Stargate ...Announcement at Comicon SD?

madmikeee

Sr Member
I read a couple of months ago that there was going to be some sort of announcement regarding the Stargate Franchise, supposedly SG-1 related, at this years SDCC. Anyone have any news on it?

:confused

Yeah, trying to keep it on people's minds without actually .. you know .. getting a wrapup to Atlantis after it landed on Earth, or (don't care if they don't) wrapping up Universe.

Yeah, trying to keep it on people's minds without actually .. you know .. getting a wrapup to Atlantis after it landed on Earth, or (don't care if they don't) wrapping up Universe.

Agreed, I care about Atlantis, I REALLY liked that show, couldn't care less about universe. Most fellow fans of the SG series are in aggreement to that as well. If Sci-Fi would step up and actually KEEP the good shows running (IE SG-Atlantis, Farscape) instead of killing them off to make HORRIBLE B movies and to pimp the WWE maybe they would be an actually good channel.

I think I'm an outlier in that I grew to LOVE Universe. The ending was OK, but it would be amazing if they actually picked it back up and continued, which they kind of set it up to do. Of all three series, I thought Atlantis was the one that had the most closure.

Atlantis wasn't all that great, IMHO. They tried to use the same formula that SG-1 used with the teams going out and exploring new worlds but c'mon... you didn't have Carter, O'Neill, Teal'C or Daniel, it didn't have that same strength. The few things that made it great were Rodney McKay (unique, strong character), the tie-ins with the Ancients and it's more Stargate!

But so many things could have been done better... what did they actually ever accomplish? Almost anything they ever achieved was destroyed or lost by the end of the episode...

Oh HEY, real, living Ancients!! Now we get to learn from them!! OH WAIT... Replicators killed them all. Whoa, a cool source of potentially unlimited power for Atlantis? Breaking apart space-time in other realities... bummer dude... WOW, an Ancient SPACESHIP?? Gets destroyed. An Ascension machine? Kills people or fails miserably. An entire colony of ascended people? They ascend without teaching them anything... it goes on and on and on.

Plus, the entire idea of the Wraith... the Ancients were among the greatest races of the Galaxy. SG-1 played them up to be just incredible with their knowledge of science and their advanced physiology allowing them pre-ascension powers... but they were beaten by a race that the humans now can stem the tide of? A race of "life-sucking" vampire aliens? Doesn't make sense.

SG-1 is one of my favorite shows of all time, don't get me wrong. But they learned... Naquadria, Naquada reactors, the X303, X302, they beat the Gould and the Replicators... Daniel ascended, O'Neill had the library of the Ancients downloaded into his mind twice.

Universe was a completely different route. TBH, it was a good sci-fi show, but not Stargate. It was more along the lines of Battlestar Galactica and all the Stargate fans weren't enthralled with it. They enticed everyone with the big "Destiny's mission" then when they revealed it... it was kinda like "oh... that's cool... I guess..."

Just my thoughts... somewhat off-topic as they may be.

I really liked the characters in Atlantis, and that's what made me keep watching. The plots were a little weak, but by the time SG-1 picked up half the cast of Farscape it was really in the toilet, so I enjoyed Atlantis a lot more. Universe I liked a lot because it was more science-y.

Yeah... when RDA and Don S. Davis left the show it did fall apart. Atlantis was entertaining, I just didn't personally think it was anywhere near as good.

I really liked the characters in Atlantis, and that's what made me keep watching. The plots were a little weak, but by the time SG-1 picked up half the cast of Farscape it was really in the toilet, so I enjoyed Atlantis a lot more. Universe I liked a lot because it was more science-y.

I actually really enjoyed Ben Browder and Claudia Black in SG1 and I REALLY thought I wouldn't.

It's not that I didn't like Browder and Black, it just got really repetitive, nonsensical, and it totally lost the whole standard-issue feel in the costume department. Suddenly each character wore a slightly different uniform, Black got her feminine jacket with the tiny patches, they replaced the vests with the awful new ones, the jackets became awkward and structured differently. They didn't feel like uniforms anymore, they were just costumes. And also RDA and Davis, liked them a lot. Did not like Beau Bridges' character at all.

I think I'm an outlier in that I grew to LOVE Universe. The ending was OK, but it would be amazing if they actually picked it back up and continued, which they kind of set it up to do. Of all three series, I thought Atlantis was the one that had the most closure.

I grew to LIKE SGU, also. I was disappointed in the beginning, but after I quit looking at it as a Stargate show and started viewing it as a Sci-fi Space type show, I started getting into it.

Atlantis was the best, in my honest opinion. SG1 was great too, but I think what put Atlantis on top for me was that they actually used more...way more... alien technology than SG1 ever did. Shepard and MacKay were great too.

I actually really enjoyed Ben Browder and Claudia Black in SG1 and I REALLY thought I wouldn't.

