Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

If you think he is scared of getting force-choked. That would actually be a pretty big sign that he has either respect or fear (or both) of the Force. Which would definitely indicate that he is not dismissive of it and in fact is mindful of it.

Someone can be dismissive and mindful of something at the same time. Tarkin's dialogue tell us he believes the Jedi/Force to be a thing of the past and that Vader is a relic of that bygone era. "You and your kind are old news. Tough luck, old chum." That's the dismissive part.

But that doesn't rule out having a healthy fear of what Vader is capable of. He would be stupid and arrogant not to (like Motti). That's the self-preservation part I mentioned.

I like a few of the ideas in that, but like most spoilers, it's a jumbled mess of impressions, confusion, misinformation (if it's accurate at all) I'd wager.

I want clones again. I want Snoke explained, and I want him to be Jorus C'Boath. I want the First Order's unexplained resources to be tied to it. And I want none of these people to have purple hair.

That prediction sounds like a hot mess. Normally I wouldn't look at spoilers, I stayed spoiler free for TLJ until I saw it a month ago. Unfortunately I don't really care enough about the remaining characters or story to to put in the effort anymore. Believe me, it took considerable curtailing of media to not be spoiled for months after the release.

At the risk of lowering people already low opinion of me, I actually halfway like it... well except for the love subplot. At least it's better than "Starkiller 2.0" like Lucas did with the Death Star in RotJ.

I love Return of the Jedi. I was fine with that being the end of the Skywalker Saga, especially with what we ended up with. I stayed spoiler free for TFA and TLJ and I don't care if 9 is spoiled for me.

I'm still toying with the idea of seeing it, if only to see how they try to clean up the mess. I know, I'm cynical about the whole thing. I'm just tired of getting jerked around as a fan.

That prediction sounds like a hot mess. Normally I wouldn't look at spoilers, I stayed spoiler free for TLJ until I saw it a month ago. Unfortunately I don't really care enough about the remaining characters or story to to put in the effort anymore. Believe me, it took considerable curtailing of media to not be spoiled for months after the release.

Kind of further belittle's Luke's sacrifice in TLJ as well. I mean, what they did to him there was bad enough, but to compound it with '...and no one gave a crap', is just horrible.

I love Return of the Jedi. I was fine with that being the end of the Skywalker Saga, especially with what we ended up with. I stayed spoiler free for TFA and TLJ and I don't care if 9 is spoiled for me.

I'm still toying with the idea of seeing it, if only to see how they try to clean up the mess. I know, I'm cynical about the whole thing. I'm just tired of getting jerked around as a fan.

I was fine with ROTJ being the end of the Skywalker Saga, too. For the really hardcore Star Wars fans, I think a better sequel trilogy would've been set, like, three generations after Luke & Co. But for casual viewers and from a business perspective, you kinda need the familiar elements. I think Disney does want to move away from the familiar stuff, or at least really expand upon it, but they're doing it gradually.

Anyway, basically, as soon as they announced the old cast in this one, the writing was on the wall (to me): they would end up dying somehow, because otherwise they couldn't effectively pass the torch to the new generation of heroes.

Personally, I'm excited as far as what could happen in Ep. IX, simply because I have no idea what it'll be. It's not easily predictable, I think. I hope it remains something I wouldn't have easily predicted, or that isn't patently obvious.

When I heard that 7, 8 and 9 were going into production back in 2012 and that they were not basing these new episodes on any of the previous EU material I was excited to be honest. I really enjoyed some of the EU stuff but in this way it would open up the story so that for the first time in 10 years (at that point in 2015) we would have no idea of what the outcome of the story would be. Prior to that with the prequel trilogy we already knew how those movies would end, so at least this trilogy would be a surprise in that regard.

I too would have been fine with these movies if they'd set them a generation or two after Luke and company but I disagree that it was necessary to kill off the original characters in order for new audiences to accept the new generation of freedom fighters. There were other ways for them to pass on the lightsaber so to speak, but we got what we got and sadly it can't be changed now.

Hopefully someone will come along and make a truly great Star Wars movie again. I'm not holding out hope anymore, but I would LOVE to be proven dead wrong.

I know it's been months since TLJ has been released, but I occasionally go back to think of what logic went into some of the decision-making and one thing sticks out as just so wrong in tone to how it should have been approached with Luke's big return to Star Wars.

