Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

I don't think it's discussing flaws in a bad way. Plot holes aren't necessary flaws - maybe there's potential backstory there or something going on between the scenes - or sometimes you just miss something.

Case in point: Rey and the Falcon. We know she has some sort of relationship with Unkarr Plutt based on the vision she had... maybe she had been working on it for him?

Oh if you mean discussing questions or speculating, I'm ALL for that, in a fun way.

Oh if you mean discussing questions or speculating, I'm ALL for that, in a fun way.

In the novel, or novella, Before the Awakening Rey has a piloting trainer she built at her home that can account for some of her piloting skills, so that can explain her flying skills. But in the film, more germane, she says to Finn she has no idea how she was able to fly as well as she did which speaks to her latent Force abilities.

Last edited:
So when Kylo Ren slams his helmet down after being manipulated by Rey it lands in a heap of ash and ash dust......Darth Vader's remains???? It was in the torture chamber and not Ren's personal quarters thus I am not sure......!?

So when Kylo Ren slams his helmet down after being manipulated by Rey it lands in a heap of ash and ash dust......Darth Vader's remains???? It was in the torture chamber and not Ren's personal quarters thus I am not sure......!?
It was also on Starkiller Base and not the Star Destroyer Finalizer. It also didn't look like Vader's helmet was on ashes/dirt/whatever when we saw the helmet.

True the Vader bucket wasn't there but that looked like alot of ash and bits/pieces gray in color......maybe just pile of heated coals used for torturing? I thought possibly Vader Ash!

The reason I know I don't want to discuss the flaws (and yes, it has them) is because I'm seriously tired of complaining about SW movies on the internet. I'm really over it. TFA was a lot of fun and made me feel good and rekindled my love of SW. I don't want to pick away at that good feeling like a scab until I'm as bitter and pissy about TFA as I am about the prequels. I just want to enjoy it. My kids aren't perfect, but I don't want to gab about their flaws all the time either. I'd rather focus on the positive.

You sir have hit the nail well and truly on the head. Bravo. I like you. :)

Ben

The fact that the new owners have to repair the credibility of the franchise,....taking a step back....to make sure everybody's on board & comfortable...before they start off in confidence on a new journey.....& some people cant see what is going on

J

JJ Abrams said:
"WE GO BACKWARDS IN SOME WAYS TO GO FORWARDS IN THE IMPORTANT WAYS."

J.J. Abrams responds to fans who say Star Wars: The Force Awakens was a 'rip-off'

JJ Abrams said:
The vast majority of not only audiences but also critics and awards groups have strongly embraced The Force Awakens. Interestingly, though, those who like it and those who dislike it tend to cite the same reason: It reminds them very much of their experience seeing the original Star Wars. "I respect every reaction," says Abrams. "I completely see that that is a problem for some people." That said, he feels the case should be made for why that was necessary.
"It was obviously a wildly intentional thing that we go backwards, in some ways, to go forwards in the important ways, given that this is a genre — that Star Wars is a kind of specific gorgeous concoction of George [Lucas]'s — that combines all sorts of things. Ultimately the structure of Star Wars itself is as classic and tried and true as you can get. It was itself derivative of all of these things that George loved so much, from the most obvious, Flash Gordon and Joseph Campbell, to the [Akira] Kurosawa references, to Westerns — I mean, all of these elements were part of what made Star Wars."
He continues, "I can understand that someone might say, 'Oh, it's a complete rip-off!' We inherited Star Wars. The story of history repeating itself was, I believe, an obvious and intentional thing, and the structure of meeting a character who comes from a nowhere desert and discovers that she has a power within her, where the bad guys have a weapon that is destructive but that ends up being destroyed — those simple tenets are by far the least important aspects of this movie, and they provide bones that were well-proven long before they were used in Star Wars."

J

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need to go backwards to go forwards.

That is just stupid. It's a philosophical justification for a lack of imagination

JJ himself has said that he doesn't really accept the prequels. That's a problem,

If disney has accepted them and the clone wars as canon then you move forward with with that. There is no reason that you can't "capture the feeling of 1977" AND make a new chapter in the ongoing saga.

Frankly, I believe that they should have been inspired by ESB rather than aspired to be ANH.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

To travel back to the story that started it all is not a new thing for the Star Wars films.....after the long gap of limbo,....George basically retells ANH again in TPM,....Darth Vader comes from the same desert planet that the protagonist came from in the original,.....the Jedi who finds Anakin dies in the film,.....Anakin attacks the Death Star shaped battleship in a one manned Starfighter with the same droid his son used in ANH.....& destroys the battleship against all odds ending the film

Why did George do this?....to make sure that all those people who had been waiting, that all was good & familiar,...to re-assure & push those buttons all over again.....a soft reboot

But now things are slightly different,......George had to convince the moviegoers & fans that he was going to continue & improve the quality......but instead the PT did not please everyone,.....it had lost a main ingredient.....character development & clever scripts,....they were flat & two dimentional

The new owners are well aware of the faults in the franchise as it stood,......STOP!!

Cancel the Clone Wars

Focus on what was successful,...what the general public think of what Star Wars is

Reboot

Re-focus on the original characters......There are no Prequel toys in Disney Stores

The use of elements from the most successful Star Wars film...(until now) is the perfect way to coax all those fans who thought the OT was cool,....but now considered SW as nerdy, to come back & enjoy the ride

The future for the franchise has never been so positive

J

Well I agree with JJ and for most people it's paid off. Now that we have a jumping point we begin the real journey with EPVIII. Can't wait. :)

Ben

But, as I said before, I thought it was very possible the repittion was intended for the story itself. It's very much WWI and WWII. The world too soon forgot the horrors of the first and the defeated power rose again using similar means to be the evil player once again in a second WW.

