Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

how creditable it JJ... i don't believe a word he says anymore. 6 years of being lied to about LOST. and the lying to the fans face about Kahn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brace yourself for seperated at birth theories... ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 56
i always thought the second gang was on the same ship as the first. and that they all boarded at once and the second gang circled around capturing han in the middle.

"tell that to con ja club" seemed like the punch line for the club to reveal themselves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every time they said Kanjiklub...

Kanjiklub-01.jpg

I kept thinking to myself... Culture Club...

cultureclub1.jpg

Something like the provenance of the lightsabre is, ultimately, irrelevant to those goals. At best, it's worldbuilding. It doesn't even rise to the status of a Macguffin, because in TFA at least, Luke is the Macguffin. He's the object that propels most of the action (but with which the audience doesn't really need or have a chance to engage). Luke is the Ark of the Covenant, or the microfilm, or the audio recording of the assassination attempt, or whatever. The lightsabre isnt' even that. It is, at most, a clue towards obtaining the Macguffin, like the headpiece to the Staff of Ra, or the photo of the well-dressed gentleman getting into the limousine with the suspicious box, or whathaveyou. It's a link in the chain that moves the characters closer to Luke (and also triggers the start of a separate journey for Rey, which presumably makes up a good portion of the next two films).

So, finding out where it's been, who has had it, and how it got from A to B is ultimately...irrelevant for the story of TFA.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if SOME explanation is offered for its past in Ep. VIII, if only because it's already been highlighted that it's "a story for another time." That story, however, likely will not be all that well developed. A couple options:

1. It was retrieved by Luke, who gave it to Leia, who then gave it to Ben. When Ben killed a bunch of Luke's students, he left it as a "calling card" so that Luke would know for certain who had done this (although by then, as Kylo Ren, Ben would otherwise not be public about his identity). Luke then gives it away to Maz because it's too painful for him to keep.

2. Luke defeated Ben initially, when he started going dark, but spared Ben's life. Luke took the sabre from Ben (who himself had gone and dug it up), and then gave it to Maz.

3. Luke got the sabre and gave it to someone else after he rejected his destiny as a Jedi, following his failure as a teacher. That someone gave it to Maz (or gave it to someone who gave it to someone who.....gave it to Maz).

Alternatively, the issue may never be addressed, if the sabre's backstory doesn't end up relating to the central tale. There's no reason to go into detail if, for example, the sabre was recovered by Lando, who meant to give it to Luke, but then Luke went into hiding, so Lando gave it to Maz. Is that story relevant to the rest of the tale? No, not at all. So it doesn't need to be told in the film.

Basically, I wouldn't get my hopes up that the sabre backstory is going to be (A) particularly elaborate, or (B) explained in the film if the backstory is elaborate. It's probably worth maybe a 30-45sec explanation, and that's it.

I think the lightsaber is just a clue to other parts of the story.

Before I go on, let me say I do not know what has been discussed in this thread. I did not read very much of it and I do not know what if and of my speculations are similar to others. So with that said...

I think the visions Rey encounters are not the path of family or relations but of the lightsaber itself. Maz says the saber called to Rey which lends the belief that the lightsaber has gone from a mere object, to what is now for a lack of a better word, enchanted. I believe the the sounds and the visions of the past and even of the future battle with Kylo Ren is all about the lightsaber.

If this is true. Then additional speculation would suggest the visions were in chronological order. Meaning When Kylo betrayed the Jedi, Rey was just a child. Also, if this is true, I again speculate that the lightsaber was still in the possession of the person on the ship that left Jakuu. Rey's reaction would suggest that it is someone close to her. Mother, father, both? Continuing with this theory, you have to wonder what the special relationship Luke had to that person to let them use that lightsaber.

All other speculation of mine beyond this point is just wild leaps.

As far as how the lightsaber got from Cloud City back to Luke. I don't think that would be a hard story to tell. It could simply be that it was recovered by the Empire and kept by the Emperor. Once the Empire fell, the lightsaber found its way back to its rightful owner.

I also agree that interactions in TFA could correlate to the lightsaber at one time belonging to Ben (aka Kylo Ren).

By the way that 'Luke Skywalker',...'Han Solo' .....& 'The Millennium Falcon' are talked about in TFA,....they are legends,......top billing in the heroes of their time.....everyone knows the stories,...how fast the Falcon can go etc,.....in the Star Wars universe there are Star Wars fans

The battle of Luke & Vader at Bespin's Cloud City is a well know story,....sure thats where Luke lost his hand,...& his fathers lightsaber.....& everyone knows that very lucky (& now rich) Ugnaut that found that lightsaber in a scrap-pile......everyone has gone mad for memorabilia of the Star Wars legend,....even the melted helmet of Vader found amongst ashes on the Forest moon of Endor

J

By the way that 'Luke Skywalker',...'Han Solo' .....& 'The Millennium Falcon' are talked about in TFA,....they are legends,......top billing in the heroes of their time.....everyone knows the stories,...how fast the Falcon can go etc,.....in the Star Wars universe there are Star Wars fans

The battle of Luke & Vader at Bespin's Cloud City is a well know story,....sure thats where Luke lost his hand,...& his fathers lightsaber.....& everyone knows that very lucky (& now rich) Ugnaut that found that lightsaber in a scrap-pile......everyone has gone mad for memorabilia of the Star Wars legend,....even the melted helmet of Vader found amongst ashes on the Forest moon of Endor

J
I've always felt like the duel between luke and Vader wad a pretty closed door affair. The whole city was under evacuation at the time.