So we end TFA in this incredible moment where Rey makes this dramatic walk up the hills of Ach-To, looking for Luke. We see him in the distance turn around after all these years and there he is staring at Rey with his old lightsaber in her hand and this silence. What will happen next waits for 2 years of anticipation. JJ Abrams I think had a much different intent for Luke's purpose in the next chapter. The moment suggests this is where everything changes and the ride begins.

And so after so much thought and care into what Luke does first, the decision is made that he blows off Rey and throws the lightsaber behind his back and walks off. Really. If someone showed up one day at my door with something of significance I had 30 years ago, I would immediately be at attention and prompt that first question, "Where did you get this?" I would also immediately start thinking this is pretty serious and I might want to listen to what this person has to say, especially if I was told that my own blood sister sent this person to me. You don't just blow something off like that.

It just started as a joke and that really was off putting.

I'm sure we have all discussed this one moment at nauseum. I just don't get what made Johnson think this was the right direction to take. I can't imagine the struggle Hamill had having to deal with these sort of decisions. I really hope in some way they are able to bring him back in a significant way for Episode 9.

I think the movie would have been far more interesting if 2-3 years had passed and Rey was already being instructed under Luke's mentorship and that would also establish more believably into tapping Rey's powers as well as add some extra mystery as to what exactly he's been teaching her, keeping the sense of mystery alive that always keeps us fans prompting more questions.

JJ has so so much work ahead of him....

Certainly can sympathize with JJ on the daunting task ahead of him, to try and salvage this trilogy, after what was set up in TFA
then the let down that is TLJ.

I know I've given a lot of thought as have most and the only way around the entire issue of TLJ, is that whole movie was nothing
more than Luke having a premonition of the future. A "force vision" so to speak. His self imposed exile and lack of action caused these
event to unfold the way they did. Now you can train Rey and Luke can Kick the FO and Kylo's punk asses. :)

I thought originally that it would be stupid if Luke somehow came back after showing him die. Now I'm starting to lean more towards wanting him to return as actual Luke and not force ghost Luke. Maybe he did try to teleport and is somehow stuck in suspended animation in the universe or something, as stupid as that sounds. IDK, I would love to see Luke back, Reys lineage be important and somehow resolve this mary sue dilemma. And please please no Reylo crap. If JJ can pull this off and salvage what's left of the ST and make it work then he'll certainly be one of my favorites. If the rumor is true about KK leaving possibly by September, then that at least would give me a little hope.

With all that's going on, I won't be surprised if we see Luke kicking ass with a saber and crashing ships just by using the Force. And I mean I won't be surprised if we see that in just the trailer.

Last edited:
With all that's going on, I won't be surprised if we see Luke kicking ass with a saber and crashing ships with just by using the Force. And I mean I won't be surprised if we see that in just the trailer.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah my god, it's painful how right you could be, now I had a flash of Luke going on a Jedi rampage like a videogame character jumping and slashing a la prequels in the trailer only to turn out to be a 15 seconds flashback scene in the actual movie...

I thought originally that it would be stupid if Luke somehow came back after showing him die. Now I'm starting to lean more towards wanting him to return as actual Luke and not force ghost Luke. Maybe he did try to teleport and is somehow stuck in suspended animation in the universe or something, as stupid as that sounds. IDK, I would love to see Luke back, Reys lineage be important and somehow resolve this mary sue dilemma. And please please no Reylo crap. If JJ can pull this off and salvage what's left of the ST and make it work then he'll certainly be one of my favorites. If the rumor is true about KK leaving possibly by September, then that at least would give me a little hope.

I would buy into almost any mysterious reason through the force to give Luke another shot. I think back to Lord of the Rings and Gandalf's return.

Citing the script from the film and not the more complex extended form books:
GANDALF: Darkness took me. And I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead and everyday was as long as a life-age of the earth. But it was not the end. I felt life in me again.

[Camera zooms out from Gandalf’s eye, lying naked and very still. His hair has turned white and wounds are completely healed. He suddenly shudders with a deep gasp and pants as life returns to him]

GANDALF: I've been sent back until my task is done.

Perhaps because of Luke's wisdom of the force and knowledge beyond the other Jedi in that the force doesn't just belong to the Jedi, but in fact, to everyone, and his sacrifice that cost him his life, the force wills him back, making him more powerful than ever imagined. Even moreso than Obi-Wan or Yoda.

That way, you have Luke back in his more pure form of balance and discipline that he had "in his prime", but with the wisdom he gained through time before his death.

If he then finally passed on after Episode 9 then fine, but my god give him the send-off he deserves with the integrity of his character intact.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back