics did though. More like a good movie that will be forgotten in a year or two.

Solid story, but not the greatest script. Dialogue was bit choppy and just a means to an end. It's a checklist script...as in: we've got a list of things that need to happen so put em in, then a line or two to transition between em. No real enjoyment of the scene, unless it's something like when Tom Hanks takes the screen and rolls with it for a few minutes because he's F-ing Tom Hanks and can do that and make it awesome. Otherwise, we just move through the list of plot points...

Saved by a truly amazing cast and great director. From Hanks on down the cast is outstanding.

However, great director is also a double edged sword: lots of heavy handed scenes of "there will be no dialogue here, just BASK IN THE GLORY OF MY VISUAL SYMBOLISM!"

When a young director tries that, usually someone from the studio will come along and smack them on the nose with a rolled up newspaper and say "No!" But no one will do that with famous director, so they get left in.

BUT, the upside of that sword is: he got famous for a reason. When the movie does move forward it's believable, and well shown.

Bottom line: I actually enjoyed this. Some really great acting, and the story is good. Definitely worth seeing.

Just not quite as life changing-ly good as the 92% RT rating suggests.