This is a huge galaxy and there doesn't seem to be any real Media to speak of. And considering that so much of the galaxy is in despair, I highly doubt much is made of it all. Which is one of the reasons knowledge of the jedi could essentially dissappear in generation.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I've always felt like the duel between luke and Vader wad a pretty closed door affair. The whole city was under evacuation at the time.

This is a huge galaxy and there doesn't seem to be any real Media to speak of. And considering that so much of the galaxy is in despair, I highly doubt much is made of it all. Which is one of the reasons knowledge of the jedi could essentially dissappear in generation.

I'm only going by what is said & mentioned of Han, Luke & The Falcon in the film.......They are now legends

J

I'm only going by what is said & mentioned of Han, Luke & The Falcon in the film.......They are now legends

J
That's true. I guess you could put me in the same camp that a lot of fans felt when the Phantom menace came out. This felt like enough of a departure that I have a hard time accepting it. Maybe after episode 8 it will be easier.

all i know is, if we ever get a story on how the saber was found from cloud city and ended up in Maz's hands we will all end up itching about it, couldnt put the B in front of the itching...

all i know is, if we ever get a story on how the saber was found from cloud city and ended up in Maz's hands we will all end up itching about it, couldnt put the B in front of the itching...
And THAT is the problem with the mystery box.

After you put a mystery box out there, you better be able to fill with something at LEAST as good as gwynith paltrow's head

And THAT is the problem with the mystery box.

After you put a mystery box out there, you better be able to fill with something at LEAST as good as gwynith paltrow's head

like everything else with JJ he just does it and says "we'll have someone else worry about it, and when it goes bad, blame him!" LOL

But that's what I am saying. IMHO, the story that will explain the path of the lightsabers will be about something else, the lightsaber will just be along for the ride.

Look at A New Hope, the main focus of the story is really about Luke's Hero Journey. We don't focus on the Death Star plans getting from point A to point B.

But that's what I am saying. IMHO, the story that will explain the path of the lightsabers will be about something else, the lightsaber will just be along for the ride.

Look at A New Hope, the main focus of the story is really about Luke's Hero Journey. We don't focus on the Death Star plans getting from point A to point B.

i hope we find out in a comic or book. i liked the idea of a alien using it to start fires.

I'm jut hoping whatever it is -- lightsaber or Rey or both -- that was/were behind the vision, it makes sense. As it stands, too much is weird. It's not Rey's past -- she wasn't even born yet at the time of the Cloud City duel. I find it questionable it's the lightsaber's past -- I figure the slaughter of the Younglings or massacre of the Separatist leaders would leave more of an imprint than that. Maybe something to do with Luke? Key turning points in his destiny as a Jedi, whether he was present for them or not? *spreads hands helplessly* Not enough data, at this point.

--Jonah

like everything else with JJ he just does it and says "we'll have someone else worry about it, and when it goes bad, blame him!" LOL
And that's it. No matter how clever it is, it will always be divisive. And then there are those mysteries that font even need to be. The self important ones.

BUT!!....is it even worth worrying about?

Because Maz says thats a story for another time, it doesn't mean we have to be privy of it

There's bits we don't see,....bits that we have to fill in ourselves

There are bits I always wondered about,...like how did the landing gear of the Falcon come down when there was no-one on board?

Falcon%20landing%20gear.jpg

But is it really worth worrying about?

Perhaps the lightsaber story will never be explained,....I don't really care,....if there was a backstory of Luke giving it to young Kylo/Ben,...thats cool,...but if it was salvaged & sought after as a relic, I'd prefer not to have them shoehorn that explanation in

J

BUT!!....is it even worth worrying about?

Because Maz says thats a story for another time, it doesn't mean we have to be privy of it

There's bits we don't see,....bits that we have to fill in ourselves

There are bits I always wondered about,...like how did the landing gear of the Falcon come down when there was no-one on board?

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums...cale Movie Set Falcon/Falcon landing gear.jpg

But is it really worth worrying about?

Perhaps the lightsaber story will never be explained,....I don't really care,....if there was a backstory of Luke giving it to young Kylo/Ben,...thats cool,...but if it was salvaged & sought after as a relic, I'd prefer not to have them shoehorn that explanation in

J
Sure, there's lots of little things.

But that lightsabre going down there was a pretty big moment. It was kind of a big deal.

Imagine if boba fett just "showed up" unscathed in episode 7 and he gave the same response?

Sure, there's lots of little things.

But that lightsabre going down there was a pretty big moment. It was kind of a big deal.

Imagine if boba fett just "showed up" unscathed in episode 7 and he gave the same response?

I don't see that as comparable

Its his weapon.....how did Kylo get Vaders Helmet,...thats more comparable

There are other answers I need,....R2's inactiviy,....Rey's parentage & why the Force is SO strong in her

J

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back