Those who forget their history are doomed to repeat it.

I swore I wouldn't be drawn into this thread again but its been that kind of day. Too wet to do anything and I'm in the mood.
So:
Still to go and see it a second time , but I have been watching ALL the others (including the Prequels).
And one thing I am picking up very strongly is just how the nature of the Force is changing as we get to the seventh film but its something I think will explain much about Reys "sudden " abilities and Kylos severe personality changes .
When Obi Wan choose to "die" in ANH its the first time that a "dead" JEDI can then openly influence the living through the Force. Not the first to have those visions of the future, but the first to be able to deliberately affect any decision made by anyone using it to affect an outcome in the real world in real time, regardless of whether they were conscious of it or not. And that all came about because of the studies he under took through Yodas bidding when in exhile,looking over Luke on Tatooine after ROTS.
Nothing has ever been explained about the Force "ghosts" other than they can now interact with living Jedi to assist them to varying degrees (and others, like Han finding Luke in the snow in TESB) so you get Luke crashing near to Yoda on Dagoba, Luke calling to Leia and Vader at the end of TESB, Luke causing conflict in his Fathers soul in ROTJ but rejecting the Emperors and possibly Han finding the Falcon and all the other unlikely coincidence we see in VII . So it suggests in the new sequels that it is more likely more then ever that the ability of many Force users has stepped up a level, both in life and death, beyond being the simple direct influence on the weak minded by the living as we saw in the OT.
So is it possible now that the powerful mind control shown by Snoke over the Kylo, all the brain washing of the enslaved First Order troops, and Reys sudden intuitive grasp of elements of the Force directly links to this and this is all a big change we've yet to understand? It feels like that to me ,certainly when I consider how Rey sudden abilities , Kylos terrible moment with Han ,where his murderous act seems almost subconscious and Lukes clear recognition of Rey on the island. I cannot but hope that Mr Johnson has figured this all out for 8/9. Perhaps that's where all this weird stuff that Kasdan has mentioned comes from?

It also makes rather good sense that a lot of filming for 8 will be done on land in Ireland rather on an island in Ireland. Travel to and from it, plus the fact it is a highly dangerous place (Mark has already stated he nearly fell badly there had it none been for his guide) plus the Ford door incident makes it perfect sense to me that they film a lot more at the Jedi temple than is suggested by that brief shoot back last year. So we could be seeing a great deal more about the new direction Luke will be taking us, Rey and the Force in the future. I cannot wait!

To travel back to the story that started it all is not a new thing for the Star Wars films.....after the long gap of limbo,....George basically retells ANH again in TPM,...
Yes, in some way, and it was criticized for it even back then. Just as any book in the EU that has introduced a new superweapon has been criticized as being unoriginal. Lucasfilm should have learned from that.

Yet, TPM's story was not a copy of ANH's story as much as TFA's is and unlike Arndt/Kasdan/Abrams, George Lucas had been constrained in what the story had to be.
GL had to show Anakin's origin story, there needed to be a link from Anakin somehow to the Lars family and the technology shown had to transcend somehow into what we see in the original trilogy.
However, Anakin was not an orphan wanted by the bad guys, there was no McGuffin hidden in an astromech droid, a charming smuggler was not confronted by gangsters that he owed money to, the droid control ship was not a superweapon and Qui-Gon Jinn did not sacrifice himself. Do I need to go on?

I swore I wouldn't be drawn into this thread again but its been that kind of day. Too wet to do anything and I'm in the mood.
So:
Still to go and see it a second time , but I have been watching ALL the others (including the Prequels).
And one thing I am picking up very strongly is just how the nature of the Force is changing as we get to the seventh film but its something I think will explain much about Reys "sudden " abilities and Kylos severe personality changes .
I guess I'm hopeful that there will some follow up on Rey's sudden burst in Force usage. It's a little too convenient that she can do all of this stuff so quickly without any guidance. She didn't even seem to believe that the Jedi were real - yet, she knew about the Jedi Mind Trick? If we learn about her past in the next movie(s), this is something I want to know more about.

Did she have some sort of training as a young child? I hate the idea of some sort of mind wipe - but, I guess it is possible that Luke (or someone) may've repressed some memories before she was left on Jakku.

Kylo's personality changes didn't seem sudden to me. He came off as someone conflicted.

Yes, in some way, and it was criticized for it even back then. Just as any book in the EU that has introduced a new superweapon has been criticized as being unoriginal. Lucasfilm should have learned from that.

Yet, TPM's story was not a copy of ANH's story as much as TFA's is and unlike Arndt/Kasdan/Abrams, George Lucas had been constrained in what the story had to be.
GL had to show Anakin's origin story, there needed to be a link from Anakin somehow to the Lars family and the technology shown had to transcend somehow into what we see in the original trilogy.
However, Anakin was not an orphan wanted by the bad guys, there was no McGuffin hidden in an astromech droid, a charming smuggler was not confronted by gangsters that he owed money to, the droid control ship was not a superweapon and Qui-Gon Jinn did not sacrifice himself. Do I need to go on?

But really those echoes that George did use were not really needed to tell Vader's origin.....my point is that he did revisit elements of ANH....if Vader originated from a new planet it would have made more sense for Obi-Wan to hide Luke with HIS brother Owen (as the James Khan novel of RotJ stated), rather than hiding Luke with Vader's step-brother.

George just wanted to hit the same notes as he did with ANH

J

JJ was interviewed on NPR yesterday. Much of what was said was in the same vein as elsewhere, and I was just kinda enjoying the ride while driving. Then he gave what is probably my favorite description of Daisy thus far: "If sunshine was talented..."

Love it.

--Jonah

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back