Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

I agree, without the Skywalkers it wouldn't really feel like Star Wars. The same with the anthology films, if they don't centre around established characters or events surrounding the saga movies, then what's the point?

You ask that question now, but here's a little something that you might want to consider. You're in a galaxy that spans hundreds of worlds full of widely creative and diverse forms of life complete with a magical element known as The Force. Give someone enough time, I think they'll be able to come up with a story that doesn't involve a person named Skywalker. What does it say about your creative input that you don't want to do anything if it's not about a Skywalker? Star Wars has proven in the pre-Disney days that it can create great content without having a Skywalker tied to it.

People complain, wanting the universe expanded etc, but if the film was about some new aliens/family on the other side of the outer rim dealing with issues outside of the original adventure, then that is basically any other sci fi film you've ever seen with the SW logo and music slapped on the end of it.

I don't know. Those Ewok movies were very different beasts.

If Rey is NOT a Skywalker than Luke at least needs a line saying "You remind me a lot of myself as a kid" or something to acknowledge/make sense of the fact that she's got so many Skywalker nods.

I never thought that a single post could make me go from wondering how I'm going to wait soo long for episode 8... To just going cold and giving a sad sigh and just not caring anymore.

If her parents are unknown, I say it's worse than the ***** birth of anakin.

And it completely makes me agree with wook and company that this is a lame ass Mary sue "girl power" BS...

Every bit of magic I felt watching this movie, seeing the look luke gives her... Why??? Just because she has his lightsaber.

JJ shouldn't have said **** either way.

If she's really not Luke's daughter... I LITTERALLY don't care about these movies and wish to God ROTJ wouldve been the end.

I'm actually really pissed and broken hearted. I feel like the love of my life just dumped me.

LAMEST SW NEWS EVER.

Just a little bit of an overeaction there, I'd say.

But then as others have said, we've seen this before... with TFA.

If someone let's themselves get this torqued off before they even know that the story will be, then they deserve their fate.

You ask that question now, but here's a little something that you might want to consider. You're in a galaxy that spans hundreds of worlds full of widely creative and diverse forms of life complete with a magical element known as The Force. Give someone enough time, I think they'll be able to come up with a story that doesn't involve a person named Skywalker. What does it say about your creative input that you don't want to do anything if it's not about a Skywalker? Star Wars has proven in the pre-Disney days that it can create great content without having a Skywalker tied to it.

What I'm hearing here is, generic space wizard movie with SW logo slapped on the side. The appeal of SW is way much more than just "the force".

What I'm hearing here is, generic space wizard movie with SW logo slapped on the side. The appeal of SW is way much more than just "the force".

And what I'm hearing from you is: you've already decided that you alone know what *is* Star Wars and what isn't... so our discussing the possibilities is pointless.

Did I get it? Did I get it?

And what I'm hearing from you is: you've already decided that you alone know what *is* Star Wars and what isn't... so our discussing the possibilities is pointless.

Did I get it? Did I get it?
I think what he's saying is based on the evidence provided it sounds to him like a generic space wizard movie with SW logo slapped on the side, etc. Personally, I do feel the main saga should be about the Skywalkers - that's how the first two trilogies worked (or didn't - depending on who you ask, lol). Sure it may've taken George some funny loops to get there, but he did get there.

I think there is room for some side trips - but, you have to be very careful about how you approach that. It could very easily become generic space opera... I hope we don't get to that point - but, it could be a delicate balance - especially with Disney at the helm.

Exactly what I'm saying.

If it goes to far off, it becomes the cynical cash in, slap a SW sticker on it and the mugs will pay.

There is also the possibility that Rey is not necessarily Luke's biological daughter, but rather an orphan that he may have taken under his wing from an early age and hid her away when things went south at his academy.

She was probably too young to remember much and/or too traumatic to the point she blocked most of it out. The "Awakening" is her tapping into those early memories.

Hence why she might be a little quicker on the uptake than most

Exactly what I'm saying.

If it goes to far off, it becomes the cynical cash in, slap a SW sticker on it and the mugs will pay.

I would agree... *if* that happens.

Look... I'm very concerned about what we might get in all of the "Anthology Stories" that they have planned. I hope that they rein those in and don't let them turn into garbage, so it's not that i don't share your trepidation. But I haven't seen that on display with TFA, and I don't expect to see it in Ep. 8 either. I have total faith that those numbered films will be solid films based on what they gave us with TFA. It may not have been perfect (what film truly is?) but I was made to feel that the franchise is in good hands based on TFA.

"Anthology Stories", on the other hand...? Who can say? We will have our first one in a little under two years, so i guess we will see when we see. I am definitely cautiously optimistic (heavy on the cautiously) that Rogue One will be OK.

So as it pertains to anything not a numbered film, i suppose I agree with your skepticism, and perhaps i came off too harshly, so I apologize.

