Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

It's okay, the Internet is loaded with people who resort to personal accusations/assumptions to distract from valid criticism.

It was an educated guess based on your comment. Lol. And it was far from a valid criticism. He wasn't mind melding he was reading thoughts. To mind meld with Poe,Poe would have seen Rens thoughts. Only reason Rey saw Rens was that she was using the force to access his and also block his access to hers. Not mind melding so it's just another of the endless cheap shots at JJ.

Ben

To mind meld with Poe, Poe would have seen Rens thoughts

Vulcans mind meld one-way with non-Vulcans, which would be the parallel with Kylo and Poe.

Not mind melding so it's just another of the endless cheap shots at JJ. Ben

Jedi can't extract literal memories from people's minds, like a map. Vulcans can.

JJ also turned Star Trek into an action franchise, and a good deal of the Trek fan base don't like that at all. Again, the Internet is loaded with people who resort to personal accusations/assumptions to distract from valid criticism. 'JJ hater' isn't going to make it go away. In fact, it is you lobbed out the cheap shots at me in case of classic transference.

JJ is an entertainer and you and your son were entertained with TFA with inner child bonding 100%. Wonderful. No debate there.

My nits:
Phasma not needed (this time). I understand they cut her part down a lot, should have just removed all together.
Soundtrack missing as a "character" (really important) I kept asking myself where is the music?
No vast quality or scope, too up close and personal visually.
Frenetic pace (needed breathing room) too much crammed in one movie.
No depth ship wise -- either side.
What I call spaghetti and meatball monsters -- actually the whole scene there was superfluous.
Bump and grind Falcon.

Despite those nits I picked I really had fun. I rate this my third favorite SW flick.

Vulcans mind meld one-way with non-Vulcans, which would be the parallel with Kylo and Poe.

Jedi can't extract literal memories from people's minds, like a map. Vulcans can.

JJ also turned Star Trek into an action franchise, and a good deal of the Trek fan base don't like that at all. Again, the Internet is loaded with people who resort to personal accusations/assumptions to distract from valid criticism. 'JJ hater' isn't going to make it go away. In fact, it is you lobbed out the cheap shots at me in case of classic transference.

JJ is an entertainer and you and your son were entertained with TFA with inner child bonding 100%. Wonderful. No debate there.

Answer this question for me then. Are you a JJ hater and will you ever like something or look forward to something he makes. And answer truthfully. A lot of people went in with agenda to hate it.

And and isn't your last sentence what Star Wars is all about. It is for me.

Ben

Last edited:
Saw it again today, felt better about it this time around than the first, but still wasn't able to enjoy it. Between the screaming and crying 4-year-old in the next row over (seriously people, get a sitter...a PG-13 movie isn't appropriate for kids that age anyway) and people coming in and out of the theater literally every 5 minutes, it was extremely hard to concentrate on the movie.

I think people who want to see a movie in a crowded theater to get the "full experience" are crazy; you miss everything that happens after every laugh line and cheer moment, of which there are a lot in TFA. So I decided I'm going to give it a few weeks for the crowds to die down before I see it again, so maybe this time I can enjoy the movie without all the distractions of a crowded theater.

Kudos to JJ and Disney for filling the theaters for the second straight week, though.
My kid is 4, but he genuinely wanted to see the movie, having watched the OT and being really interested in Kylo Ren and Phasma from the previews. Not all 4 year olds are bad, but I also had the sense to not bring him on opening first showing with the hardcore fans. I waited til Tuesday midday when it was more fair game to bring a child.

He got up once to go to the bathroom, but he was otherwise into it and he got all giddy when Kylo Ren first walked out of the ship. This was also his first time seeing any star wars film on the silver screen. He was laughing all happy when the title came up. It was a cool moment and was proud how well he did through it.

You do have to know your kid though. I'd never let anyone cry and carry on to ruin a movie for others. If there was any disruption like that then you take the kid out of there, period.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Answer this question for me then. Are you a JJ hater and will you ever like something or look forward to something he makes. And answer truthfully.
Hmmm...I don't think that's going to happen, because you falsely believe those you lob cheap shots at owe you some confession.<PLONK>

On the ever-present topic of Rey's parentage...

The Force isn't the only thing that runs stongly in certain family lines. Affinities for certain skill sets do as well.

We know that Rey is mechanically gifted, having been able to repair damage to the Falcon on the fly as well as bypass problems due to other people's idiotic meddling.

We also know that she is a natural pilot, and even a gifted one, as after a few issues with the learning curve, she was able to outfly experienced New Order pilots in a decades old ship that hadn't flown in years, was far larger and more cumbersome, and whose configuration (cockpit mounted off to the side instead of down the centerline) does not make for an easy piloting experience for novice pilots, all without the benefit of a copilot.