I would have to say that I wasn't that thrilled when Ben and Claudia came to the show. Partially, I guess, because I was such a Farscape fan and I had trouble assimulating them into their new rolls. I got to where I was ok with Ben, but most episodes that Claudia was in were substandard to me. I loved her character in Farscape, but hated her in Stargate.

I grew to LIKE SGU, also. I was disappointed in the beginning, but after I quit looking at it as a Stargate show and started viewing it as a Sci-fi Space type show, I started getting into it.

Atlantis was the best, in my honest opinion. SG1 was great too, but I think what put Atlantis on top for me was that they actually used more...way more... alien technology than SG1 ever did. Shepard and MacKay were great too.

Gonna have to disagree with you on the alien technology part... if you mean, did the Earth Atlantis actually USE the technology? Not really... they used Wraith Stunners and a few pieces of Ancient Tech. SG-1 used Gou'uld Tech, Ancient Tech, Replicator Tech, Asgard Tech, Ori Tech (though agreeably the Ori arc started the downfall of SG-1) and had some interaction with Tollan Tech.

What you like best is fine, haha, but I have to disagree on that SGA had way more alien technology than SG1 ever did...

McKay was awesome. David Hewlett seems like a pretty cool guy as well.

Earth also did a lot of reverse engineering of the alien tech to build their own. They didn't just use existing Puddle Jumpers, they built their own FLEET of carriers. (Which seemed to get destroyed on a regular basis though)

I was a fan of SG1 from the beginning, and grew to love Atlantis as well. But still prefer SG1 over the others. Never was a fan of SGU though, I miss my SG1 but I'm glad I have the DVD and netflix picked them up

I enjoyed all 3 series although SG-1 is my favorite with SGU coming in a close. I know that a lot of fans didn't like the darker tone that SGU took but I was one of the few that did, I thought that it was daring and smart of the producers to take the franchise in another direction instead of just copying SG-1 & Atlantis.

What I thought killed SGU, and many other shows with potential like Terra Nova and Alcatraz, is that they take too long to develop their stride. They start us off with a lot promise and a really cool first episode then immediately go into a long run of stand alone episodes with little to nothing to do with the central plot of the show and by the time they really star to pick up the pace and really delve into the shows mythology the season is already at least or nearly half over by which time most of the show's viewers have lost interest and since stopped watching. SGU was sort of like that for me, I really liked the pilot episode but the show then went into a lot of stand alone episodes that really didn't interconnect and were a bit on the boring side as well, then, after the mid-season break I thought that it really started getting good and ended on a high note. Then comes season 2 which I thought was going to start with the same momentum that season 1 ended on but instead they paced it just like season 1 and didn't pick up until after the break.

I really feel that it's the fault of the networks that some shows that are clearly meant to be serial are instead done mostly episodic with lots of stand alone episodes, I think that the network execs are too afraid of another LOST with its highly serial nature. The studios seem to pander to much to the so-called casual viewers and seem to expect shows to develop a loyal following of only occasional viewers instead of a strong core of regular viewers who want to see how the show develops and see more of the show's mythology and aren't going to get lost watching it.

I loved Atlantis and was totally bummed when it was cancelled. I knew it wasn't the best sci-fi, but it had a TOS feel to it with the weekly fun episodes.

The studios seem to pander to much to the so-called casual viewers and seem to expect shows to develop a loyal following of only occasional viewers instead of a strong core of regular viewers who want to see how the show develops and see more of the show's mythology and aren't going to get lost watching it.

This.

I think it's a tough balancing act, really. You want to get as large and audience as fast as possible to bring in the ratings. Towards that end, there's the temptation to do standalone episodes with no real connection between them. This means that someone can miss a week and tune in later to get caught up without feeling baffled and lost. On the other hand, if all you are is some boring "monster of the week" show....well, who really cares?

I think you need to have a balance of the two. Grimm, I think, did a good job at this in its first season, mixing long-running threads and one-off monster-of-the-week stuff. The second season will likely go more heavily towards stronger arcs, but I guess we'll see.

Part of what I think changes the dynamic, though, is the particular network's online presence. I know that I got caught up on Grimm episodes entirely online. Not even on-demand, but on my PC. A lot of studios probably don't take that into account -- if you put up your whole season, you don't need to worry about "casual viewers." Just let folks catch up online and make sure your show runs ads online when you do. This, I suppose, is one of those "the industry's really changing fast" issues.

It's not that I didn't like Browder and Black, it just got really repetitive, nonsensical, and it totally lost the whole standard-issue feel in the costume department. Suddenly each character wore a slightly different uniform, Black got her feminine jacket with the tiny patches, they replaced the vests with the awful new ones, the jackets became awkward and structured differently. They didn't feel like uniforms anymore, they were just costumes. And also RDA and Davis, liked them a lot. Did not like Beau Bridges' character at all.

Yeah at the end there I felt like they were just phoning it in in alot of areas as well. I am glad you mentioned the costuming because for awhile I knew something was weird and it was bothering me I just didn't pick up on what until now, the uniforms!!

I enjoyed Beau Bridges character actually. He was no Don Davis but he was decent enough.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back