I would agree... *if* that happens.

Look... I'm very concerned about what we might get in all of the "Anthology Stories" that they have planned. I hope that they rein those in and don't let them turn into garbage, so it's not that i don't share your trepidation. But I haven't seen that on display with TFA, and I don't expect to see it in Ep. 8 either. I have total faith that those numbered films will be solid films based on what they gave us with TFA. It may not have been perfect (what film truly is?) but I was made to feel that the franchise is in good hands based on TFA.

"Anthology Stories", on the other hand...? Who can say? We will have our first one in a little under two years, so i guess we will see when we see. I am definitely cautiously optimistic (heavy on the cautiously) that Rogue One will be OK..

I'm with you there, so far its all golden for me. Everything I'm seeing for the future is looking good at the moment, maybe some concerns on the Solo film, but who hasn't?

QUOTE=kristenhenry70;3962962]So as it pertains to anything not a numbered film, i suppose I agree with your skepticism, and perhaps i came off too harshly, so I apologize.[/QUOTE]
Don't worry about it, we're good.

Just watch EPVII for a third time and I can't see she is Lukes child. She says "I thought he was a myth" then Mas ,who is supposed to be a Jedi expert says he could help her but those that were coming back for her won't. Kylo doesn't recognise her at all and Snoke has no knowledge of her existence whats so ever which is odd given that he is desperate to drive the Jedi to extintion. Han doesn't react to her and neither does Leia. I can't see that the daughter of Luke would go unknown to so many key players ,particularly if she was abandoned as a kid as opposed to adopted secretly as a baby. Unless Luke was conducting a very secret affair of the heart . But in that case I don't understand all the unlikely coincidences with Max Von Sydows character, with the map and the Falcon unless ,and its not without this possibility, that JJ chucked as many options in to the mystery box as he could to be explained by somebody later, as he did with the pilot of "Lost".
The Falcon is passed from several people before it gets to Jakku, but Reys knowledge of it definitely comes from her working on it and her technical knowledge of scavenging and she really is a strong fighter even before she gets a lift up the scales with the Force. She is a very compelling character and I hope that shes given a better storyline than we might have the capacity to imagine. I also hope that Kylo gets a better outfit to show off Adams bulk, he has the build to be more like Vader than I first thought. Both he and Finn having both been badly injured can now be allowed to mature as characters.
I hope EpVIII has the courage to go in a different direction for Rey, or if there is this connection to Luke, its a very much subtler one. I'm pleased they have had more time to work on this, from the script forward because its far clearer now how much of VII was changed as it went along, like the falling lightsabre openning, Poes death on Jakku changed to his sudden reappearance later, Phasmas change of circumstance etc. Its also clear that the rumour that Leia may be attacked and left in a coma for most of EpVIII could be very true, Carrie Fisher sadly seems to be struggling with her lines in TFA ,its particularly clear in the "Secrets of " bonus feature . I really hope this film is as much Marks as anyones, he's such a great actor.

Here's the thing... Even now, I watch the Prequels as Obi-Wan-centric. Anakin is just too one-dimensional a character to carry the weight of that trilogy. He helps, but so does Han help Luke in the OT. Han became more complex over the course of the trilogy, to the point that he now can theoretically be the central character of a standalone film (film, not trilogy). In my perfect universe, Anakin would have been developed enough as a character in the Prequels that he got his own after-the-fact standalone film showing how he became Vader from his perspective. What we have, though, is a mash-up of that with the Prequels. *shrug*

Be that as it may, from my viewing perspective the Skywalkers go from peripherally involved to centrally involved. I have no problem with them going peripheral again. Had we gotten Episode I first, and had it been about Kenobi as originally planned, he would have been some random space wizard. :p I also have loved all the Old Republic era stuff -- Tales of the Jedi, the Great Sith War, Knights of the Old Republic, Ulic Qel-Droma, Nomi Sunrider, Mandalore the Indomitable, Cassus Fett, Canderous Ordo, Revan, etc. No Skywalkers anywhere, and they're pretty darn good characters and stories in their own right. And, what's more, they feel like Star Wars. So I, personally, don't need a Skywalker as the main character or central focus.

I'm enjoying this story as it unfolds. I have some speculations and theories, but I'm not overly attached to any of them. I trust the filmmakers (even when they make missteps) until they give me reason not to. And, @kristenhenry70, we have a bit less than one year until the first standalone film. I freaked out a little when you said two, but then my brain caught up with me and reminded me Rogue One comes out this December. ;)

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:

Oscar Isaac getting me excited!

"[Director] Rian [Johnson] is definitely going to places and investigating things that haven’t really been done in the Star Wars universe. For me, it’s so fun getting to explore different things that I wouldn’t have expected in this universe. In some ways it feels like we’re making an independent film. Certain things we get to play with—this kind of intimacy that we get to find—it’s special. It’s been really fun."