Sound like a certain family line of Force-users to anyone else?

Couldn't Rey still be Han and Leia's child, concieved right around the time Kylo turned and Han left for good? Maybe Han never knew he left Leia pregnant with a second child because it wasn't visible yet. Was it Leia who wanted to say something to Han before he left for Starkiller? Can't seem to remember.

Maybe she wanted to tell him: "Han, she's our girl." ?

Its a possibility. I'm starting to think that luke is too obvious as the father. After the second viewing I think maybe Ren may turn back to good. I watched for certain things this time and he does seem very conflicted. Like he knew really wanted to be with the dark side but needed to do something to really push himself in that direction because he wanted it so bad. Thus killing Han. At first I thought of it as just a task to complete his training like Luke facing Vader but now I see it as both. But I think he will get much more powerful before it happens. Also does anybody think that Anakin was communicating back to him as Vader or he was just talking to himself hoping Vader was listening when he sat with Vaders remaining helmet.

Ben

Couldn't Rey still be Han and Leia's child, concieved right around the time Kylo turned and Han left for good? Maybe Han never knew he left Leia pregnant with a second child because it wasn't visible yet. Was it Leia who wanted to say something to Han before he left for Starkiller? Can't seem to remember.

Maybe she wanted to tell him: "Han, she's our girl." ?

It doesn't fit with the timeline.

Episode VII takes place about 30 years after RotJ.

Ben was at or very near adulthood when he turned on Luke.

Assuming he was born as soon after RotJ as possible, that would make it so he turned a bare minimum of 17 years after RotJ.

If Rey were conceived around the time Ben turned, she would only be about 12-13 years old. She is, I believe, 19 at the time of TFA, so unless Ben was able to completely overwhelm all the Jedi at Luke's training facility at age 11 or younger, the theory doesn't really pan out.

This is all assuming that Ben was born as soon after RotJ as possible, which isn't necessarily the case, as Leia would have also been busy rebuilding the Republic, a task that doesn't exactly lend itself to a lot of free time to carry a child to term.

Besides, I seriously doubt that Leia would have kept another child secret from Han. It's just not in her character. Also, if she WERE her child, I think Leia would have devoted every possible means to her rescue instead of focusing solely on Starkiller Base.

I've been thinking on Phasma and her under use in this movie. I'm thinking she survived the trash compacter, being a somewhat competent soldier she is resourceful enough to get out. Due to that being quite the humiliation I imagine she is going to be royally angry. So I'm thinking in the next film is she going to be hunting Finn down with absolute venom. She will his "Jabba" so to speak.

I really hope that snoke is Darth plagius

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I think he could still be. We only saw Snoke in holographic form. Doesn't mean that is what he really looks like in person, or he could be able to change how he looks and there could be a true reveal later on.

They could have a scene where everyone is asleep to prove that they need rest but the movie did not need it .we understood the characters and what they were doing no need to have them sitt around explaining there life to each other just to prove hyperspace takes a while.
And the tentsacle monsters were fine just a sarlak without a pit .
Just my opinion, in ANH while in hyperdrive we learn Han dont believe in the force and Luke wants the blast shield. Up if you expect him to fight. We had nobody to train anybody and Han just told us "its true, all of it"
By the way has anyone noticed that snoke's
Music was almost the same music as ROTS part where palpatine talks to anakin about plagues ? Hmmm wounder what that means ?
A shot of then resting would have actually added more to the film than the spaghetti monsters. Because it makes it a larger journey. Not just a series of intertwined action scenes.

It really ought to be SOMEONE known from the lore/mythology, or else Snoke is just random baddie from nowhere, and wtf? A resurrected Exar Kun would make my fanboy nips tingle.

A shot of then resting would have actually added more to the film than the spaghetti monsters. Because it makes it a larger journey. Not just a series of intertwined action scenes.

Yeah you are right we would all wished to see Han taking a nap rather than off having an adventure because the last thing we expect or need in a sci fi fantasy movie called star wars is action ! it would have been better if as Han sipped hot coco while covered in a blankie he told us about how cool he was then nodded of to sleep instead of us seeing he is still in the game for ourselves
You should look up a movie called "the man from earth" it is a movie about an immortal spanning thousands of years but without all that pesky action getting in the way. It is a good movie don't get me wrong , but there is a reason it did not do well with the general public. I hope for your sake the blu ray has a 4 hour cut of the movie where they sit around while in hyperdrive like the after credts scene in the avengers just eating and complaint how long it takes to get anywhere using the slow as hell hyperdrive of the falcon ..

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back