"[Director] Rian [Johnson] is definitely going to places and investigating things that haven’t really been done in the Star Wars universe. For me, it’s so fun getting to explore different things that I wouldn’t have expected in this universe. In some ways it feels like we’re making an independent film. Certain things we get to play with—this kind of intimacy that we get to find—it’s special. It’s been really fun."

Sounds very encouraging, but then that was the strength of both "Brick" and " Looper" scripts and characters. I am hoping that this is still the story of the Skywalkers, that of Lukes final struggle with Snoke over the next two films, and Kylo Rens destiny within the First Order. That way it DOES get to remain mostly the story of the Skywalkers but with the added advantage of broadening its universe.

Just watch EPVII for a third time and I can't see she is Lukes child. She says "I thought he was a myth" then Mas ,who is supposed to be a Jedi expert says he could help her but those that were coming back for her won't. Kylo doesn't recognise her at all and Snoke has no knowledge of her existence whats so ever which is odd given that he is desperate to drive the Jedi to extintion. Han doesn't react to her and neither does Leia. I can't see that the daughter of Luke would go unknown to so many key players ,particularly if she was abandoned as a kid as opposed to adopted secretly as a baby. Unless Luke was conducting a very secret affair of the heart . But in that case I don't understand all the unlikely coincidences with Max Von Sydows character, with the map and the Falcon unless ,and its not without this possibility, that JJ chucked as many options in to the mystery box as he could to be explained by somebody later, as he did with the pilot of "Lost".
The Falcon is passed from several people before it gets to Jakku, but Reys knowledge of it definitely comes from her working on it and her technical knowledge of scavenging and she really is a strong fighter even before she gets a lift up the scales with the Force. She is a very compelling character and I hope that shes given a better storyline than we might have the capacity to imagine. I also hope that Kylo gets a better outfit to show off Adams bulk, he has the build to be more like Vader than I first thought. Both he and Finn having both been badly injured can now be allowed to mature as characters.
I hope EpVIII has the courage to go in a different direction for Rey, or if there is this connection to Luke, its a very much subtler one. I'm pleased they have had more time to work on this, from the script forward because its far clearer now how much of VII was changed as it went along, like the falling lightsabre openning, Poes death on Jakku changed to his sudden reappearance later, Phasmas change of circumstance etc. Its also clear that the rumour that Leia may be attacked and left in a coma for most of EpVIII could be very true, Carrie Fisher sadly seems to be struggling with her lines in TFA ,its particularly clear in the "Secrets of " bonus feature . I really hope this film is as much Marks as anyones, he's such a great actor.

Based on all that you've pointed out i completely agree. While it *is* possible that she is still Luke's daughter, i never really did think it was terribly likely because of all that you've pointed out--with a few exceptions:

Han DOES react to her, i believe...albeit in confusing ways. The look on his face when she remarks on Takkodanna's greenery for instance... it looked almost like guilt; as if he felt guilty that she was stuck on Jakku all of her life. but why would that be?

Also when he "offers her a job" on the Falcon. that was definitely a "take you under my wing" gesture. Why would he do this? it's been the Han and Chewie show all these years and he never needed help before. READ: he doesn't *need* help now...but he recognises that she needs saving i suppose. But why the grand gesture?

Certainly not conclusive that she is Luke's...but there is a chance he knows whom she is.

Well Kasdan had said Johnson is working on some "weird" stuff, which could be a bit of a scary thing, but I look forward to seeing it nevertheless...

And, @kristenhenry70, we have a bit less than one year until the first standalone film. I freaked out a little when you said two, but then my brain caught up with me and reminded me Rogue One comes out this December. ;)

--Jonah

I'm way wrong on that one! Dunno why I'd thought it was Dec 2017! THIS Christmas is even better. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Uhhhhmmm... he mentioned "Intimacy" and things not experienced in the Star Wars universe...! I guess this confirms the BRO-MANCE. LOL

Based on all that you've pointed out i completely agree. While it *is* possible that she is still Luke's daughter, i never really did think it was terribly likely because of all that you've pointed out--with a few exceptions:

Han DOES react to her, i believe...albeit in confusing ways. The look on his face when she remarks on Takkodanna's greenery for instance... it looked almost like guilt; as if he felt guilty that she was stuck on Jakku all of her life. but why would that be?

Also when he "offers her a job" on the Falcon. that was definitely a "take you under my wing" gesture. Why would he do this? it's been the Han and Chewie show all these years and he never needed help before. READ: he doesn't *need* help now...but he recognises that she needs saving i suppose. But why the grand gesture?

Certainly not conclusive that she is Luke's...but there is a chance he knows whom she is.

I took Han's look in the cockpit as moe along the lines of "huh, that's too bad". and the job offer comes after Chewie gets shot so maybe Han realized the Wookie is getting a but rusty. :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back